Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LBS Etiquette
Quote | Reply
Quick question about taking my bike into my LBS. I recently had a fall on my tri bike and want to bring it in to get it checked out before getting back on it. I would like to bring it into our LBS alto get it checked as they have a great reputation and especially around repairs, though I don’t think the bike needs anything. Problem is I bought the bike at another shop about an hour and a half away only because the fitter there was highly recommended to me. If it helps I have every intention of buying my next bike (gravel) from the LBS, just can’t quite do that right now. Is it poor form to bring my tri bike in? Or should I just make the trek to the shop 1.5 hours away?
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [SVxHR=CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would it be poor form to give business to a shop? Take it in, chat with the guys, have them look at it, etc.

I haven't bought any bikes from my LBS, but I do buy stuff from them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You take your car to a mechanic and more often than not you didn't buy the car there...

You take your girlfriend to a different bar you met her at because you don't want to run into your side chick...

You take your bike to a bike shop you didn't buy it at because you don't want to drive an hour...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any LBS in the current market is f’n stupid if they turn away any service business. That’s where an LBS makes the most bang for their buck anyway. Odds are this shop would be more than welcoming but run for the hills if they are not.

It says a lot about the shop if they shit on you for bringing in a bike they didn’t sell.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You take your girlfriend to a different bar you met her at because you don't want to run into your side chick.

You're doing it wrong...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theoretically no, and if the shop turns away business, be it labor only or other, then they are crazy. FWIW when i bought my tarmac years ago, i bought it from a competing shop to my local because they couldnt match a price which was $300 cheaper. I didnt know much about bikes then, so bought some shimano cranks (change out from praxis) and asked for my local to fit and i would pay labor. My local took the bike and cranks, then sent me a text later that day saying that he has a different idea to me what a local bike shop is all about and i should come collect my bikes and cranks and perhaps use another shop for all future transactions. This despite having a history with said local of buying my very first bike off them as well as other parts etc over the years. I was pissed when i picked it up. Said bike shop is now struggling from burning a lot of bridges around town with similar behavior.
Point is, i dont think its wrong, its all business and coin for the bike shop. They shouldnt turn away business. They should encourage labor only work, it can lead to more for them in the long run and also helps you out. Just be aware that some owners do get their panties in a knot though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was a shop owner I would welcome anyone to my shop who didn't buy the bike from me, it gives me the opportunity to win a new customer based on my service and perhaps they will buy from me next time.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is crazy. My LBS guy and I will sit on my phone looking at parts even though they may not sell it and tell me what to order. They have my business. I drive past 4 bike shops including ones where I've done business with to get to my LBS. They take good care of me and that means more than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does a LBS generally make on selling you a bike? Is there any rule of thumb %? I would guess it's low margins versus parts & labor.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we are missing the question.

He thinks it is bad form because he is not expecting to be charged. And he is not looking for a freebie from a shop that he didn’t buy the bike from.

This is a reasonable question. Take it there and let them decide. If you really feel guilty put a twenty in the tip jar. That is what I do when my LBs does something for free (okay a five).
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies, puts my conscience at ease! And I certainly wasn’t expecting a freebie, happyvyo pay them what’s they deserve, even if it’s just looking the bike over. Honestly, just didn’t know if there might be a bit of tension for not buying from them in the first place. I’ve been to them for kits before but not bike work yet (fairly new to the area), but they seem like a great group of guys and they’re very active in organizing group rides and supporting local events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You take your girlfriend to a different bar you met her at because you don't want to run into your side chick.

You're doing it wrong...

Yeah, kinda

Unless the side piece is a friend of the GF and that's "their" bar

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they will be happy to have you as a customer.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I think we are missing the question.

He thinks it is bad form because he is not expecting to be charged.

I’m pretty sure you’re about the only person that read it that way.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it's only poor form if you get upset that they charge you for looking over your bike. If you crashed and want it looked over, and they actually look it over in detail to make sure it's safe, I would assume you would be charged for that....ESPECIALLY if you didn't buy the bike from them. That's simple business.

