Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kuat or I Up USA
Quote | Reply
I regularly have to transport up to 8 bikes for various reasons - I can get 4 in the back of my F150 with ease but have an old XSport 4 bike hitch carrier - I have narrowed my choices down to the 4 bike Kuat or the 4 Bike 1 Up USA bike carriers.

I have a 1 Up USA indoor trainer and the quality is outstanding .

So time for some expert opinion - if you have either model please let me know the good the bad and the potential ugly.

Thanks everyone

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Kuat or I Up USA [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can wrong with either one. I researched the Kuat and the 1UP before settling on the 1UP. The Kuat appears to be top quality product but I liked the way the 1UP held the bikes, the security system, and the ability to use the system for a double tray, three tray, or 4 tray system. One other feature I liked about the 1UP is how they 'stack' vs having them all on the same level. This could come into play when driving or backing into a steep grade. A 4 bike system will extend off the the back quite a bit and dragging pavement/ground could be an issue. The 1UP has more ground clearance for the bikes furthest away from the vehicle. Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuat or I Up USA [daniel_kirby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a 1up. The customer service was outstanding and the quality is amazing. Very happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the just for four bikes. I got it at performance bike so I got it on sale and got performance points.

It has internal cables to lock your bikes and a work stand arm to wrench your bikes.

If you don't need those two things go with the 1up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned both. Currently am using the 1up. The Kuat does not come close to the quality of the 1up and if you will be carrying any bikes with carbon rims the Kuat uses a plastic strap (with an extender that you will need to buy) to cinch down the rear wheel, deal breaker for me. IMO the 1up is the do all bike carrier, you will never wish you had bought the Kuat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I regularly have to transport up to 8 bikes for various reasons - I can get 4 in the back of my F150 with ease but have an old XSport 4 bike hitch carrier - I have narrowed my choices down to the 4 bike Kuat or the 4 Bike 1 Up USA bike carriers.

I have a 1 Up USA indoor trainer and the quality is outstanding .

So time for some expert opinion - if you have either model please let me know the good the bad and the potential ugly.

Thanks everyone

i've owned the 1up for years (hm... i think it has been 6 or 7 years) and have friends who own all the other racks out there, including the hyped Kuat.

all of them -- every one -- goes nuts over the 1up when we travel together. i've had people come up to my house when my vehicle is in my driveway to ask about it. for real.

it's also adapted well to life changes and changing wheel standards. example: it's always done fine with my road, cross and mountain bikes. it has also handled 650b/27.5+ tire sizes, as well as kid's bikes (back from when he was 4yo on up to his current one with 26" wheels).

i think tires >4" will be a problem (i believe there is an extension or special tray for that).

when a friend shows up with a Lefty, it's no problem. (I know that would be fine with a Kuat, but it's a problem with many other racks.)

great customer service. ticks all the boxes. modular.

no integrated locks, but honestly locking a bike on a vehicle for any material amount of time is asking for it. on those rare occasions i need to lock it (running into the gas station to take a leak) i string a cable lock through it.

good luck with your decision!
Quote Reply
Re: Kuat or I Up USA [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for 1UP USA here. I have also used Thule and Saris racks in the past; the 1UP is (in my opinion) vastly superior in construction. Although my Thule racks are marketed as "no touch", the reality is the wheel straps certainly do crank down onto the rims and it always made me a little uncomfortable. The 1UP by comparison, literally only touches the rubber on the tire. It is beautifully machined, and cleverly simple to operate. (To be fair, the ratcheting arms do take a little 'getting used to' so they slide smoothly without a bunch of clicky-clacky noise.)

My 1UP might not be "pretty" or have the orange status of Kuat, but a bike rack is for safely hauling my bike -- not for impressing the neighbors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks y'all for all the helpful and very sound feedback - now is the time to pull the trigger - leaning towards the 1 Up :-)

Have fun :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Thanks y'all for all the helpful and very sound feedback - now is the time to pull the trigger - leaning towards the 1 Up :-)

Have fun :-)

I've posted this before. I have had my 1UP USA for a few years. The rack, in my opinion, is the best out there hands down.

After lusting after the 1upUSA, I bought the Kuat NV in March of 2015. I HATED it after one week. I was going to add-on two additional racks to make it 4-bike compatible, then realized that once you do that, there's no easy way of going back to two. And there's no option for three.

So I sold the Kuat and bought the 1upUSA and two add-ons. And I absolutely LOVE it.

It's an expensive rack, no doubt. But, take it from me, if you're considering it . . . buy it. Some of the benefits of the 1upUSA over the Kuat that I found from using both:

• No part of the rack touches any part of your bike other than the tires. The Kuat NV would smash against my front brake caliper.
  • It holds the bike level (if that matters to you).
  • You can do two, three, or four bikes very easily. And swap between any of those quickly.
  • The add-ons store in a compact box when not in use.
  • There is no plastic or rubber crap on the 1upUSA to deteriorate.
  • The whole rack folds up nicely for storage when not on your vehicle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my 1Up. Used to have a Saris Thelma, but the wheel straps don't work for a disc. Only downfall to 1Up is the weight when you have 4 racks(about 80 lbs), when you need to unhitch. I usually take 1-2 racks off first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 1 Up and am totally happy with it. I considered all the others, but the way the 1 Up rack is built and the versatility, led me to my decision to buy it. No one else around here owns one and when people saw it, they were very impressed with the design and materials used.
Quote Reply