Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lacking open water practice before first triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I am doing my first Tri in mid May in New Jersey. Unfortunately the beaches here in NY do not open until after Memorial Day weekend so I don’t think I will be able to practice any open water swimming before my race. While this is certainly not ideal preparation I was wondering what some of you think about going straight in to their first Tri without having ever swam in the open water. I am definitely going to swim in a pool with my wetsuit at lest once or twice to get a feel for this. Anyway I appreciate and insight you may have. For the record the distance will be an Olympic and the swim will be in a lake.

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on taking the plunge for your first Tri. I hope it’s a great experience for you.

I think a lot of this comes down to how strong/confident of a swimmer you are, and how big the race you’re doing is. If you’re a strong swimmer or it’s a small local race, you’ll be fine. If you’re less confident / new to swimming and/or it’s a big race, familiarity becomes more important.

I think the choas of the start is what most people find most intimidating. There is no substitute but experience here. If you’re slower, line up at the back and ease into it or take a wider line to find some open water.

The darkness/cloudiness of many open bodies of water is a close second.

Not all open water is created equally. Some is pitch dark and so murky you’re lucky if you can see your elbow. Some quite clear. Some is choppy and some calm. Do you know anyone who has swam where you’ll be swimming? Ask them about conditions and if you’re going to try to get in open water try to simulate race conditions.

Honestly, unless you’re very intimated by open water, if you can squeeze in just 1-2 swims ideally where the race is, you’ll be fine. As you get closer to your race practice sighting in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a buddy to swim with you in the pool. Put your wetsuit on then swim a few laps. Have your buddy pretend/try to swim over/on and push you a bit and get comfortable with other people swimming close to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife did this. She panicked when she hit the water because she wasn't expecting it to be so warm and dark. Once she settled down she very cautiously got through it but it wasn't what she envisioned. Make sure you know your environment, mentally prepare for it and you will be fine.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first race was a half ironman 3 years ago. I had never swum open water until that race. I was kind of scared at the start, but then when I jumped in, I was OK. Don't sweat it... if you cannot swim open water, that is not a deal breaker. You will be a little more worried, but all that will go away when you just start swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devilsman by chance? If it's that race it's in a borrow pit. Muddy, cold, calm, and you can stand up in several places. I wouldn't sweat it.

In their defense, it's a great well supported and coordinated event.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always start out wide and/or near the back to avoid the scrum. But just mentally prepare yourself for getting bumped and possibly swam over. Also, prepare not to be able to see much in the water. Make sure to practice your sighting in the pool. There’s no black line to follow but many people get uncomfortable when they can’t see much in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can practice spotting in the pool. Put up an object (like a water bottle, pull buoy, hot chick) at the end of your lane. Take 4 strokes and look up. Try to time it with your breath and get that motion as efficient as possible. Bonus points if you do that practice in the lane next to the water aerobics class.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this and ended up having a panic attack because of the cold water. My race was a time trial start so I didn't even have the mass start issues. My suggestion is to make sure you get into the water BEFORE the race. Get some water in your suit, get your face used to the cold water, do a bit of swimming if possible, then you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pacing is important. If you start too fast and lose breath control it is easy to panic. Use your first race as experience. Stay out of the scrum and let faster swimmers go ahead. Congrats on your first race. You’ll do great!
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the insight and advice. I have been working with a swim coach to get my technique up to scratch so hopefully come race time I will be confident. And I might try and visit the race site the day before to practice some swimming in the lake also.
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Devilsman by chance? If it's that race it's in a borrow pit. Muddy, cold, calm, and you can stand up in several places. I wouldn't sweat it.

In their defense, it's a great well supported and coordinated event.

It’s actually Jerseyman, I looked at devilman but it was a little far away from me. I have heard Jerseyman is a good course for beginners also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your 1st tri!

Def practice as many open water skills in the pool as possible. Like sighting. And swimming with other people. Maybe swim a little in the dark if you have the option of turning off the lights. It might help with some anxiety of swimming in water where you can’t see much. Not an exact recreation of open water but it might help. (Don’t spend too much time doing tho.)

But if you can do any swimming at the site the days before you should do so. I don’t want to increase your anxiety unnecessarily but a friend who swims a lot in the pool did her 1st tri and she panicked during the practice swim the day before. Then she calmed down and managed to finish the swim. The next day she was totally fine.

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's totally doable, but if you are not a ex-competitive swimmer, expect it to be very challenging and keep the expectations low-reasonable.

