Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona wins by bike brand
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know what bike brand has won most Konas? Is there a list?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [Jorge Reynal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo

http://lavamagazine.com/...-ironman-bike-count/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are ‘most wins’ listed in the Kona bike count link?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to the pro races only?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think Felt may be close to the top if not the top. PNF rode them, then Rinny and now Daniela. Would be interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just "bike count". Not necesarilly the podiums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started to put together a list. I stopped at 2001 since it figuring out who rode what prior to that would take a bit more digging...

For the men: Specialized=4, Canyon=3, Orbea,Trek=2

2017 Canyon (Lange)
2016 Canyon (Frodeno)
2015 Canyon (Frodeno)
2014 Scott (Kienle)
2013 Cervelo (Van Lierde)
2012 Boardman (Jacobs)
2011 Specialized (Alexander)
2010 Specialized (McCormack)
2009 Orbea (Alexander)
2008 Orbea (Alexander)
2007 Specialized (McCormack)
2006 Kuota (Stadler)
2005 Cannondale (Al-Sultan)
2004 Kuota (Stadler)
2003 Specialized (Reid)
2002 Trek (Deboom)
2001 Litespeed (DeBoom)

For the women I had a little trouble finding pictures from the 2001-2005 races, but I think Badmann was on a Cheetah for all of her victories. Guessing the number of Cheetah victories will be higher if someone digs through pre-2001 victories given the previous 3 titles were Badmann and Bowden.

Cheetah=5, Felt=5, Cannondale=3, Cervelo=2

2017 Felt (Ryf)
2016 Felt (Ryf)
2015 Felt (Ryf)
2014 Felt (Carfrae)
2013 Felt (Carfrae)
2012 Pinarello (Cave)
2011 Cannondale (Wellington)
2010 Cannondale (Carfrae)
2009 Cannondale (Wellington)
2008 Cervelo (Wellington)
2007 Cervelo (Wellington)
2006 Giant (Jones)
2005 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2004 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2003 Cheetah? (Bowden)
2002 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2001 Cheetah? (Badmann)

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jul 31, 18 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paula Newby Fraser had 8 victories which I believe were all on Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I started to put together a list. I stopped at 2001 since it figuring out who rode what prior to that would take a bit more digging...

2017 Canyon (Lange)
2016 Canyon (Frodeno)
2015 Canyon (Frodeno)
2014 Scott (Kienle)
2012 Boardman (Jacobs)
2009 Orbea (Alexander)
2008 Orbea (Alexander)
2006 Kuota (Stadler)
2004 Kuota (Stadler)
2003 Specialized (Reid)
2002 Trek (Deboom)
2001 Litespeed (DeBoom)

For the women I had a little trouble finding pictures from the 2001-2005 races, but I think Badmann was on a Cheetah for all of her victories. Guessing the number of Cheetah victories will be higher if someone digs through pre-2001 victories given the previous 3 titles were Badmann and Bowden.

2017 Felt (Ryf)
2016 Felt (Ryf)
2015 Felt (Ryf)
2014 Felt (Carfrae)
2013 Felt (Carfrae)
2012 Pinarello (Cave)
2006 Giant (Jones)
2005 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2004 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2003 Cheetah? (Bowden)
2002 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2001 Cheetah? (Badmann)

FUGGGGGggggg

Be right back

Selling my Cervelo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgito...

If you consider male wins, I think Specialized got more wins. If you consider female wins, well, due to the # of times the same female athletes have won in Kona, (Like Paula or Natasha) then you should consider their bikes...

My question to you is, are you looking for a new bike and the decision factor is based on how many Kona wins each brand won? (Not the smartest way to choose a bike, in my opinion)

Or maybe this is just a matter of curiosity?

I mean it would be REALLY stupid to choose your bike based on Kona wins. That's how I chose my Canyon Speedmax! :-P

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Dave Scott was on his Centurion for all of his wins, or at least I can't find a photo of him on anything different.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Juancito,

Glad to see you here...too.

I think? I think is like saying "I believe". Not the right answer. Show me the data. I want hard facts. Not beliefs or "thinks".
Not looking to buying a new bike. You and I know that getting a new bike, at least for us mere mortals, depends on many other factors other than podiums.

Just entered into a discussion with a friend of mine. He was saying that Cervelo is the winningest bike ever. I was saying "not".

Slainte Mthat (goodbye in Gaelic).

commandersnake wrote:
Jorgito...

