Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance and the TDF
Quote | Reply
I know I am not Lance...BUT, if I were..there is NO WAY in HE*L that I would bless the French with attending their little race in July - unless they change their attitudes (Yeah, right) very quickly.

Found this on the web - very entertaining.

The following advisory for American travellers heading for France was compiled from information provided by the US State Department, the Central Intelligence Agency, the US Chamber of Commerce, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centres for Disease Control, and some very expensive spy satellites that the French don't know about. It is intended as a guide for American travellers only.
No guarantee of accuracy is ensured or intended.
General overview: France is a medium-sized foreign country situated in the continent of Europe. It is an important member of the world community, though not nearly as important as it thinks. It is bounded by Germany, Spain, Switzerland and some smaller nations of no particular consequence and with not very good shopping.
France is a very old country with many treasures, such as the Louvre and EuroDisney. Among its contributions to western civilisation are champagne, Camembert cheese and the guillotine.
Although France likes to think of itself as a modern nation, air conditioning is little used and it is next to impossible to get decent Mexican food. One continuing exasperation for American visitors is that the people wilfully persist in speaking French, though many will speak English if shouted at. As in any foreign country, watch your change at all times.
The People: France has a population of 54 million people, most of whom drink and smoke a great deal, drive like lunatics, are dangerously oversexed, and have no concept of standing patiently in line. The French people are in general gloomy, temperamental, proud, arrogant, aloof, and undisciplined; and those are their good points.
Most French citizens are Roman Catholic, though you would hardly guess it from their behaviour. Many people are communists, and topless sunbathing is common. Men sometimes have girls' names like Marie, and they kiss each other when they hand out medals.
American travellers are advised to travel in groups and to wear baseball caps and colourful trousers for easier mutual recognition.
Safety: In general, France is a safe destination, though travellers are advised that, from time to time, it is invaded by Germany. By tradition, the French surrender more or less at once and, apart from a temporary shortage of Scotch whisky and increased difficulty in getting baseball scores and stock market prices, life for the visitor generally goes on much as before.
A tunnel connecting France to Britain beneath the English Channel has been opened in recent years to make it easier for the Government to flee to London.
History: France was discovered by Charlemagne in the Dark Ages. Other important historical figures are Louis XIV, the Huguenots, Joan of Arc, Jacques Cousteau and Charles de Gaulle, who was President for many years and is now an airport.
Government: The French form of government is democratic but noisy. Elections are held more or less continuously, and always result in a run-off. For administrative purposes, the country is divided into regions, departments, districts' municipalities, cantons, communes, villages, cafes, booths and floor tiles. Parliament consists of two chambers, the Upper and Lower (though, confusingly, they are both on the ground floor), whose members are either Gaullists or communists, neither of whom is to be trusted, frankly. Parliament's principal preoccupations are setting off atomic bombs in the South Pacific, and acting indignant when anyone complains. According to the most current State Department intelligence, the President now is someone named Jacques. Further information is not vailable at this time.
Culture: The French pride themselves on their culture, though it is not easy to see why. All their songs sound the same, and they have hardly ever made a movie that you would want to watch for anything but the nude scenes. And nothing, of course, is more boring than a French novel.
Cuisine: Let's face it, no matter how much garlic you put on it, a snail is just a slug with a shell on its back. Croissants, on the other hand, are excellent, though it is impossible for most Americans to pronounce this word. In general, travellers are advised to stick to cheeseburgers at leading hotels such as Sheraton and Holiday Inn.
Economy: France has a large and diversified economy, second only to Germany's in Europe, which is surprising because people hardly work at all. If they are not spending four hours dawdling over lunch, they are on strike and blocking the roads with their lorries and tractors. France's principal exports, in order of importance to the economy, are wine, nuclear weapons, perfume, guided missiles, champagne, high-calibre weaponry, grenade launchers, landmines, tanks, attack aircraft, miscellaneous armaments and cheese.
Public holidays: France has more holidays than any other nation in the world. Among its 361 national holidays are 197 saints' days, 37 National Liberation Days, 16 Declaration of Republic Days, 54 Return of Charles de Gaulle in Triumph as if he Won the War Single-Handed Days, 18 Napoleon Sent into Exile Days, 17 Napoleon Called Back from Exile Days, and 112 France is Great and the Rest of the World is Rubbish Days. Other important holidays are National Nuclear Bomb Day January 12), the Feast of St Brigitte Bardot Day (March 1), and National Guillotine Day (November 12).
Conclusion: France enjoys a rich history, a picturesque and varied landscape, and a temperate climate. In short, it would be a very nice country if it weren't inhabited by French people. The best thing that can be said for it is that it is not Germany.
A word of warning: The consular services of the United States government are intended solely for the promotion of the interests of American businesses such as McDonald's, Pizza Hut and the Coca-Cola Corporation.
In the event that you are the victim of a crime or serious injury involving at least the loss of a limb, report to the American Embassy between the hours of 5.l5 am and 5.20 am on a Tuesday or Wednesday, and a consular official who is supremely indifferent to your plight will give you a list of qualified dentists or something similarly useless.

