Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

L3-L4 Disc replacement
Quote | Reply
I have been told that my disc has collapsed at L3-L4, I have tried to deal with the pain for the past 5 to 7 years doing all the usual things, from P/T, Stem Cell treatment to Epidurals but unfortunately nothing has worked to help ease the pain. The latest MRI shows the disc has collapsed more than last years MRI and the neurosurgeon at Cedar Sinai, suggested a disc replacement is the only correction at this stage.

I am going to try Microdiscectomy first but I was wondering if any one here has had a disc replacement surgery and how it all went, were you able to get back to physical activity after the surgery, it sounds so drastic but I guess they are doing a lot of them today, but going through the stomach just sounds so extreme and scary.
Thanks LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: L3-L4 Disc replacement [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get a fusion, it's easier and less risk.
Quote Reply
Re: L3-L4 Disc replacement [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Situation is different, but due to trauma with lots of broken vertebra, I have fusions from c4-c6 and T10-L2. This was 4 years ago, since then I was an avid CrossFitter for 2+ years, now turned triathlete who has done several 70.3's, full IM, and am now training for Ultraman (if ITBS doesn't stop me...)

I'm slow, but that's probably more to do with my poor choice of parents and less years of tri. Back has been zero impact to me after the rehab.

So I can't speak to the disc replacement, but fusion at least at my levels has not materially impacted life or activity.
Quote Reply
Re: L3-L4 Disc replacement [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I know of 3 people who have had low back fusion and not one of them were a success and none ever returned to being able to do very much physical activity, hence me not wanting to consider back fusion. Hence me asking about disc replacement as I don't know anyone who has had this done.
Quote Reply
Re: L3-L4 Disc replacement [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
          My neighbor had a microdisectomy and said it was great for him and it lasted almost 20 years. His discs finally gave way and they suggested a disc replacement through the front of him to do it. He said he feels like a new person and feels 20 years younger now and wishes he would of done it sooner, it just scared him from thinking about it and the procedure of going through the front of him. I talked to him about it because my wife did a microdisectomy and she loves it after 4 months post surgery but doctor told her she has degengerative disc disease so eventually other discs will give way and he highly suggested disc replacement over fusion if the scenario is presented for it to be successful down the road. Not sure if you live in LA from your signature line but if you do you have some great options in the area. We went to Santa Barbara for my wifes surgery and it was spectacularly easy and awesome. So I guess you could say skip the MD and go for the replacement :) Good luck !!
Quote Reply
Re: L3-L4 Disc replacement [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great input, I actually live in Westlake Village, I have been to see Dr Larry Khoo in LA who was very good he was the one who did the 3 stem cell treatments and injections but you have to wait so long to get an appointment with him and then you can sit and wait for hours in the office, the last visit was over 4 hours. I also saw 2 different doctors at UCLA spine center in Santa Monica which wasn't too good, not very helpful as I expected. The last doctor who I saw and who will do the surgery is at Cedar's in Beverley Hills, all are a bit of a drive from home, but well worth it as I saw a few doctors early on out this way and didn't get much good advice or help over the years from them. I think I will do the microdiscectomy first then see how that works before doing the disc replacement. I guess if it works then it is probably the way to go especially over the fusion surgery, but it sure sounds such a scary procedure for sure. Thanks again LA Rob
Quote Reply