Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated!
Quote | Reply
Lance Armstrong and his wife, Kristin, have separated after nearly five years of marriage. The Austin American-Statesman reports the Armstrongs issued a statement today saying they are working through some sensitive issues. Details weren't released. Armstrong lives in Austin but departs for Spain on Monday to prepare for the European cycling season. Kristin Armstrong and the couple's three children will stay in Austin. The couple married in May of 1998.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not really any of our business. If he was getting divorced from the USPS team that'd be a whole other matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry ... the Armstrongs issued a statement to the public, and since I'm here in Austin I thought I'd pass it along to you all. I'm a divorced single-dad and I can tell you that even separation was tough and it definitely affected my training and racing. Separation and/or divorce WITH children is even tougher. I hope it doesn't affect his Tour.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's not really any of our business."

Agree 100%, especially having been there myself with a divorce. Unfortunately, the reality is that Lance is a celebrity so his personal life tends to become a public interest issue. In a society where "stars" are here today and forgot by tomorow morning, it is the price they pay for the fame (and salaries). Not saying that is right, but it is the way it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's not really any of our business."

Given that the Armstrongs chose to share details of their marriage (including incredibly intimate details of the conception of their first child) with the public through Lance's official website, I don't think you can criticize someone for sharing the Armstrongs' public statement regarding the state of their marriage. No one is prying into their private lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Sad. The whole state of the institution of marriage is pretty sad right now. People make promises without understanding their gravity. Very sad. I hope Lance can go to the things that give him strength and comfort- whatever those things are. I hope his wife can do the same. Terrible shame for the kids. Man, what is our society coming too??? Everybody seems so darn selfish, stubborn and set in their ways. Remember the commercials with Lance and his kid? Damn. What the hell are we supposed to believe in anymore? Two people say "...'til death do us part." Does that mean anything anymore? Anyway, I feel for both of them. Very sad. Well, hopefully a better tomorrow for everyone involved. Tough to imagine in a world where promises mean nothing and individual ambitions seem to rule eveything.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad. I've done a couple of IM's and a significant amount of marital counseling and there is no comparison, a durable marriage is harder to achieve and yet much more so are the rewards. When I do pre-marital "coaching" about what it will take to go the distance I use IM metaphors. It largely falls on deaf ears, expectedly so. I hope when the going gets tough they will remember its p/o the journey. Conflict is to be expected, it can lever destruction or reconstitution and durability. It ain't easy, but those tough climbs are worth it. Hope and prayers for L&K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies to you IronDad. I need to get off my high horse. I guess it is news but it's an unfortunate situation for Lance or anyone to be in. And you're right, it is a case where his personal life could affect his professional racing.
Quote Reply
Civility [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronDad and carbon,

Big kudos and genuine appreciation for the civility of your exchange with each other. What could easily have become a nasty flame war turned out to be a real example for behaviour on- and offline.

Best,

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Civility [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I am aware of four people in the world that can quote the captian... and probably still listento him. Great stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It never ceases to amaze me... America's fascination with the famous. Personally, I could not care less what underwear Micheal Jordan wears - or about Mark Allen's spiritual life - or who shop lefted wear. I cane when they are doing wht they do... ie basketball, ironmans, and acting... but their lives should be theirs to shsre. I am just not interested in the personal lives of people who make headlines (unless of course they are friends of mine).
Quote Reply
Re: Lance and Kristin Armstrong have separated! [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, i do care what happens to Lance. I mean, i (like most of us) have read his book, and he does feel like a friend to me. Cue a Byrds song "Though i never met him, i knew him just the same. He was a friend of mine."

I think part of it is feeling empathetic. I mean if you heard that your favorite actor died like Tom Hanks or Meg Ryan wouldnt that bring a little bit of sadness to your day, even just a little? Even though you've never met the person?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Cap'tain(s) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For TonyG: Five people ...

For JeremyB: I haven't read his books, but I'm aware that the media certainly focused on "family values" quite a bit in his case. But then, maybe it's better for the kids to see the parents separately and happy, than together and screaming at each other all the time (or simply ignoring each other)?

Still, it saddens me that we, as a society, have reached a point where we care *so much* about other people's behavior.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Civility [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Captain is definitely not everyone's cup of tea - nothing clears my own home faster than a nice long session with the double-disc "The Dust Blows Forward". And that's really too bad, on many levels.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah its Definetly better to have two semi happy separated parents than two together angry/ugly parents.

