Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LTHR & Sprint Tri
Quote | Reply
I've been using 165 for bike LTHR based on tests where you try to hold increasing powers for a minute at a time.

For the run, I've been using 175 based on results from 5K races and lookup tables for paces based on those results.

For a sprint tri over the weekend I held a HR of 170 over the swim (avg was lower due to the time to ramp up to that pace) and 170 on the bike (going very hard but this was a sustainable pace for the distance), totalling about 55 min (swim + T1 + bike). For the run I averaged 167 HR.

Just curious about thoughts on how fatigue adds, and whether I need to revisit my run LTHR or whether this is somewhat normal? I figured I'd be able to at least hit my threshold HR for the 5K. I even beat previous run splits by ~30 sec, and the course was very hilly (both bike and run).
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR & Sprint Tri [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't race based on your HR monitor. HR can change much for a number of reasons. Get in tune with your body and just go by how you feel during a short race. Don't limit yourself that way.

I believe that power based pacing, for example, is best for longer races to avoid working too hard early in the race and on the climbs. Personally speaking, for anything short I pretty much know how hard I can go without blowing up. But for longer races (Half IM, IM) it is often those short power surges that come very costly late in the race.

You can still use a HR monitor and look at your file afterwards but I wouldn't limit myself that way.

And as a side note, when you talk about your LTHR based on HR; you are using a variable (HR) to describe another situation (metabolic events at various intensities). While there is a correlation, it isn't perfect. Neither is it alwyas the same due to a number of reasons. HR depends on blood volume which is affected by your hydration status, HR changes with stimuli to the nervous system, etc. and it generally comes with a delayed response.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR & Sprint Tri [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was going how I felt the whole race so that's not an issue.

Looking at it afterwards, though, I was surprised that the run HR was so low compared to estimated LT while the bike was kind of where one would expect.

I was just looking for outside thoughts on where that run HR should end up relative to LT, to determine whether I need to revisit how I'm estimating it, whether I truly am deficient at race pace run endurance, or whether this is typical.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR & Sprint Tri [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
usually the run HR is higher than the bike HR for the same exercise intensity. In a tri, since the run is at the end and your blood volume is most likely less than when you started due to some dehydration, your run HR should be even higher than during regular runs.

admit it that you didn't push yourself on that run.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply