Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LCHF and Calories
Quote | Reply
An article published by the Cleveland Clinic states the following information regarding calories generated by carbs, protein, and fat "A gram of fat has about 9 calories, while a gram of carbohydrate or protein has about 4 calories. In other words, you could eat twice as much carbohydrates or proteins as fat for the same amount of calories. Apr 25, 2019". I'm not sure how LCHF is a long term solution for weight loss or training?
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I usually ask people is, name one food that you can gather in the local wilderness right now that has a high fat content

There are none, except for meat. LCHF is a processed food diet and not a reliable diet for anything outside of very short periods of improving fat oxidation. I'm sure it does more harm than good over a long period of time

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking LCHF would be exactly the things you mentioned, things you can gather in wilderness + meat. What standard processed foods are actually low carb? The average LCHF diet is orders of magnitude less processed than the average American diet.

To the original point of this fairly ridiculous topic, there's no rule saying you have to consume 1 gram of fat for each gram of carbohydrate removed. You lose weight by eating less...

Also... Avocado, coconut, olives, almonds

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Last edited by: Birdmantris: Jul 22, 21 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:
What I usually ask people is, name one food that you can gather in the local wilderness right now that has a high fat content

There are none, except for meat. LCHF is a processed food diet and not a reliable diet for anything outside of very short periods of improving fat oxidation. I'm sure it does more harm than good over a long period of time

As guy posted above, avocado, olives and nuts.

But meat also is not fatty. I have plenty of wild rabbits here.... they contain the most leanest meat in the world
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Generally speaking LCHF would be exactly the things you mentioned, things you can gather in wilderness + meat. What standard processed foods are actually low carb? The average LCHF diet is orders of magnitude less processed than the average American diet.

To the original point of this fairly ridiculous topic, there's no rule saying you have to consume 1 gram of fat for each gram of carbohydrate removed. You lose weight by eating less...

Also... Avocado, coconut, olives, almonds

So basically eat less and a very, very narrow range of foods as almost everything contains carbs. Got it.

You're better off eating carbs and protein with less fat. It's the exact opposite of LCHF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I never get involved in these discussions. I’m going to be brief.

I started what I would consider a low carb way of eating 2 years ago. First intent was to lose weight. I wasn’t looking at is a long term thing.

About 2 months i became fat adapted and my workouts all of a sudden felt like I was on steroids. So I’ve stuck with it. Everyone’s body works and responds to things differently.

To address the original question. When I first started I was tracking all my macros. I focused on making sure I hit my low carb number while keeping my protein high. That was my main concern. I also didn’t want to load up on bacon and processed things so it became very close to a paleo way of eating.

A few months in I was curious and looked back at my logs into calories. Guess what…if you don’t eat processed foods and a huge bowl of Cheerios every morning it’s pretty difficult to eat a high number of calories.

Most importantly…I feel incredible during workouts and in regular life. My doctor says my numbers are of a 20 year old and I’m 44.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So basically eat less and a very, very narrow range of foods

The irony that someone with the name raw vegan is saying a diet has a very narrow range of foods ;-)

I agree do agree though low carb is unnecessary, and likely detrimental to sports performance. For the average person on a terrible diet it may well cut total calories and produce weight loss though (although there are better ways).
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James2020 wrote:
Quote:

The irony that someone with the name raw vegan is saying a diet has a very narrow range of foods ;-)

I agree do agree though low carb is unnecessary, and likely detrimental to sports performance. For the average person on a terrible diet it may well cut total calories and produce weight loss though (although there are better ways).

I actually don't find a vegan diet that restrictive. Cutting all carbs would be impossible. Fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes are all carbohydrate dense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:

Avocados, cashews

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
James2020 wrote:
Quote:

I actually don't find a vegan diet that restrictive. Cutting all carbs would be impossible. Fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes are all carbohydrate dense.

But raw vegan? Pop tarts are out then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:

I'm sure you have no data to back that up. Just as I'm sure the first sentence is wrong. Care to try again?
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

About 2 months i became fat adapted and my workouts all of a sudden felt like I was on steroids.

A few months in I was curious and looked back at my logs into calories. Guess what…if you don’t eat processed foods and a huge bowl of Cheerios every morning it’s pretty difficult to eat a high number of calories.

No its not. You just eat more often. If your sitting on you're ass you will not need to eat as much. If you're training for an IM starving yourself isn't the answer.

How do you know what steroids' feels like?
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And thus why I don’t participate in these discussions.

When you have been running for 20plus years and after about an hour your run pace gets significantly slower. Then without changing anything except the way you eat and fuel you can run two hours and actually get faster the last 30 mins I guess that’s what I consider the “steroid” effect.

I’m not going to criticize the way anyone else eats or fuels their body. All I know is for me I made a life changing alteration to my diet that makes me feel better 24 hours out of the day. And I can run, ride, and swim for longer without tiring.