I care more about the kids (and concerned whose going to raise them) and about how this effects Lances training----than i do about the personal aspects of his breakup or that they even did separate. I guess im trying to say I dont really care about the separation---i care about how thats going to effect Lance, the twins, luke, and kristin as individuals. But also, its nice to see people happy and a marriage thats working in this world, and its dissapointing to see a marriage that on the surface looked like it was "working" but actually wasnt.

Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yeah its Definetly better to have two semi happy separated parents than two together angry/ugly parents.
Research does not bare this out. When the so-called "better to be happy seperated than together angry/ugly parents, for the kids sake" movement first started in the '70s, that is what the researchers thought would happen. What has become apparent, is that the kids don't care if the parents are not happy or not. The research has shown, that the kids who's parents divorce are worse off than those who don't and that the kids just want both parents there, in their house, wether they are angry/ugly or not. When divorce happens, kids lose a lot of faith because the one constant that should never be taken from them, to have both of their parents raising them together, is destroyed. Hard to believe in much else when you can't even count on your parents being there, now can they?!?!?

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [GatorDawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think all research in this area is very debatable still on this issue. Kids with parents who are together and abgry learn that together and ugly is the way a marriage should be. Thus, they grow up and continue that circle of behavior and are more often to have difficulty in relationships later in life due to an the lack of a model provided to them as a child. If the parents separate, the odds increase of a better model presenting itself in the form of stepparents. And seeing their parents form healthy romantic relationships will benefit the child more so than seeing a unhealthy/destroyed relationship between their two birth parents. Also, i beleive the speciics are individualized as well, meaning, that im sure some kids would wish their parents were apart instead of screaming at each other nightly, whereas others want their parents together despite the screaming, cause between the scream sessions there may be some good ole times that make things almost seem normal.

Wouldnt you agree, that when parents stay together for the kids, the incidence of affairs and cheating increase as opposed to a happy/loving couple. If an affair is in the mix, surely you must agree that being separated is better than seeing either or both of your parents in other romantic endeavors?

Quote Reply
Re: Commitment!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeremy,

With all due respect, and IMHO, once we CHOOSE to be parents and affect the rights the children, we no longer have the right to be "angry/ugly parents" or cheating, or anything else. This just kills me!

Too many folks get married , have kids, and still have an eye on the exit door. How about commitment! Sure marraige is tough at times, but we owe it to the kids to make it work - no matter what! Of course I do realize that there are unavoidable rare exceptions, but statistics show that we are starting to make it the rule.

Having a healthy relationship with a spouse is a choice. I choose to make it work and to be happy....and to keep her happy...and to keep the kids in a happy family. This takes work - more work than an Ironman, but the rewards are great too. I say no excuses (other than the very rare exception).

It is all a matter of desire and attitude. Make our main goal in life to make our family unit a success and it will be. When we care about our spouse and kids more than ourself (or our bike) , there is hardly a way to fail.

david

Happily married dad and intend to stay that way!
Last edited by: david: Feb 23, 03 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [GatorDawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Research does not bare this out"

Who's research is this? Having been there I would have to disagree. My ex and I called it quits after fifteen years of trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Best thing either of us ever did. We tried maritial counselling beforehand and did try to make it work before mutually agreeing to throw in the towel. Of course we have done everything possible to get along and put the kid's interests first. It seemed to pay off as both kids a well adjusted "A" students, my daughter starting college and my son in high school. In our case it has worked out better for everyone with the ex and I agreeing to a friendly divorce with minimal lawyer involvement rather than continually duking it out in an unhappy marriage. The best part is that we're not bitter to each other and have accepted that neither of us were happy in the relationship. Where kids get hurt IMO is when divorced parents don't have te maturity to try to get along and accept the situation. Anyway you look at it, divorce sucks, but it some cases it may be the best solution..
Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
. Anyway you look at it, divorce sucks, but it some cases it may be the best solution..
Amen...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Cap'tain(s) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that you have to do what's right for you and balance that with what's in the childrens' best interest, as far as divorce/separation/stay together is concerned. My ex is an alcoholic and after 15 years it just beat me to crap and as I told her: "my emotional bank account is now overdrawn". I thought it better to be apart and happy, and work to provide a stable, secure environment for my children. I fought for my children and I am the custodial parent with the children 70% of the time. I've dedicated my life to them (yes, I have very little social life) and it's paid off. They are both in a school for gifted and talented children, on the permanent honor roll, and my daughter is the USA Triathlon Youth National Champ in her age group (my 6-year-old son starts competing this year). Additionally, at 41, I am happy now... which I hadn't been for many years. Every situation is different, but for me this worked.

