Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Placid Info?
Quote | Reply
Any Lake Placid area residents out there?

I'll be in Lake Placid the weekend of Feb 8-9 (and am doing Ironman USA in July). I'm planning/hoping to run one loop of the run course, and drive the bike course. Can I do the run course based on the map on the Ironmanusa.com website? or are there traffic issues that would stop me from doing that?

I've never been to the area at all, so any info would be appreciated, I want to use this trip to gain as much information about the course as I can.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Info? [Trigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't have any trouble following the run course. The blue mile markers will be plainly visible on the road, unless they are covered with snow of course. The two turn around points will also be clearly labeled in the center of the road.

It can be really cold up there that time of year. It is not so unusual to hit 30 below at night, though it almost always warms up in to the day, to above zero. They don't call this the North Country for nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Info? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are very easy to follow as AJ said. The only thing that you may have trouble with is the out and back on the runs turn around point as it is just kinda there.

If you drive the bike...when you get back towards where you will turn left and head to Whiteface. There are some houses and trees about 100 yards before the turn...Could you go and pee in the trees for me? I have pee'ed on the same tree every year, every lap for the last 4 years. Once I was done (every year) the home owner would always clap and yell..."Alright, empty bladder! now you can really fly!!!"...that has been the highlight of my race every year. (Second was the black guy with the megaphone on the run last year - "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK that hill!!!!!!!")

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Careful about doing that [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to think twice about visiting those trees. I exaggerated about the weather. It is minus 12 there as I write this.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Info? [Trigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no traffic issues with the run course, but make sure you know the course. Don't plan on being able to see any of the painted markers on the road. Most of them are covered in snow. Be careful running, the shoulders on the road are a bit narrow this time of year becasue of snowbanks and riverside drive (the out and back after the ski jumps) does not get plowed the best. It might be a bit slippery. I hope it warms up before you come. Its 12 below with a stiff wind right now. The ski area is not even open today because its so cold and windy. The bike course should be no problem to drive though. Look at the bright side, you can ski the swim course. Hope this helps.

Chris
Quote Reply