Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

La Quinta / Indian Wells Ride and/or Swim Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I'll be staying in La Quinta area end of July and wanted to see if anyone knew of good scenic 20mi - 50mi cycling routes and/or places to swim (pool / lake). Looked up IW 70.3 route (Lake Cahuilla doesn't allow swimming) and may do that super early morning if no other option.

Good sunrise view would be great! (or sunset for my short evening run...if not too hot).

thanks!
Last edited by: Tritops: Jul 8, 20 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: La Quinta / Indian Wells Ride and/or Swim Suggestions [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did this ride last time i was out there. it follows part of the route of the Palm Springs century. traffic out there on Dillon road was pretty quiet in the morning. that runs along the border of Joshua Tree so pretty scenic desert landscape. you do have to cross the 10 on one of the over passes. but you could do and out and back using Thousand Palms canyon drive. that was very quiet road as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3117683192

my issue with Palm Springs valley is there are tons of lights and hard to get any consistent riding in. you can take 74 up towards Idlewild but there's not much of a shoulder and doesn't seem very safe. you can also ride out towards the Salton Seas if you can deal with the oder at times. kind of stinky. maybe other locals have ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: La Quinta / Indian Wells Ride and/or Swim Suggestions [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a few training camps out there to prep for that race the last two years.

For swim, there is not a better pool than the one in Palm Desert. I love it and wish it was my home pool. Hopefully it will be open for you:

http://www.pdpool.com/

Also, I recommend following the race route as much as you can for a good 20 to 50 mile ride. Those roads are all pretty open except for the bit on the race track. But you better go before the sun comes up cause July is SPICY out there.
Quote Reply
Re: La Quinta / Indian Wells Ride and/or Swim Suggestions [taldesigns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ended up taking HWY-74 (Pine to Palms) up to Coachella Valley Vista Point from Old Town La Quinta for a 35mi out & back.
Left around 4:30am to beat the heat but was treated to a nice sunrise at the vista point.
Nicely paved roads, wide switch-backs and very few cars at that time.
(Shoulder did disappear but passing cars gave enough room when passing)
Last edited by: Tritops: Jul 28, 20 17:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help with any recommendations, but I have a story

D'Wife & I were visiting her brother out there many years ago, and we went to lunch in an upscale-ish place in either Indian Wells or Indio, I forget now

As we walked through to our table, I spied, behind the bar, a larger than life-size paining of Ricardo Montalban, in full Mexican General attire; complete with tall, feathery hat, gold brocade, medals and epaulettes

Kinda like this guy

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tritops wrote:
Ended up taking HWY-74 (Pine to Palms) up to Coachella Valley Vista Point from Old Town La Quinta for a 35mi out & back.
Left around 4:30am to beat the heat but was treated to a nice sunrise at the vista point.
Nicely paved roads, wide switch-backs and very few cars at that time.
(Shoulder did disappear but passing cars gave enough room when passing)

that's a great road. have always wanted to bike it but been a bit nervous about the lack of shoulder and cars. good camping, 4x4 rides and mtb trails off there.
Quote Reply
Re: La Quinta / Indian Wells Ride and/or Swim Suggestions [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lord Fletcher's? Rancho Mirage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I have spent the last few winters at Lake Cahuilla and have trained in the area. A favourite short ride ( about 23 miles) is from the park out to Madison, turn north then west on 54 Ave., north on Jefferson and west on 52 Ave. All these streets have wide bike lanes. Then go straight to the base of the mountain and turn left ( south ) on Montezuma. Work your way up the hill which also has a designated bike lane. The climb is 1.8 miles ( If I recall right ). Arrive at the top of the hill and there is a shade structure and water fountain at the South west corner ( thank you City of La Quinta). Then turn around and head back. To add some extra distance do a few hill repeats.

Also, from the intersection of 58 Ave and Madison there are equestrian trails or “ bridle paths “ along side the Streets and avenues. It is possible to link them together to create a 13 mile Running route. They are 8 - 10’ wide, compact sand surface and very lightly used and fairly picturesque. Also they are in one mile blocks and work well for speed work.

One other ride I have enjoyed is to go up Box Canyon Road above Mecca. New pavement two years ago ( haven’t been on it since the March down pour ) and a great steady climb. From the Park it is easy to do and out and back of plus 60 miles. I would be very aware of the summer temps up the valley.

Like others have pointed out the Palm Desert Pool is great. Check to see when they are set up for long course swims as a 25 yard lap is so tedious when 50m is an option.

Enjoy your time in the area and check out Casa Sylvia in old downtown Indio for great authentic mexican food. ( beside YellowMart).

Gord
Quote Reply