Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... *SPOILER*
Quote | Reply
Today was the opening TT of Paris-Nice, over 9.3km (just under 6mi), a distance more for guys like Cancellara (not there) or Wiggins...Yet Contador wins by 7'' over Wiggins.
To those who follow cycling closely, that is probably quite a big surprise, and that definitely makes me rethink that Lance will be automatically the leader for the Tour de France.
Last edited by: Francois: Mar 9, 09 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 points.

1. I agree, I can't help but think that the races have been parceled up between the team and that they have agreed to domestique for each other during the remainder. I just wish they would tell us in advance. I'm so excited.

2. Brace yourself for this post to become one of the long , boring drug posts that any mention of Lance turns into within about 3 posts. Although saying that it won me $50 the other day. I don't know why we don't have a sticky post about the drug allegations so all the conspiracy theorists can post to their hearts content and not spoil other people posts.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am one of the conspiracy theorists, that said, I'm very cynical when it comes to cycling (i.e. they all do it, so in the end it doesn't matter much) and more generally, very cynical of pro sports and hate to see cycling used as a scapegoat.

Anyhow, I don't think as I did a week ago, that Lance is automatically the leader for Astana at the Tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally, I can't help thinking that he may be aiming for the Giro. Perhaps 7 tours is enough ? Either way it's going to make for some exciting racing. I enjoyed last years tour but the extra Machiavellian politics will make it even better this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What could make it interesting too is that the organization of the Tour is talking about forbidding radios...no more telling the riders who's up the road etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that will be interesting..will it mean less breakaways as the peloton becomes scared of losing touch or more breakaways as the peloton don't really know how far ahead they've gone ? It's definately looking like a great our this year regardless of who wins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What could make it interesting too is that the organization of the Tour is talking about forbidding radios...no more telling the riders who's up the road etc...

I've always thought this was an interesting idea. If radios were banned, I'm certain teams would come up with something to fill the void of communication, though.

As far as Le Tour this summer, my sense is that the leader will be decided out on the road. Perhaps one reason why it has not been announced who the leader will be is because the team realizes this. Lance's position has always been that the team will support the strongest rider. Yeah, maybe on paper, Contador is the leader, but I doubt Lance has the attitude of '7 tours are enough.' Fast forward to the first mountain top finish, if Contador shows any sign of weakness, does Armstrong play helper? Riiiiiiight.....

Can Armstrong win, though? Even if he is supported by his team? Don't think so...

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bet is that Lance wins the Giro and the TdF stage to the top of Mount Ventoux. For the rest of the TdF he rides support for Contedor (assuming he did win the Giro)

http://www.bobswims.com/

"If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and that definitely makes me rethink that Lance will be automatically the leader for the Tour de France.\\

Perhaps they could just flip a non biased coin to see who will be the leader, what would the odds be that it comes up Lance 99% of the time???? (-;
Last edited by: monty: Mar 8, 09 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hinault/LeMond round 2.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That would be awesome! I hope they go through with it, but in the end, it won't have too much impact on the race. The rider who's strongest in the mountains with a respectable time trial will still be the overall winner, radios or not. What that might change is how the flat stages go, and how the sprinter's teams manage the breakaways.

My prediction: We are about to see the biggest domination of stage racing by a single team, ever. Levi gets ToC, Lance gets Giro, Contador takes the tour, and however's got legs (levi again?) takes the vuelta.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [E=H2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly my thinking as well (LA will compete for the Giro with Contador's and Levi's support and LA/LL will support AC at the Tour). Most people say "no way, Lance's ego is way too big to keep him from competing for the TdF win." But it's exactly that big ego that will have him ride in support for AC there. Plus, the fact that so many people say he can't do that is why he'll want to.

His legacy (and, ultimately, his ego) have the most to gain by playing the benevolent support role. It's like he'll say to the world "see everyone, you all know I could have won this thing, but I swallowed my pride to support my teammate. Aren't I a great guy and not an arrogant jerk?"

He has enough TdF trophies and doesn't have much to gain with an 8th. He doesn't have a Giro trophy. He'll want to show he can win more than one grand tour and belong in the argument with Merckx as greatest ever. If he goes for the Giro, at his age, he may not be able to peak again for the TdF.

I think the above scenario feeds his ego better than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the results and it made my jaw drop...Either he's peaking really early or he's trying to destroy everyone else in the peleton in every race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never really thought that Lance was the automatic leader for Astana. Sure he has won 7 tours but it is a what have done lately type of game and Contador has won his last 3 grand tours he has ridden in a bit more than a year. Contador is younger and stronger. I have thought all along that they may be setting up for a podium sweep. Remember they should line up in July with 4 former podium placed riders in Armstrong, Contadorm Leipheimer, and Kloden. That staff is the sharpest tactically there is with Bruyneel, Ekimov, Dermol, and Yates They were really shafted last year by the race and a sweep would prove their worth as a team. This also puts the other teams has having to chase Astana because they habe more than one option up the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Today was the opening TT of Paris-Nice, over 9.3km (just under 6mi), a distance more for guys like Cancellara (not there) or Wiggins...Yet Contador wins by 7'' over Wiggins.
To those who follow cycling closely, that is probably quite a big surprise, and that definitely makes me rethink that Lance will be automatically the leader for the Tour de France.

aye a bit scary - especially given the profile was not exactly a climber's dream:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...=stages/parisnice091
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember people saying " lance never won any of the other big tours, if he had he would be the greatest ever" I think he will shoot for the Giro and help at the Tour .( unles he does not win the giro then all bets are off)
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if he wins the Giro, he'd still be quite a few tours and races behind Eddy Merckx (11 tours, 28 classics, including 7 Milan-San Remo, 3 world championships).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny to read this thread, as most are just giving the win to Lance in the Giro.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to go into this given LA's near God status. Indeed, the Giro is a very different race. Climbs very early on, steeper, longer, different weather (although this could favour him)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
***SPOILER?***

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pfhhht. I wish him well, but the tifosi will have a thing or two to say about that comeback.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that too but maybe Lance would do the right thing in despite of Lemond.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if radios are banned, strong teams like Astana and Saxobank may be disadvantaged the most. The peloton will still regularly get splits the old fashioned way with a chalkboard. But there will be times of uncertainty and sometimes peloton won't know for sure who went up the road. But that can all be relayed by domestiques from team car eventually. What will be much harder will be to communicate with someone who is up in the break. Remember how Cancellara went on a break then sat and waited for team last year. That will be much harder to set up I think.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Lance, Alberto, and le Tour... [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If contador holds the form he showed in the TT at Paris-Nice....then Lance will absolutely be fetching bottles for Alberto. What's scary is that Contador may not have even peaked yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has La Vie Claire, Hinault & LeMond written all over it...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply

Prev Next