I eat lots of veggies. Very few processed things and feel damn good.
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yes compared to how I used to eat the calories are significantly less.
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those saying: avacados, nuts, olives etc...

Go outside into the woods and let me know when you come across any of these highly specific, specialized plants

Ever natural food source is carbohydrate based, and when you go into the wilderness you'll find 10,000 carb sources and maybe 2 fat sources that arent meat

If it weren't for grocery stores, LCHF would not exist

stillrollin wrote:

I'm sure you have no data to back that up. Just as I'm sure the first sentence is wrong. Care to try again?

Fat and any hydrocarbons cause residue build up in arteries which leads to heart disease. Carbs are water soluble and do not leave residue. The populations with the highest longevity are nearly always from areas with a very low fat diet

Damaging carbohydrate metabolism and glycogen capability is another good topic

Strava
Last edited by: RossJ: Jul 22, 21 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, I'm sorry man but you sound like a clown. You are absolutely not going out in the woods behind your house and eating twigs. You make it sound like you're just tripping over broccoli everywhere you go

Just because you don't live near them doesn't mean that plants don't exist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
An article published by the Cleveland Clinic states the following information regarding calories generated by carbs, protein, and fat "A gram of fat has about 9 calories, while a gram of carbohydrate or protein has about 4 calories. In other words, you could eat twice as much carbohydrates or proteins as fat for the same amount of calories. Apr 25, 2019". I'm not sure how LCHF is a long term solution for weight loss or training?

I am confused by the "as much" in this comment. Are you saying twice as many calories? Are you commenting on the caloric value by volume?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

I started what I would consider a low carb way of eating 2 years ago. First intent was to lose weight. I wasn’t looking at is a long term thing.

About 2 months i became fat adapted and my workouts all of a sudden felt like I was on steroids. So I’ve stuck with it. Everyone’s body works and responds to things differently.

To address the original question. When I first started I was tracking all my macros. I focused on making sure I hit my low carb number while keeping my protein high. That was my main concern. I also didn’t want to load up on bacon and processed things so it became very close to a paleo way of eating.

Most importantly…I feel incredible during workouts and in regular life. My doctor says my numbers are of a 20 year old and I’m 44.

What numbers specifically?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blood. Cholesterol etc.
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:

I am confused by the "as much" in this comment. Are you saying twice as many calories? Are you commenting on the caloric value by volume?

This line was part of the quote from the Cleveland Clinic. They're fat produces over double the calories than carbs or protein per gram.
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several types of Pop Tarts are vegan. On occasion I may have one, but just not a regular part of my diet.

I guess you're mocking my handle Raw Vegan. I do take in a ton of raw fruits and veggies, bit not totally exclusive. Perhaps I need a disclaimer on all my posts so people like you don't get so bent.

BTW aren't you the same guy that crawls into the fetal position upon mention of carbon shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
This line was part of the quote from the Cleveland Clinic. They're fat produces over double the calories than carbs or protein per gram.

Thanks for clarifying.
Quote Reply
Re: LCHF and Calories [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas if you want an N=1 for some specific numbers (and of course feel free to give it whatever weight you think it deserves), my LDL went from 130 to 65 and my triglycerides went from 150 to 60 in six weeks after cutting out grains and transitioning more to what a triathlete would consider a low-carb diet (a strict low-carb advocate would disagree). A1c 4.9, CRP 0.2

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

I found just the opposite to be true- last year, I lost 15lbs and hit new levels of fitness I'd never seen before (+30W FTP, PRs by 10%+ at every running distance). I achieved these by switching to a high complex carb, low fat diet and fueling my workouts with most "real" food (e.g. clif and Nature's Bakery bars, dried fruit, trail mix, etc.).

Your point about Cheerios is exactly WHY I had so much success switching to a high complex carb diet- these foods are much less calorie dense than high fat foods in particular. One serving of cheerios is about the same number of calories as a spoon of nut butter, yet fills me much better. Cheerios aren't the best example, but think about eating 500 calories of nuts vs 500 calories of brown rice- it's SO much harder to eat that much brown rice in one sitting, and you definitely won't be hungry for a while. I love nut butters as much as anyone, and demolishing 500 calories of peanut or almond butter would take like 2 mins with a spoon.

It's also easier to have much smaller meals that are more filling when they are protein and carb based- a chicken breast, complex carb (brown rice/quinoa, sweet potato, beans, etc.), and assorted veggies (e.g. broccoli, green beans, carrots) stays with you well and can be well under 500 calories. Obviously this meal isn't optimal for every meal, but I'm just using it as an example of how I've used higher carb, lower fat to eat MORE total volume for much FEWER calories. As someone who gets hungry every 2 hours, that's been key to my weight loss.
Quote Reply

Prev Next