Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance Officially Stripped
Quote | Reply
(Certainly this topic is big enough to warrant it's own thread--lead story on CNN and ESPN, after all)

The UCI has alway been in his corner, but I think the fact that rumors are out there that they covered up a positive Lance doping test meant that they couldn't go against USADA--they would have looked like Lance apologists. I never thought I would see this, but this was Lance's last hope. If the UCI hadn't stripped him of his Tour wins, he could have had plausible deniability. Now? He has absolutely nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [89Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so who gets the titles now? anybody? or do they just go unclaimed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
89Greg wrote:
(Certainly this topic is big enough to warrant it's own thread--lead story on CNN and ESPN, after all)

The UCI has alway been in his corner, but I think the fact that rumors are out there that they covered up a positive Lance doping test meant that they couldn't go against USADA--they would have looked like Lance apologists. I never thought I would see this, but this was Lance's last hope. If the UCI hadn't stripped him of his Tour wins, he could have had plausible deniability. Now? He has absolutely nothing.

yeah...and who are they going to give them to? everyone is suspect at this point...they just didn't have the fame that LA did.

and all LA records wiped? they should just wipe ALL cycling history off the books, if that's the case...just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [rmhick2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmhick2 wrote:
89Greg wrote:

yeah...and who are they going to give them to? everyone is suspect at this point...they just didn't have the fame that LA did.

and all LA records wiped? they should just wipe ALL cycling history off the books, if that's the case...just sayin'.

UCI announced that those titles will go to no one.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [brandonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brandonk wrote:
so who gets the titles now? anybody? or do they just go unclaimed?

I nominate Jens Voigt

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Tour record books will list "no winner" from '99-05. I guess they have no choice. Can't list Lance, can't reassign to another known doper. What an awful black hole in the history of a great race.

Oddly, they continue to list Bjarne Riis as the '96 champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is because Riis came clean about his doping after the 7 year statue of limitations

Lance would have kept 5 of the 7 TDF victories if he had come clean and apologized because of the 7 year statue of limitations. I believe they said there was no statue of limitations on him because he either knowingly lied or hampered the investigation or something to that effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or Ullrich as 97 champ, or Pantani as 98 champ....and so on and so forth...

Frankly it's all just an ugly mess and there really is no cleaning it up to anything remotely satisfying or orderly. It doesn't satisfy my sense of congruence, for sure. But I suspect that is just going to be something we're all going to have to swallow at this point. There just aren't any good answers to rearrange the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
89Greg wrote:
Looks like the Tour record books will list "no winner" from '99-05. I guess they have no choice. Can't list Lance, can't reassign to another known doper. What an awful black hole in the history of a great race.

Oddly, they continue to list Bjarne Riis as the '96 champ.

I imagine that black hole extends to the better part of the last half century. Sad indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The UCI has to go with the decision. If not the whole UCI would have collapsed
Last edited by: Vince@HED: Oct 22, 12 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This whole thing reeks. A culture that was conducive to the actions taken and Lance did it best. He won. If lance goes , then UCI should too, and they need to scrap the whole dam thing and start over.
I'm with Lance.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF blep, you've been the local sheriff on new #7 threads but you find it ok to reply as you see fit? Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Dotte Original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dotte Original wrote:
WTF blep, you've been the local sheriff on new #7 threads but you find it ok to reply as you see fit? Interesting.

Yeah, I am giving up my pointless quest. Looks like Dan has too.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably addressed in another LA thread, but I'm not digging through those. The prize money for the tour is usually distributed among the winner's teammates. If LA has to pay his winnings back I wonder if his former teammates will feel compelled to offer their share.

I don't really wonder about that at all, but it would be the right thing to do, yes?

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who want Riis or Ullrich or Pantani removed, please identify the legal mechanisms through which that would occur.

I'll save you the time - you can't. The is no way to now remove those "winners" from the history books.

Their guilt (or innocence *snark*) aside, those results are outside the statute of limitations. This was not the case for Lance for reasons well documented.

Continuing to bring up this canard simply demonstrates that you don't understand the facts of the cases.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now what happens. Is this the proof needed by all those corporations to claim bonus payments etc back? Is there going to be a raft of people suing him?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sunday Times said it was looking into that and may sue LA for libel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Is there going to be a raft of people suing him?

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think, yes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to see no winner listed, as a reminder of the sickness cycling suffered during these times. Leave no winner here, so it can never be hidden, never be forgotten the wretched cheating and how corrupt these times were. The UCI are complicit in all of this. Armstrong is a pox on the sport of cycling.

Paul Kimmage's cancer metaphor nailed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Cake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best thing he can do now is come clean. And since the UCI is acting as if it were all clean, and we know it's not, Lance should now throw them under the bus,
so that this organization of crooks collapses, and someone can come up to clean up the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if I can now get a refund on my copy of "it's not about the bike?" ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if anything, it confirms that it really wasn't about the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the prize money?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Officially Stripped [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The best thing he can do now is come clean. And since the UCI is acting as if it were all clean, and we know it's not, Lance should now throw them under the bus,
so that this organization of crooks collapses, and someone can come up to clean up the sport.

One can hope. But I would be really surprised if it would happen.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next