I found it helps a ton if you put in a good amount of sighting practice into your pool swims for at least for the few weeks before the race. Like every swim, if you can manage it. You won't be able to go as hard on the intervals, but your added ease and neck strength and timing with the sighting will more than compensate for any fitness edge lost on race day compared to if you are literally doing a Oly swim with full sighting the whole way for the first time on race day. Practice sighting every 3-5 strokes; you'll be surprised how often you will need to sight even on dead-straight courses with no current.

You should also definitely bring your wetsuit to the pool a few times and do a few full workouts with them. You just need to be aware of any problems and fit issues as well as any weird arm/body fatigue issues (compression from the suit affecting breathing being a big one) that you may need a few sessions to acclimate to.
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
It's totally doable, but if you are not a ex-competitive swimmer, expect it to be very challenging and keep the expectations low-reasonable.

I found it helps a ton if you put in a good amount of sighting practice into your pool swims for at least for the few weeks before the race. Like every swim, if you can manage it. You won't be able to go as hard on the intervals, but your added ease and neck strength and timing with the sighting will more than compensate for any fitness edge lost on race day compared to if you are literally doing a Oly swim with full sighting the whole way for the first time on race day. Practice sighting every 3-5 strokes; you'll be surprised how often you will need to sight even on dead-straight courses with no current.

You should also definitely bring your wetsuit to the pool a few times and do a few full workouts with them. You just need to be aware of any problems and fit issues as well as any weird arm/body fatigue issues (compression from the suit affecting breathing being a big one) that you may need a few sessions to acclimate to.

Thank you, really appreciate the advice. I will start the sighting practice immediately and definitely wear the wetsuit to the pool for a few swims. I have never swam in it yet so I really don’t know how it is gonna feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely try to find some open water to swim in before the race. It’s so different than a pool swim. My tri career almost ended before it really got started. First race probably 10 strokes in had to flip on back for 10 minutes and chill out due to panic attack. Water was colder and rougher than I was used to and I had done two practices in the reservoir near me.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first triathlon was an OWS and that was also my first OWS. It was a disaster. Here’s where I went wrong.

Not enough tri-slide or body glide around my neck on my wetsuit. 20 min into the swim my neck was rubbed raw. By end of it I was bleeding pretty bad from literally having a long strip of skin rubbed away.

I was also not ready for how little you can see in the water. I was so used to the black line in the pool I wasn’t prepared for staring into solid brown/greenish water.

The chop can also jack with your stroke and breathing. This was also tough and I even got a little nauseous. Lots of water ingested as I had no idea how to really swim with the chop and waves splashing onto me.

It absolutely can be done, but it’ll probably be an experience so be prepared for the worst, but expect the best.
Last edited by: blueapplepaste: Mar 31, 19 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In some ways having a bad practice swim is going to be worse than no practice.

Assuming your wetsuit is the right size (not too big) , then you'll swim very similar to a pool, just be slightly more bouyant, that you'll notice most in your legs and not needing to kick as much.

The skill differences are swimming straight and navigating, neither of those you'll get in a pool. But come raceday then you''ll have plenty of people around you so you aren't going to get too lost, and if you're that far out from the main body you'll have one of the kayaks slapping you and pointing you back on course.

So then it's down to the way you react. OW courses differ from crystal clear water that is same temp as a pool, to cold dark and murky water that encourages you to swim hard to get out ASAP. But it's all just water and critically water that is of a quality and temperature that's perfectly safe to swim in, or else the race wouldn't be allowed to happen. See if you can find the water temp (check last years race reports). If it's around 16 degrees celcius or equivalent, then consider ether a neoprene swim hat, or a second swim cap to reduce the heat loss which can lead to you getting an 'Ă­ce cream' headache.

Key thing is to get into the water early, brave the feeling of the water htting your lower spine as it comes in through the zip, and then just swim for 2 mins to warm up - trust me it's that first 30 seconds that will freak you, after that it'll be fine.

Oh, one pool drill you could do is to deliberately not breathe on your '3rd'or whatever. So move your head to take a breath, but then take anotehr 3 strokes and then breathe. Do this each length for a set so that you know that if in the race you miss a breath as you turn into a wave or wake, you know that you can just carry on to your next breath without worrying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've had some good advice on here. Add to the comments about practicing your sighting.. in my opinion learning how to sight and in particular how to time it in your breathing pattern is a technique that gets better with practice.

Only thing to add is the importance of being able to breathe to both sides. Bilateral breathing can help with this, or simply alternating your sides in training. If you have chop coming in from one side it is important to be able to adapt and breathe to the other side. Also it can be helpful sometimes to get a look to the side when you breathe if you have other swimmers to keep track of, or maybe if you are following alongside the bank of the lake/river. Anything that builds up your picture of your surroundings is a big help.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your replies and the great advice. I will definitely take all of this on board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're getting some good advice here. I did my first tri with no open water practice. What I learned is this:

Your adrenaline will be up at the start. If you do not keep it in check, you will be swimming WAAAYYY too hard at the start without even feeling like you're putting much of an effort in and suddenly feel like you are drowning 100m into the race.