ETA: And maybe they charge you and maybe they don't. I just wouldnt think it would be unfair or "bad business" for a bike shop to charge you for said service.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 2, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You're doing it wrong...

Yeah, kinda

Ding Ding Ding - we have ourselves a winner. Is this moral? No. Is this what a good person does? Absolutely not. Does it make for some entertainment for an otherwise dull and boring life. Ab-so-f*ckin-lutely
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You're doing it wrong...

Yeah, kinda

Ding Ding Ding - we have ourselves a winner. Is this moral? No. Is this what a good person does? Absolutely not. Does it make for some entertainment for an otherwise dull and boring life. Ab-so-f*ckin-lutely

Both of you are doing it wrong. Play your cards right, and you want the side chick to know the GF. Know what I'm sayin? ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
LuchaLibre wrote:
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You're doing it wrong...

Yeah, kinda

Both of you are doing it wrong. Play your cards right, and you want the side chick to know the GF. Know what I'm sayin? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by all means bring it to them. if they turn up their nose at it, make it very clear to them that they have lost your business, and why.

there's some weird culture around the LBS and i don't understand it - we're supposed to handle them with kid gloves, walk on eggshells around them, and put up with shit service because "hey, that's bike shops for you." screw that. all you have to do is offer them your business, and that's that.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart and Jason - If we are ever at a race together - I would very much fancy a beer or 12 with you two haha the conversation would be nothing but pure hilarity
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Dad owned a bike shop from early 1970 until 2005. He never turned away someone who needed service because they bought a bike somewhere else, the bike store survives on repairs and service and if you worry about where somebody bought something you won't stay in business very long. He also never had the snooty bike store guy attitude that you see so often these days either. The most annoying behavior from customers was 1) asking to use tools to do repairs themselves, 2) trying to tell us how we should repair their bike as we were doing the work and 3) telling ridiculous stories to try and convince us what a badass cyclist they were. It's all part of the business though, you humor people who act like idiots and try to make sure everyone leaves your store feeling good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're right to raise this question. I'm under the impression that at least for my local shops, particularly smaller ones, there's an unspoken social norm that the strong preference is to service bikes you purchased from them and if you show up with a bike you purchased elsewhere (not even a direct competitor) it won't be as well received.

So there's a small store close to my house, great guys and service. But they push their brands, which I don't like or find comparatively expensive. The approach seems to be, you buy from them and they take care of you. That obviously changes if you don't buy from them - sure they'll make the repair and charge you for it (which is only fair) but you won't be the same level of customer. I eventually got tired of the dynamics and don't take my bikes for service there anymore - I either go to the original shop or family bikes go to an REI type of place.

I wish the business model were different: service completely decoupled from sales.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
The most annoying behavior from customers was 1) asking to use tools to do repairs themselves

That's kinda how I got my first job as a kid, working in a bike shop

I was constantly trash-picking old bikes and fixing them up to [maybe] resell, so I was always in the store buying tires & tubes, chains, cables, occasionally grips or seats, and doing all the work myself with just simple wrenches, screwdrivers and ViceGrips

Eventually, one of the shop guys asked what I was up to, and I brought a couple of my Frankenbikes by. He liked my work, said, "You probably would have done better with the right tool for that" I filled out an application and started not long after

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they will be happy to see you. for sure. new customers are opportunities.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Etiquette [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
there's some weird culture around the LBS and i don't understand it - we're supposed to handle them with kid gloves, walk on eggshells around them, and put up with shit service because "hey, that's bike shops for you." screw that. all you have to do is offer them your business, and that's that.
In fairness, most bike shops are happy to provide whatever service customers are willing to pay for. However, others are definitely a bit touchy, clubby and snobby. Personally, I'm also done with LBSs. I've seen too much surly (no pun intended) service and too many employees that don't know what they're talking about. Also, full MSRP pricing on everything gets annoying. I've never seen a deal in an LBS. Lastly, most shops never have what I'm looking for in stock anyway.

Direct brands + Amazon + a good independent mechanic is the way to go for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next