Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November
Quote | Reply
I'm headed down to Lake Worth, FL for a week starting this Thursday. In addition to biking, I was hoping to enjoy some ocean open water swimming while I'm down there. Should I be worried about sharks when out swimming by myself? I'm used to swimming in lakes and ponds throughout New England or in the ocean along the southern part of Cape Cod, MA, so I've never really had to worry about sharks. When looking at the trackingsharks web site, the stats for Florida make me a little scared. Am I blowing things out of proportion?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local to LW here, just swim in the life guard areas at Lake Worth beach. I have never seen any sharks but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. If you see a bunch of bait fish just swim the other direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November [Bebetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
I'm headed down to Lake Worth, FL for a week starting this Thursday. In addition to biking, I was hoping to enjoy some ocean open water swimming while I'm down there. Should I be worried about sharks when out swimming by myself? I'm used to swimming in lakes and ponds throughout New England or in the ocean along the southern part of Cape Cod, MA, so I've never really had to worry about sharks. When looking at the trackingsharks web site, the stats for Florida make me a little scared. Am I blowing things out of proportion?

We've been seeing a lot of spinners out there, but mostly it's been quiet shark wise. Not sure when you are coming but I would check the NOAA site to make sure the red tide is gone. I haven't heard anything about it in a few weeks so I'm guessing swimming is safe, but it can't hurt to check.

Lake Worth beach is beautiful and the water has been perfect lately. Have fun.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info, thank you. Red tide looks pretty clear right now on the east coast of Florida from the NOAA site. I'm headed down this week, glad the water has been good down there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
Good info, thank you. Red tide looks pretty clear right now on the east coast of Florida from the NOAA site. I'm headed down this week, glad the water has been good down there.

I don't know if you're into the group ride thing, but there is a great group that leaves from the Lake Worth pier about 7:30 on Sunday morning. They go about 20-25 miles at a decent clip. 23-25mph sometimes faster, sometimes slower depending who shows up to pull the group.

ETA. They only go that far because a lot of the riders come from way south or north to do the ride, then head home for 80 or so. If you want a longer ride, I suggest you head out a little early and then catch the group.

The suns been coming up around 6:30 and A1A is pretty safe.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: Nov 20, 18 6:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A1A will be your best bet for cycling. Not sure if the president will be in town or not. If so, you'll either have to flip at Southern Blvd and head back south, or Head west on Southern Blvd, and take Flagler up and over Royal Palm Blvd into Palm beach.
Last edited by: Tall_Coffee: Nov 20, 18 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tall_Coffee wrote:
A1A will be your best bet for cycling. Not sure if the president will be in town or not. If so, you'll either have to flip at Southern Blvd and head back south, or Head west on Southern Blvd, and take Flagler up and over Royal Palm Blvd into Palm beach.

Shit, I forgot, the president will be here... He arrives at 4:30.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Worth, FL Open Water Swimming in November [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the biking info too. I'm there until Thursday of next week so hopefully the President stuff only messes up traffic for the weekend. I do occasional group rides back home, we'll see what kind of speeds I can keep up with in a pack on what appears to be pretty flat roads down there. My last two olympic distance races were 23mph average, but I'm bringing my road bike and I've gained 15lbs since then. I usually average ~19-19.5mph on solo road bike rides that average 3000ft gain in 60miles (so a little hilly, not big mountains).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
Thanks for the biking info too. I'm there until Thursday of next week so hopefully the President stuff only messes up traffic for the weekend. I do occasional group rides back home, we'll see what kind of speeds I can keep up with in a pack on what appears to be pretty flat roads down there. My last two olympic distance races were 23mph average, but I'm bringing my road bike and I've gained 15lbs since then. I usually average ~19-19.5mph on solo road bike rides that average 3000ft gain in 60miles (so a little hilly, not big mountains).

You'll hang easy. Just don't get up front, they will eat you alive. Ask me how I know!!!

Looks like great weather down here for the time you'll be here. The president is supposed to leave on Monday so the roads will reopen. If you're gonna ride, heading south on A1A is really nice. They just repaved a lot of the roads and they are super smooth.

Have fun.

Quote Reply