Remember, no one ordered you to go abroad. We advise you to take your holidays at Miami Beach.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R9, you used to make good contributions to the forum. Now you just blather. What happened?

Lance will go to France and, as long as his team (which includes people from a bunch of countries) gets healthy, win the Tour again. He's actually a better statesman in some ways than the other almighty Texan, because Lance learned to speak a bit of French so he knew what he was talking about.

To get this thread back onto a sporting track: Sports and politics have been intertwined for a long time, and they are one of the best ways to bring people together. US athletes acting as ambassadors abroad would be a good thing right now. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, let me get my Nomex underwear on.....

OK, I would love to see Lance, an American, clean up the TDF for a fifth (and sixth) time. In a close second place, a Spanish team. I don't know about Lance, but I would love to ride my bicycle through downtown Paris waving a giant American flag.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you really need to get a grip on reality.....

and go Lance, win the dam race

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
of course, and Tyler is a terrorist [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he accepted the best climber jersey at PAris Nice... Let's boycott all French products (but be careful it's not just cheese your electricity could be produced by French utilities, your water too, the cement in your house/roads... is most likely French or German, your company is may be partially financed by French banks); let's put French people living in the states in camps, and put all these stupid anti war americans in them too; we'll decide soon for the democrates...
And btw China, Russia, Germany, Canada... said no to war too; so let's boycot all the products coming from these countries (the list starts to get pretty long I guess). Many muslims countries said no, let's boycott their oil.
Let's build a very high wall at the Canadian frontier, same with Mexico.

You're a smart guy Record9ti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it up will ya. France is a democratic nation with a democratically elected government. If their people and elected government don't happen to feel the same way about having a war as does President Bush, then that is their right.

BTW, I just bought a bottle of French red wine yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct----but do you notice that when he said something against France people were upset but soooo many on this forum badmouth the USA and it seems like most think that is really cool. I for one wish that wouls stop.
Andrew hope to meet you someday face to face to discuss how terrible the united states is!
Quote Reply
I didn't "badmouth" the US [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to show that Record9ti's xenophobia is not helping at all...
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't "badmouth" the US [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard,

You answered very well the post.... I don't think you "badmouth" the US... Actually this xenophobia that some posters are showing is something really bad !!!!!!! The history shows that America has being made based on Immigrants from all of the world.... It's so silly to hear all those posts !!!!!!!

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: of course, and Tyler is a terrorist [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And btw China, Russia, Germany, Canada... said no to war too; so let's boycot all the products coming from these countries

hee hee. I'm just thinking if everyone boycotted all Chinese products. There will be a lot of naked folks walking around. Hope it's not too cold.

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Give it up will ya. France is a democratic nation with a democratically elected government. If their people and elected government don't happen to feel the same way about having a war as does President Bush, then that is their right.

BTW, I just bought a bottle of French red wine yesterday.
I hope you gag on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
R9, you used to make good contributions to the forum. Now you just blather. What happened?

Off Topic is off topic. I get very upset when countries (I.E. France, Germany, Russia) do not do the right thing. France did just exactly the WRONG thing - they stated that no matter what they would not support military action - period. That is no way to take care of things on an international level..."Do this (this being 1441) or we will do noting" will not create a situation where SH would disarm.

However...the other people here are right - Lance strolling down the streets of Paris in a bright yellow jersey with an American flag on his back would speak volumes about the mite and persistance Americans on a whole.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice sentiment, but then you probably think Bud is a premium beer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont drink

SADAM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
However...the other people here are right - Lance strolling down the streets of Paris in a bright yellow jersey with an American flag on his back would speak volumes about the mite and persistance Americans on a whole.

