Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Placid '04 Participants: What's your training look like this week?
Quote | Reply
During my run this morning (in the pre-dawn darkness of Brooklyn, NY) I was wondering what other IM Lake Placid '04 pariticipants are doing this week, 9 months out from the race.

This week my schedule consists of four 1 hour mid-tempo runs, two 1 hour spinning sessions (with HR at 70% or above) and two 70 mile rolling bike rides on both Saturday and Sunday. I usually rest/do recovery very easy spins on Wednesdays.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid '04 Participants: What's your training look like this week? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even thinking about it :-)

Right now focusing on last week of volume training before NYC Mary in 2.5 weeks!

I'll start my prep work in Jan, base in Feb.

For IMUSA '01, I started 9 months out and was toast with 2 months to go. Mentally I can only handle 6 months, so thats why I won't even think about it 'til then.

Dude, good luck in LP. See you there. Go Yankees!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid '04 Participants: What's your training look like this week? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning, I was on the Computrainer for 1:15 minute of intervals (6X5'@Z4 3'RI). Tomorrow is a 60 minute run and a 1000 yard swim time trial. I've still got one race left this year - an off-road duathlon next weekend in Syracuse. So this weekend, saturday is a 2hr brick and strength training and Sunday a 1:15 run with an easy spin later.

See you in Placid in only 9 months - I can't wait!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid '04 Participants: What's your training look like this week? [Hightower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

For IMUSA '01, I started 9 months out and was toast with 2 months to go. Mentally I can only handle 6 months, so thats why I won't even think about it 'til then.
I can second that - I did IMLP 4 times...I would not worry about it untill you need to worry about it...wait till spring.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid '04 Participants: What's your training look like this week? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning I did 3 x 10 minutes on the ol' snooze button.

In all seriousness though, I switch to swimming in the off-season, with 5 runs a week (4 x 30-45 minutes with dog + 1 60-100 minutes) until spring. I'll probably do a couple hours of biking as well, but nothing structured.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a sick, bad man for even implying that I should be training right now. Seriously, I'm doing 2-3 x 1 Harpoon IPA on the 1:00, three times a week, and 2 x 1 Bogle Merlot on the 1:00 three times a week. Champagne on Sundays(the wife LOVES the Champagne!). I did a Half IM the first week of September, a century two weeks later, and was planning a marathon this weekend, but my body has clearly had enough. All my experienced Ironman training buddies have told me to stop, and they have been scarce at the pool, so I'm *trying* to follow their advice.

You're doing 12 hours/week now?!? Color me shocked and awed! If that's what you do during your transition/prep period, I'd hate to see your schedule in March. I'm so burned out from doing 10-15 hours/week since January that I need some time off. I'm doing that "transition" thing. Yeah, transition, where I sit on the couch with beer and Cheez Puffs, er, I mean I'm "carbo-loading". Yeah, that's it!

Okay, actually seriously(for me.) I'm swimming 3 x 1 hour with Masters, working on stroke/form, not speed, riding about :30 - :45 twice, running 5 miles twice, and doing a 30-40 mile ride on Saturday with a 10 mile run on Sunday. And I bag any of them if I don't feel like doing it. I'm averaging around 7 hours per week now, and trying to get to a point where I wake up in the AM and nothing hurts. I'll start base in December. Oh, and I'm going to take some yoga classes for the next eight weeks, and hopefully work that into my training schedule.

Good Luck to all, I'll see you in July.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am working only on running right now and will probably continue that way until after a marathon in January. My running stinks. After four years of slogging along, I am finally able to run regularly without getting shut down by injury. I am running about seven hours a week, including "speed" work once a week. I do have a half IM next week. I hope I remember how to swim and which wheel of the bicycle goes in front.

Probably the most important thing I am doing though, is losing weight. I am hoping to hit the starting line 10 to 15 pounds lighter than I have the last three years. If I do that, maybe next year I will actually pass someone on a climb who doesn't have a flat tire or cramps. That would be a first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, I don't think about LP now. Till christmas, I plan to work mostly on my swimming (3 times for 13-15kilometers/week) and do about 2 hours of running and 2 hours of indoor cycling (less than 10 hours a week). Starting January first, I'll cut one swim workout and continue with my 2 hours of running and 2 hours of biking. However, I'll add a solid 4 to 6 hours of cross-training (mostly skate skiing and some snow-shoeing.

I plan to start the serious stuff in mid April. It'll likely start with a 10 days holiday training camp somewhere warm (Arizona, Colorado or Spain) with a lot of cycling followed by 12 weeks of Ironman training (aiming at a 15 hours week average, 2 swim, 3-4 bike workouts and 3-4 run workout). Racing schedule is Muskoka Long course (2-55-15 km) in mid-june followed by Tupper Lake Half IM 4 weeks before IMLP.

My body and mind cannot take 9 months of hard training.

Francois (in Montreal)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just started structured training again this week after a month or so of sparse, unstructered cardio stuff just to avoid losing too much fitness. being a little careful with my running right now as i have a bit of an ache in my right shin which i'm hoping is not (another) stress fracture. breaking my swim all the way down to basic drills (using the t.i. program. started it last season but lost interest after a couple of weeks. i plan on doing it right this time around). built up the road bike in my off time and am riding that for the winter. weekly totals are 3 hours each of swimming, biking, and running (depending on the leg) as well as 3 hours of weights per week. long ride and run on weekends, all short stuff during the week.

...oh yeah, and i'm not even thinking about IMLP '04 yet. not seriously anyway. this cool fall weather is great for beer drinking (lots to catch up on after a rather "dry" summer)!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How am I training? I am working out but I basically just having fun, doing a lot less than normal and trying to catch up on all the really big projects and things I know I will start neglecting when I start training in either Jan or Febuary. Maybe rough 6-10 hours a week, closer to 8-10 but i bag any workout I don't feel like doing, and watching what I am eat so I don't gain any off season weight and maybe take a little off so I can get up those big hills....
Quote Reply