Your mantra before the start and during the swim should be "swim EASY". Let the people around you go nuts. Don't let them affect you. Make it feel really easy for at least the first half of the swim if not the whole thing. Start racing when you're on your bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
You're getting some good advice here. I did my first tri with no open water practice. What I learned is this:

Your adrenaline will be up at the start. If you do not keep it in check, you will be swimming WAAAYYY too hard at the start without even feeling like you're putting much of an effort in and suddenly feel like you are drowning 100m into the race.

Your mantra before the start and during the swim should be "swim EASY". Let the people around you go nuts. Don't let them affect you. Make it feel really easy for at least the first half of the swim if not the whole thing. Start racing when you're on your bike.

Thank you, I really appreciate this and I will be taking this advice with me on the day. It is definitely not my goal to do the swim fast. I just want to get through it with reasonable comfort. I’m far more experienced on the bike and running than I am in the water so any time that I gain will be on these courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're getting a lot of great advice, but none of it is pertinent IMO for a first triathlon. There are two things you have to worry about:

1. physiological: you MUST get your face in the water before your race. Sighting practice in the pool is nice but it's not going to affect your nervous and reflex systems on race day. Better still if you can get a warmup in 5-10min before the race. Especially if the water is going to be cold.

2. psychological: In addition to relaxing and calming your physiological reflexes, you must PACE yourself, and be comfortable not being able to see anything. It's an ego thing, it's in the head. Start EASY. It will still be way too hard, or at least much harder than you think. Otherwise you're going to go redline and then the mildly annoying lack of visibility will become an existential threat that your body will fight or flight no matter what. See point one on a good swim warm-up.

Everything else is just details... sighting, drafting, navigation, etc. will all sort itself out.

Good luck.

Barberdolan wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Thank you, I really appreciate this and I will be taking this advice with me on the day. It is definitely not my goal to do the swim fast. I just want to get through it with reasonable comfort. I’m far more experienced on the bike and running than I am in the water so any time that I gain will be on these courses.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there’s some fantastic advice already provided here.

I had a panic attack in my first ocean based triathlon and it was mainly due to the colder temp (I don’t wear a wetsuit), starting out too quick and not having enough experience with the surf. I had another one years later and it was due to the cold water (about 55F, again no wetsuit). I completed both of them but had a slow start as I had to calm myself down first.

Depending on the type of open water swim you’ll do - if it’s your first open water swim ever I’d train on sighting. If it’ll be in Jersey chances are visibility might not be 100% and not being able to see under water may be very unccomfortable for some ppl. The most important aspect that I’ve learnt is overcoming the mental challenge of the swim portion. We have all done the proper training to complete the distance but because the conditions are “unknown” it can be nerve wracking. Practice a recovery stroke if you do get very nervous or feel unsure of yourself - mine is backstroke. Most importantly remind yourself throughout that you’ve done the training and you can complete this.

Also, I’d suggest starting in the back and going slow then revving the engine once you feel comfortable.

There are a few tri groups around .. are you able to tee up with them to practice in the open water before the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Lacking open water practice before first triathlon [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
I think there’s some fantastic advice already provided here.

I had a panic attack in my first ocean based triathlon and it was mainly due to the colder temp (I don’t wear a wetsuit), starting out too quick and not having enough experience with the surf. I had another one years later and it was due to the cold water (about 55F, again no wetsuit). I completed both of them but had a slow start as I had to calm myself down first.

Depending on the type of open water swim you’ll do - if it’s your first open water swim ever I’d train on sighting. If it’ll be in Jersey chances are visibility might not be 100% and not being able to see under water may be very unccomfortable for some ppl. The most important aspect that I’ve learnt is overcoming the mental challenge of the swim portion. We have all done the proper training to complete the distance but because the conditions are “unknown” it can be nerve wracking. Practice a recovery stroke if you do get very nervous or feel unsure of yourself - mine is backstroke. Most importantly remind yourself throughout that you’ve done the training and you can complete this.

Also, I’d suggest starting in the back and going slow then revving the engine once you feel comfortable.

There are a few tri groups around .. are you able to tee up with them to practice in the open water before the race?

Thank you for the kind advice. Yes I have a local tri club that I will be joining. They don’t begin their training until mid April however so I haven’t had the chance to meet anybody yet. I am not sure if they practice open water swimming before memorial weekend (when all NY beaches open) but I will definitely enquire. Many thanks again!!
Quote Reply