Quote Reply
Re: Commitment!! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to wonder who got tired--Lance, training 5-8 hours per day and never seeing his family or Kristen working 5-8 hours per day taking care of three young children. I think she used to be a pretty big executive in a ad company--maybe she is tired of being a full time mom and wants to work and Lance wants her to stay home with the kids? Either way tough on the kids and tough on Lance to be focused on racing. Luke will be mad.
Quote Reply
Re: Commitment!! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

Good post with good points.

For those in relationships that are 100% happy - my hat is off to you. Your relatrionship with your spouse/partner does need to be at the absolute center of your life. It needs to be something that you work on every day. It needs to be something that you re-commit yourself every day. However, from my recent experience, even "the best" situations can get off the rails very badly. Outside appearences can be decieving. Perhaps, there where major problems with the Armstrong's relationship behind closed doors. I thought that I had a great realtionship with my-ex. Many had stamped us with the most-liklely-to-succeed lable. I thought that we coud do no wrong. Then in an instant it was all-over!

I get the feeling that we live in an age, when we are perpetually skating on thin ice all the time. I am very optimistic, forward thinking and well adjusted person, but recent events in my own life and the lives of those around me has given me that on-thin-ice feeling. Where not so good things happen to good people despite a huge amount of effort and best intentions.

Getting back to triathlon, I always thought that when you worked hard and long at something you would get positive results. A 20 year triathlon career with a modest amount of success seemed to be my personal acid test for this. However, recent events in my life and those of my family and friends have made me wonder about this. All of a sudden 2 + 2 is not equaling 4 or 5. Now we just get 3! Thin ice.

Sorry to hear about the Armstrongs. It's hell. I hope for them that what ever happens it happens for the right reasons.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not a deragatory statement about Lance: I can't help but recognize the irony that Lance had difficulty in his younger days facing his life with his father gone. Now, although VERY different circumstances, Lance (a father now) is gone. Yes, I do acknowledge that the man makes a very good living and I'm sure his children's financial needs will not be compromised. However, I had to ask myself, how do we break the cycle? Our society is a real mess. We make up the society- we're a mess. I wish I knew how to correct this- even within myself. Man, I've tried. It takes two in the case of a relationship. I thought I tried... It seemed like I tried. I wish I never had a "new" girlfriend. I hate that. I've always just wanted one forever. Is that possible anymore? Is this just further proof that this is a fantasy? Damn, so darn discouraging.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Don't Give Up Demerly [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
However, I had to ask myself, how do we break the cycle? Our society is a real mess. We make up the society- we're a mess. I wish I knew how to correct this- even within myself. Man, I've tried. It takes two in the case of a relationship. I thought I tried... It seemed like I tried.
Tom,

I am with you 100%. I feel like I am the luckiest man on Earth! My wife amd I did not even meet until we were 37 (each our 1st marraige). Now we have our third child on the way. This is truly a dream come true for me that I never thought would happen. Now, I certainly don't think the dream will ever stop, but I am sure that others have felt that way too.

Good thing she and I both have past experiences behind us, have matured, and are right for each other. I don't think relationships are 50/50...I think they are 90/10 with BOTH sides having a responsibility for the 90. You can't have and eye on the exit door, or wandering eyes, or rather bike than hold hands to make it work. I tell my friends that you have to "flip the switch" to there are no longer any options other than to do what is best for your spouse and family. You CHOOSE your attitude about it so that is the way it is and you have to enjoy it. We also discuss these issues daily so that we stay fined tuned in order to prevent having to take it in for a complete overhaul.

There was other talk about an alcoholic spouse, and that is terrible - the worst of the worst - and thank God they have moved on; but, that did not just happen over night. Either, they made a mistake by getting into that situation OR it progressed gradually. Could it, or the cause, have been prevented with constant fine tuning? I don't know. I can say I really don't buy the "we just grew apart," "we're just not compatable any more," etc.

You are right, our society is a bit of a mess. That is scary as a parent of young ones. I believe it is a results of declining values, decreased personal responsibility, lack of spirituality, and increasing fast paced lifestyles in which every one wants something new including new spouses. It becomes a pervasive and acceptable attitude in society that is tough to change and is very dangerous. I think all we can do is, just like an Ironman, keep putting one foot in front of the other, do what is right, what is good, and not give up.

Lastly, it may be just a fantasy, but once found it is fantastic! Be patient and uncompromising in the process....Good Luck and keep the faith!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 24, 03 8:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next