Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer -- burning smell and increased resistance?
Quote | Reply
I've been using my KK fluid trainer since 2014. I've loved it and have absolutely rode the crap out of it, so much so, I think I broke it this morning.

Steady effort during a zwift race. I started to smell a slight burning smell that continued to intensify. There was also a very "mechanical" hum that I've never heard before that seemed to increase as well as the resistance of the trainer.

Is it shot? I'm assuming it is, and I will now be buying a smart direct drive trainer, but I'm just curious what happened.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer -- burning smell and increased resistance? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contact Kurt Kinetic itself. They'll have the best idea of what happened, and they might well replace the resistance unit under warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer -- burning smell and increased resistance? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it definitely your turbo and not something on the bike ? (BB or rear hub)? As bearing problems on either of those could explain the increase in resistance and a mechanical noise increase.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer -- burning smell and increased resistance? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, check for tire rubbing on the frame, or...
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer -- burning smell and increased resistance? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely related to the resistance unit as the bike was off the trainer entirely and the flywheel itself was hard to turn

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they have a lifetime warranty, so see if they'll replace it.
Quote Reply