Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LOOK 796 RS - Seat Post issue
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue...

I just bought a new LOOK 796 L/XL frame. As I was going through the fit process, I cut the seat post to the length which allows for a 800 mm measurement from BB to top of Saddle (mind you I'm 6'2" w/ 34 inch inseam). this is also similar to the 810 mm measurement on my current 795 Aerolight, and equal to my previous LOOK 596 measurement.

After cutting the seat post, the seat post would no longer fit into the frame anymore. The remaining seat post is more than twice as thick as the uncut portion (see pic).
Also, the seat post does not have any markings whatsoever outside or inside, showing a limit for the cut. Nor does the Manual.

I finally found a White Paper online on the 796 and there i finally found the first place that actually mentions a Seat Post Cut Limit. It shows a cut limit of 74 mm (2.91 in). See pic below.

In order to get fitted correctly in this bike (to get the 800mm measurement: BB-top of saddle), I need to cut around 3.75 in (95 mm) off the seat post. That means I am over the Cut Limit by 21 mm (0.86 in) !!! And that is without adding the LOOK suggested 6mm of spacers before the cut!
So I am assuming that the thickness of the carbon remained thin up to the 74mm, and since we went over it, it got thicker, and now it won’t fit.

So now i have a major dilemma… if this is the only seat post length, how will I be able to get fitted on this bike? How is most people? On a bike that is so adjustable, how is this possible?

I am sure this is the correct frame size for me… but i cant get the right fit on the bike due to less than an inch issue on this seat post thickness!

Theres got to be something wrong here. What am i missing? Did LOOK screw up on this one ?????
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK 796 RS - Seat Post issue [rd220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask them for a seat post for the next size down. That should do it. We have three length seat posts. Although ours all have the same profile - it should work to get a medium or small seat post.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Mar 6, 18 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK 796 RS - Seat Post issue [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure they have different seat post sizes?
In the white paper as well as on their website, they only mention one size, the 236mm!
Last edited by: rd220: Mar 6, 18 19:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I'm not sure but it makes sense if they change the seat post at some dimension. Most seat posts have 100 -150 mm of adjustment. If they sell bikes to small athletes they can not get them down with the frame alone. There should be a medium or small seat post you can obtain.

Most frames are about 20 mm between sizes ( stand over height). So you need adjustability in seat posts.

Dan Kennison

Last edited by: dkennison: Mar 6, 18 19:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you. That makes sense.
I just don't see anything anywhere online, and haven't been able to get an answer from the dealer yet.
will keep trying.
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this same issue with my new LOOK 796, it’s a small frame indicating the fault relates to all sizes.
Look sent me a replacement post under warranty which when cut down to limit fitted perfectly. You should get the same...
I think it’s just a case of too much carbon material used to build the post.
I would think they are well aware of the problem now
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK 796 RS - Seat Post issue [RIDE YOUR DREAM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I was sure that the issue had to run through all frame sizes.
They definitely screwed something up with it for sure.

Glad to see that they were able to send you a smaller seat post under warranty.
I am going to initiate a warranty return, and hope to get the same.

I've had this frame since Xmas... came without the ZED3 Crankset... it arrived a month later. Since then, Im dealing with this... Cant wait to build it and ride it !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got confirmation from the Dealer that LOOK only makes one seat post size.
so that is definitely a LOOK problem.
Last edited by: rd220: Mar 7, 18 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So - the OD will not fit after cut right? The seat post will not go in to the frame?

What crank length do you have? Maybe a longer crank will be enough to get you down 10 mm. Not the best solution but not a lot of options so far.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. It looks like the thickness of the walls gets much thicker after the "cut limit" - i included a pic on my original post.

I have always ridden 172.5

I am hoping LOOK will do the same as what it did for RIDE YOUR DREAM and get me a seat post that fits me :)

But i will keep that in mind.
thank you
Last edited by: rd220: Mar 7, 18 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIDE YOUR DREAM what part of the world are you located?
Im in the USA.
Just curious where other LOOK, and especially LOOK 796 fans come from :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi again I’m from Australia mate.

Yes Look only make the one size and your right there is too much carbon build at the lower end , limit.
Rest assured Look will look after you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope to visit Australia one day... and swim with the white sharks :)
Thinking of IM Australia or IM New Zealand in the future...
How do you like the 796?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of sharks here. I have done IM Australia a few times now, still thinking about May this years also.
Low the 796 coming from the older 496 model.
What part of states you hangin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I know why I had a bad feeling in my stomach when I contemplated cutting my seat post down. I have a 2009 Look 576 Aero and I bought it from a guy who was my exact height but I think it needs a small cut down but I am just going live with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats great to hear.
I live in Houston.
I loved my 596 (i had 2 of them) and cant wait to get on the 796. I've been a loyal LOOK fan for about 10 years now.
I also have the 795 Aerolight, and that is by far my favorite road bike ever!
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK 796 RS - Seat Post issue [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 576 and 596 are different from the 796.
Both the 576 and 596 have an integrated seat post, i.e. the seat post is part of the frame.
The 796 seat post actually is a separate piece on its own.
Reason being that if you screw up and cut too much off the seat post, you don't ruin the whole frame. You just have to get a new seat post.

Remember, being the same height doesn't always translate is similar saddle heights. You have to consider Inseam length, etc... But as look as you get a professional fit, don't be afraid to cut the seat post. The most important thing is to be comfortable on your bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested to know how long it takes for you to get your replacement, it took about 5 weeeks for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will let you know. I made the Dealer in Switzerland (whom i bought it from, since Look hasn't made this bike available in the US as of yet) aware of this issue back on Feb. 23.
Hopefully it won't be too much longer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been 3 months and still nothing from LOOK on the seat post. It is really getting frustrating.
When you had this issue, did you speak directly with LOOK, or was it through your dealer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI, Look is transitioning their company right now.

Send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you. I'm friends with their crew.

Steven Harad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through the dealer took about a month.
I’m on my second LOOK 796 which has the same seat post problem, have been waiting patiently for about 2 months now for a replacement post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howcome on the 2nd 796? Any issues?
The little that i have been able to ride mine, its been incredible.
this bike is super fast !!!
Last edited by: rd220: May 30, 18 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than the seat post issue I’ve had no problems with the bike just awesome. Look will replace your seat post free of change so just be patient they will get it to you.
I’m on my second bike due to a car accident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally got my new Seat Post earlier this week, and got it installed. All good... finally !!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next