Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance Armstrong to buy WTC
Quote | Reply
News reports suggest an early stage investment in Uber could net Lance $1 to $3 billion in investment gains.

Meanwhile, WTC potentially is available.

Can someone connect the dots?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the source that its 1-3 billion?

velo news linked to the interview and 10-40 million was bandied about (although lance would not confirm or deny).

https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/armstrong-uber-investment-saved-him-weisel-hasnt-been-honest_482019


Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Uber bleeding money?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe , but they are going public so there's that
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Massively, but doesn't really matter for going public, in the nearish-term.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want a doper to buy WTC? Is this a joke?

Rugby Media Dude-earfulofdirt.com

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NY Post — admittedly, not the finest news source
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
News reports suggest an early stage investment in Uber could net Lance $1 to $3 billion in investment gains.

Meanwhile, WTC potentially is available.

Can someone connect the dots?[/quote

He may be a lot of things to a lot of folks, but one thing he ain't is ...stoopid.


"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
You want a doper to buy WTC? Is this a joke?

If you want to rephrase this as "do you want someone that has ruined lives to cover up the truth, to buy WTC" the go for it, but give up the whole doper non-sense. You should be well informed of the situation by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance is too smart to waste his money (regardless of how much or what it is) on WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I read Lance invested a 100k into a fund that has uber as its largest holding now, so hard to imagine that went to a billion, given that the entire worth of the company is only 50 billion. Lance said it, it is one of 10,20,30,40,50 million, I'm going to guess it is the 10 million number..

It could be higher if he actually sold it when the company was worth a lot more, but is is not anywhere near the numbers you posted up... He doesn't even have the down payment to buy WTC....
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn, I had visions of some very interesting refreshments at the SAG stops.

"Aquabike is a swim then sleep session on aerobars ...."
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Defiant to the max. He had to get out there and remind folks he is rich and that the bastards did not beat him.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
You want a doper to buy WTC? Is this a joke?


If you want to rephrase this as "do you want someone that has ruined lives to cover up the truth, to buy WTC" the go for it, but give up the whole doper non-sense. You should be well informed of the situation by now.

He's definitely both a doper and a guy who ruined lives.

Rugby Media Dude-earfulofdirt.com

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they burned through about 1 billion in cash last quarter, but valuation is still over 100+ billion.


I just read something that had the last investor valuing the company at 48 billion. They have not been going in the right direction lately, and Lyft is apparently going to beat them to the IPO market. But that is still a lot of money, only question is how much does Lance actually own?? As the article states, he invested in a fund, we have no idea how many dogs in that fund their are, or if it is even close to tracking Uber's value. And in the article it appears lance may have sold some stock to take care of his family, so we dont really know if he has any left??


Hopefully for him the fund did not sell all of its uber too soon, or if they did, when it was worth more than now. And hopefully he held onto some of it for a rainy day....I dont wish the guy any ill will, actually wondering about the next chapter in his life and where it might take him? Something tells me he is not going quietly into that dark night...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted in another thread, but Lance didn't invest directly in Uber, instead he invested in a fund managed by Lowercase Capital. The fund invested in Uber (among other investments). Even if Lance's indirect stake in Uber is worth less than the $56.5M I estimated, the Lowercase Capital fund already had massively successful exits on its investments in Twitter and Instagram. So most likely scenario is that Lance and the other Lowercase investors got nice checks from those exits and now Lance's Lowercase investment is now worth a nice chunk of change (at least on paper) due to its Uber stake.

Race Director, Velo Club La Grange (http://www.lagrange.org)
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Isn't Uber bleeding money?

I think they burned through about 1 billion in cash last quarter, but valuation is still over 100+ billion.

They lose money on every customer but they make it up in volume 🤣
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a similar note, he chides A-Rod for not doing charity work. I've lately been wondering why some pressure athletes to do charity work, but many CEO's make a lot more money and do no charity work. Is it a "public eye" thing?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
On a similar note, he chides A-Rod for not doing charity work. I've lately been wondering why some pressure athletes to do charity work, but many CEO's make a lot more money and do no charity work. Is it a "public eye" thing?

I THINK it is because CEOs are less public figures in the sense that they deliver a product or service that is something essential to the function of society (in most cases). Entertainers and sports figures don't really do anything essential, but they "take" money for doing something that no one really needs. As such as they are kind of "recipients of individual philanthropy" (for example I buy ticket to watch they play, I don't need to, and I over pay for sport watching), there seems to be some level of implied social contract between this category of rich guy/gal who don't really do anything useful to build society to put some $$$ back into doing useful things via charities.

If your company builds airplanes, or cars, or runs a railroad, or builds shipping containers, or makes CPU chips, you're kind of off the hook since what you are doing is often viewed as being productive for the function of society.

This would be what I think if Adam Smith were to have written a chapter in Wealth of Nations on athletes and entertainers and how that 'division of labour' played into the larger picture of society building, this may be it. But hey, its just me a guy on an interent message board opining about Lance shaming A-Rod (as he I think he should) :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Entertainers and sports figures don't really do anything essential,

Going Lavender Room on this, but I'd argue the entertainment and sports are so ingrained in every culture and every historical period that we can call them an essential part of human society. The fact that they're not essential to basic survival is true. But neither is Uber or Apple.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
On a similar note, he chides A-Rod for not doing charity work. I've lately been wondering why some pressure athletes to do charity work, but many CEO's make a lot more money and do no charity work. Is it a "public eye" thing?


I THINK it is because CEOs are less public figures in the sense that they deliver a product or service that is something essential to the function of society (in most cases). Entertainers and sports figures don't really do anything essential, but they "take" money for doing something that no one really needs. As such as they are kind of "recipients of individual philanthropy" (for example I buy ticket to watch they play, I don't need to, and I over pay for sport watching), there seems to be some level of implied social contract between this category of rich guy/gal who don't really do anything useful to build society to put some $$$ back into doing useful things via charities.

If your company builds airplanes, or cars, or runs a railroad, or builds shipping containers, or makes CPU chips, you're kind of off the hook since what you are doing is often viewed as being productive for the function of society.

This would be what I think if Adam Smith were to have written a chapter in Wealth of Nations on athletes and entertainers and how that 'division of labour' played into the larger picture of society building, this may be it. But hey, its just me a guy on an interent message board opining about Lance shaming A-Rod (as he I think he should) :-)

Now this is a hot take. Do you truly believe "pro athletes don't add value to society doing what they do"? Not trying to start a fight, just curious as to the degree you believe that. I would reel it back a bit and say simply that yes it's totally a "public eye" thing. Pro athletes are more recognizable, revered, marketable, etc. so they can elicit action more effectively. Remember when Zeke Elliott jumped into the Salvation Army bucket a couple years ago? Completely spontaneous TD celebration led to a spike in donations. Or J.J. Watt's impact on Hurricane Harvey fundraising. Also is it even true that the CEO's that make more don't do any charity work or is it just not in the media?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest major investment round (Toyota) was at a $76MM valuation. Bankers speculating a mid year IPO next year would be near $120B--lots of clear water between here and there though.

I was fortunate to invest in Uber a number of years back when it was valued at $4B. So my share has increased by 20-30X. I was in pretty early but it sounded like Lance got in earlier. My guess is his $100k is worth a minimum of $20MM and probably closer to $40MM.

However, its not liquid and that's just a paper number until a public market is created and he sells (unless he's selling at a discount to a PE player that creates liquidity for highly appreciated illiquid stocks....



Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Counter argument: In the west at least, most companies provide completely non essential services or products, but since we are capitalists, we are allowed to buy and sell services and products that we want, not necessarily what we need.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong to buy WTC [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is his $100k is worth a minimum of $20MM and probably closer to $40MM. //

But that is the problem, he did not invest directly in Uber like you did, he bought a piece of a fund that had uber in its portfolio. They could have sold their share, added to it, but certainly his % has been diluted by more Uber stock and probably more fund sales. He certainly made some good money, just hard to know how much, and if he sold some of his fund shares, it would be less of course..


Good job on your investment, can you sell it or is it locked in until IPO?? Would be nice to take some off the table so that if the worst case scenario hit, you still had your home run. Only playing with the houses money so to speak..
Quote Reply

Prev Next