He can do that with his eight "American" team mates...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you read???

They have NEVER stated that they would not support military action. I have said that over and over again, but clearly noone who likes Bush took the time to read that Chirac said "he would not support a resolution where the only outcome is war".

Bush failed miserably re. diplomacy (where his dad had done really well in 90-91) so he took France as a scapegoat to justify why so many countries were not following the US.
Doesn't it strike you as odd that your biggest allies Canada and Mexico do not support the war at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first post with any viable content you have made in a while. Congratualtions

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and the TDF [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can you read???

They have NEVER stated that they would not support military action. I have said that over and over again, but clearly noone who likes Bush took the time to read that Chirac said "he would not support a resolution where the only outcome is war".

Bush failed miserably re. diplomacy (where his dad had done really well in 90-91) so he took France as a scapegoat to justify why so many countries were not following the US.
Doesn't it strike you as odd that your biggest allies Canada and Mexico do not support the war at all?
Stop trying to convince us that France doesn't suck. They have been exposed as the back stabbing pussies they are. I'm done with that country. Lance should stay home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is so easy to criticize someone elses decision and and ability by saying they failed miserably. But when that criticism is not followed up with an alternative, the crit becomes mute. This is a complicated issue, there are no easy answers for any of our world leaders. It is to bad that France, Germany, and Russia could not provide another viable and decisive resolution in handling the situation. After 12 years of diplomacy by two different American administrations, what has changed, nothing. SH has manipulated the world community for 12 years and did not make any real efforts to disarm. Enough is enough, get it over with so IRAQ and its people, along with the rest of the world can move on and strive to find better solutions to situations such as this. Perhaps some day we can even eat FRENCH FRIES again. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xenophobia runs deep in you doesn't it?

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
xenophobia runs deep in you doesn't it?
Did you just learn a new word today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Francois, the problem with France is not that they opposed this war. Plenty of countries opposed the war. China, Russia, Canada, Germany. We have no problem with that. We are right and they are wrong, but we grant them the right to be foolish.

France was in a category all its own. Powell told France not to vote for 1441 unless they were prepared to back it up with force if Saddam did not comply. The French agreed, but it was just a tactic. They stabbed Powell in the back by suckering him and his reputation into going the UN route, then betraying their commitments. Then they went around Africa trying to bribe nations to vote against us in the UN. This is not the behavior of a friendly nation.

When you add the long running relationship between Chirac and Hussein, France's attempt to make Iraq a nuclear power with nuclear weapons (thank you Israel), their violation of the sanctions including recent sales of Mirage parts and as a broker for rocket fuel ingredients into the equation, we are talking about a serious problem. I am expecting that we will get proof in the next couple of weeks that not only does Iraq have awful weapons, but that France was a partner in their development.

France has been defending Iraq in the UN for over 20 years. They opposed the creation of the very UN inspection group that they demanded be given "more" time. They have been prostituting themselves apparently mostly in return for oil to their national oil company and revenue for military equipment. Like a cheap hooker, they have sold out for a very low price, and the revenue stream is about to be cut off.

The problem with France is very serious and is not to be trivialized by ranting about wine boycotts. France has seriously damaged the UN, Nato and even the EU. Chirac rant against our Eastern European allies was a disgrace. Is this the same Chirac that needs to stay in office or go to jail? Yes, it is. France made poor choices.

I won't be visiting that beautiful country again, but I do hope Lance kicks some serious butt in July.

Proud to be an American,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
naw just tired of right wing temper tantrums.

if you feel that they won't play the game your way and you want to take your ball a run home feel free to do so. The rest of us will get along fine without you

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
naw just tired of right wing temper tantrums.

if you feel that they won't play the game your way and you want to take your ball a run home feel free to do so. The rest of us will get along fine without you

Well I'm tired of misguided misinformed panty waist liberals.

Nice post Art.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey I've earned my right working for the government to say my opinon and I'm no liberal, My wife is an ex navy pilot . my dad is ex navy, my father in law did 2 terms in Nam as a FAC and has a box of medals, my buddies are flying combat missions right now so shut up.

I don't hate the "French" I may not like their leaders but then again the French People by in large have nothing to do with the "Governments" decisions any more that you effect what GWB chooses to do. I find your stance to be narrow minded and hatefull.

That said I could probably sit down and still drink a beer with you.

"on your Left"
Quote Reply

Prev Next