Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Placid 70.3- Heart attack on course
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what happened to the guy who was receiving medical attention on the course on Sunday? I've been searching the internet for news this week, but haven't seen anything. I ran past the poor guy twice on the Mirror Lake Drive out and back and the first time he was convulsing and the second time medical personnel were doing chest compressions. I spoke to a police officer after the race and he said the guy was 38 and it looked like he had a heart attack. They were able to revive him prior to transporting him to the hospital, but that's all the officer knew. Been thinking about it all week.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3- Heart attack on course [splatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discussed here. 3rd page has much of the details.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...bike%3F)_P6723167-3/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Ironman LPFB page:

"During the run portion of this past weekend’s IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Placid triathlon, an athlete required medical attention, including transport to a nearby hospital where the athlete received treatment. We are incredibly grateful for the quick response of local bystanders and medical personnel in assisting the athlete. We wish the athlete a continued path to a speedy and full recovery."
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3- Heart attack on course [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much. So glad to hear he's recovering.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
38.... Scary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
splatt wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the guy who was receiving medical attention on the course on Sunday? I've been searching the internet for news this week, but haven't seen anything. I ran past the poor guy twice on the Mirror Lake Drive out and back and the first time he was convulsing and the second time medical personnel were doing chest compressions. I spoke to a police officer after the race and he said the guy was 38 and it looked like he had a heart attack. They were able to revive him prior to transporting him to the hospital, but that's all the officer knew. Been thinking about it all week.

As I said in the other referenced thread, I was right there when it happened and my wife was the one to make the 911 call. I was maybe the third person to get to the guy as well as someone runing next to me who said she was a nurse. I decided that the nurse was best able to assess the medical situation so I hauled ass to the aid station to get them to radio it as well in case the 911 call wasn't the fastest way to get someone there. When I got back there they were doing CPR so I decided to help in the only way I could at this point and help direct bikes and runners around the scene.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gregyea [ In reply to ]
Re: Lake Placid 70.3- Heart attack on course [gregyea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregyea wrote:
Thanks from the bottom of my soul to all those who helped . I am the RD and was on scene about 4 minutes in. It was a tremendous team effort and a man's life was saved due to the quick action of many.

Great job all around, including g_lev and caffynator (an ER doc in my hospital)!

I'm happy to have heard he is doing well. I have email and photo confirmation of such. And g_lev, my offer still stands regarding the CPR course. I plan to meet up with Sean (caffynator) in the near future to share stories. He, the nurse, you and your wife are all big heroes in my eyes.

Dale
Quote Reply