Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds
Quote | Reply
Because of the Rim Fire, Big Blue Adventures (the company that puts on the Lake Tahoe Triathlon) cancelled the event for 2013...okay, fine. Who wants to race in heavy smoke.

Just received an email stating that they're not rescheduling the event and no refunds. This typical? Plus, a paltry 25% off on a future race was the only thing offered.

I understand it's hard work putting on a race, but this kind of sucks when you paid $225 for registration.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Write them a note explaining that it is fraud to not put on the event and that your next letter is to the attorney general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't they have insurance for this type of thing?
no refunds at all?
no race next year free??
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sign your rights away when registering for it.

This was in the email: "Our company policy in regard to refunding entry fees is straight forward. It is one that every registrant agrees to during the online registration process, and is an industry standard. The policy is that there are no refunds."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
You sign your rights away when registering for it.

This was in the email: "Our company policy in regard to refunding entry fees is straight forward. It is one that every registrant agrees to during the online registration process, and is an industry standard. The policy is that there are no refunds."

Any halfway decent lawyer can walk right through that and get a refund

NCVC
2nd place is just the 1st loser
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
Write them a note explaining that it is fraud to not put on the event and that your next letter is to the attorney general.

It's not fraud if they intended to put on the event and had to cancel for safety reasons. It's fraud if they never intended to put on the event. Why is everyone's first reaction to threaten lawsuits?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If/when that happens to me ill never sign up for a race with that company again. I know I sign my life away when registering, but it doesn't make it right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Because of the Rim Fire, Big Blue Adventures (the company that puts on the Lake Tahoe Triathlon) cancelled the event for 2013...okay, fine. Who wants to race in heavy smoke.

Just received an email stating that they're not rescheduling the event and no refunds. This typical? Plus, a paltry 25% off on a future race was the only thing offered.

I understand it's hard work putting on a race, but this kind of sucks when you paid $225 for registration.

As much as it sucks...most of the money for organizing an event gets spent before the event actually happens. They probably have no money to refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What company puts on the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a lawyer, but pretty much every single race I've registered has a clause reserving to right to cancel, nearly for every reason including weather or environmental issues - without refund. Yes, sounds sketchy, but I do understand that if RDs have nonrecuperable expenses that they pay up front.

Does suck to be out $225, though.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 27, 13 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very typical, read the fine print.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
If/when that happens to me ill never sign up for a race with that company again. I know I sign my life away when registering, but it doesn't make it right

So what do you suggest they do??
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally understand that 'some' of the money received from registered athletes is spent before the race. I guarantee most of it isn't, though.

I can also live without a refund. What I wasn't expecting was an insulting offer for 25% off a race for next year. At least give those who spent money on gas, an expensive hotel, and registration a FULL credit for another race next year.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by justarunner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Totally understand that 'some' of the money received from registered athletes is spent before the race. I guarantee most of it isn't, though.

I can also live without a refund. What I wasn't expecting was an insulting offer for 25% off a race for next year. At least give those who spent money on gas, an expensive hotel, and registration a FULL credit for another race next year.

Insulting? You need a thicker skin.

Yeah, you spent money on gas and hotel. You still were in Lake Tahoe for a couple days. If all you did was sulk in your hotel room that you didn't get to race, that's your fault.

And how do you "guarantee" that most of the money isn't spent? Oh, I know, you think that race directors are just raking it in hand over fist, and money just flows in. I would "guarantee" that most of the money is already spent on contracting police, medical, site rental, signage, food, course support, etc. So I guess that next year they just need to put on the race for free, since they have "most" of the money left from this year, hey?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no credit for a future race? Why not? Why not give someone who paid $225 for a race a credit for a future race? Not asking for a refund. Please explain this to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
What refund do you want?

I'm always astounded by how little participants know about the actual processes of the races they participate in. Your money is most likely gone, used, spent, voila.

People have to get paid, materials were bought, permits were paid for, etc. It's not like, "oh shit, we're sorry, let us unspend all this money so you can have your money back".

It simply does NOT work like that. Anytime a runner, triathlete, swimmer, or cyclists ask for a refund what it really amounts to saying is, "Hi, i'm very ignorant of the process of how races are put on, can you make a special exception for me and pay me back with money that no longest exist".

Shit happens, races get cancelled, suck it up.

This thread should have been titled "Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled". The "no refunds" part amounts to a "no shit, sherlock".

/rant

Let us suppose I buy a couch and I pay upfront. The store sends my order to its in-house factory. They spend money and time making my couch. The night before it is to be delivered to me, the couch burns down. The store does not come to me and say - sorry, no couch, and no refund - regardless of how much money they have already spent behind the scenes. I either get a couch, or I get a refund.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, why not give registered athletes a credit to race in another event? Not asking for a cash refund. Not asking for much...and that wasn't offered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would the "race insurance" that you can purchase through Active.com cover this type of cancellation?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
justarunner wrote:
What refund do you want?

I'm always astounded by how little participants know about the actual processes of the races they participate in. Your money is most likely gone, used, spent, voila.

People have to get paid, materials were bought, permits were paid for, etc. It's not like, "oh shit, we're sorry, let us unspend all this money so you can have your money back".

It simply does NOT work like that. Anytime a runner, triathlete, swimmer, or cyclists ask for a refund what it really amounts to saying is, "Hi, i'm very ignorant of the process of how races are put on, can you make a special exception for me and pay me back with money that no longest exist".

This thread should have been titled "Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled". The "no refunds" part amounts to a "no shit, sherlock".

/rant

Let us suppose I buy a couch and I pay upfront. The store sends my order to its in-house factory. They spend money and time making my couch. The night before it is to be delivered to me, the couch burns down. The store does not come to me and say - sorry, no couch, and no refund - regardless of how much money they have already spent behind the scenes. I either get a couch, or I get a refund.

If the whole factory burns down, with all their business for a year gone up in smoke and without insurance to cover such an occurence, they would claim bankruptcy. You would be out a couch.

Your example as quoted above is simply not an equal comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Ajaxrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those defending the decision to cancel with no offer to give a race credit, please respond to my previous post...

Again, why not give registered athletes a credit to race in another event? Not asking for a cash refund. Not asking for much...and that wasn't offered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:

'Just a credit for a future race' - I'm OK with you asking for that, as long as when that race comes around, you're willing to:

- not have any generators, sound systems, tents, tables at the venue
- no tables at the aid stations
- willing to take a shirt from this year's canceled event
- no dumpsters. the company was paid this year for delivering them; too bad they weren't filled
- year-old water that may be a little stale; don't know what condition the year-old Gatorade, GU's, or anything else that was going to be available on course (plus chip in some money for the cost of storing that stuff for a year)
- you'll have to pay at the gate for the new race's current permit fees, since the canceled event's fees are already sunk, and there's no new registration income to replace it
- were the bike racks rented? if so, just lay your bike down on a patch of grass or dirt
- was there rented barricade fencing around transition, or along the entrances / exits? hope that nobody wanders into your path while you're racing

I'm sure I haven't hit everything, but if everyone got a free race next year, you would probably find that the race director isn't around to put the race on.
Last edited by: Peanut: Aug 27, 13 8:48
Quote Reply
Post deleted by justarunner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
justarunner wrote:
What refund do you want?

/rant

I didn't know comparing apples to oreos made for good analogies. I'm going running, when i get back I'll explain why you're ignorant of how races work.

Please do - while you are at it, please explain why races should be somehow different from other businesses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
What refund do you want?

/rant

Well Said

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next