If you consider male wins, I think Specialized got more wins. If you consider female wins, well, due to the # of times the same female athletes have won in Kona, (Like Paula or Natasha) then you should consider their bikes...

My question to you is, are you looking for a new bike and the decision factor is based on how many Kona wins each brand won? (Not the smartest way to choose a bike, in my opinion)

I mean it would be REALLY stupid to choose your bike based on Kona wins. That's how I chose my Canyon Speedmax! :-P
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is absolutely fantastic!!! Thanks bro.

RBR wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

2017 Canyon (Lange)
2016 Canyon (Frodeno)
2015 Canyon (Frodeno)
2014 Scott (Kienle)
2012 Boardman (Jacobs)
2009 Orbea (Alexander)
2008 Orbea (Alexander)
2006 Kuota (Stadler)
2004 Kuota (Stadler)
2003 Specialized (Reid)
2002 Trek (Deboom)
2001 Litespeed (DeBoom)

2017 Felt (Ryf)
2016 Felt (Ryf)
2015 Felt (Ryf)
2014 Felt (Carfrae)
2013 Felt (Carfrae)
2012 Pinarello (Cave)
2006 Giant (Jones)
2005 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2004 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2003 Cheetah? (Bowden)
2002 Cheetah? (Badmann)
2001 Cheetah? (Badmann)

FUGGGGGggggg

Be right back

Selling my Cervelo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorge Reynal wrote:
Hey Juancito,

I think? I think is like saying "I believe". Not the right answer. Show me the data. I want hard facts. Not beliefs or "thinks".
Not looking to buying a new bike. You and I know that getting a new bike, at least for us mere mortals, depends on many other factors other than podiums.

Just entered into a discussion with a friend of mine. He was saying that Cervelo is the winningest bike ever. I was saying "not".

commandersnake wrote:
Jorgito...

Dude, the data is in this thread. Someone posted all Kona wins, both male & female, by bike brand. So... When I was telling you "I think" It was just a friendly and politically correct way of saying:

"Brah, I just looked at the list above in your own post. Do the effing math"

P.S.: Canyon is the best bike ever. When I switched, my Cervelo P5 felt like a Russian shitty car. I still cannot believe the huge difference in all aspects. Quality and "road feel"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man.
The Canyon is definitely on my list as #1 contender. But that will happen as soon as I can crack open my piggy bank.....lol.

commandersnake wrote:
Jorge Reynal wrote:
Hey Juancito,

commandersnake wrote:
Jorgito...

Dude, the data is in this thread. Someone posted all Kona wins, both male & female, by bike brand. So... When I was telling you "I think" It was just a friendly and politically correct way of saying:

"Brah, I just looked at the list above in your own post. Do the effing math"

P.S.: Canyon is the best bike ever. When I switched, my Cervelo P5 felt like a Russian shitty car. I still cannot believe the huge difference in all aspects. Quality and "road feel"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My comment about Dave Scott's bike is not confirmed, but there are people on this board who raced with him, maybe one will post :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, at this level I don't think the bike is giving the athlete an edge.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave’s win in ‘82 was on a custom built Eisentraut. Then he had it painted the Centurion color scheme and labeled it as decaled it as such. Not sure if he ever road a Centurion “Dave Scott” model.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
To be honest, at this level I don't think the bike is giving the athlete an edge.

That is a very interesting claim, actually... I'd love to understand more about which context you are considering to come up with this conclusion.

Are you referring to an MOTP AG Athlete, or to the actual Kona Podium contenders?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That for Kona contenders it won't matter as the brands which have put folks on the podium are probably relatively similar in aerodynamics. The difference would be what fits an athlete specifically.

I think super bikes have a much greater change for an age grouper than an elite athlete. Of note, the Canyon Speedmax and Specialized SHIV were not tested in this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Peak_Aero_6429.html

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 31, 18 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That for Kona contenders it won't matter as the brands which have put folks on the podium are probably relatively similar in aerodynamics. The difference would be what fits an athlete specifically.

I think super bikes have a much greater change for an age grouper than an elite athlete. Of note, the Canyon Speedmax and Specialized SHIV were not tested in this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Peak_Aero_6429.html

True^^ Hell, Norman even won on a Kuota! ;-) Mark A on a Huffy.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

What really matters is the overall setup:

Bike
Bottle placement
flat kit placement
cable routing
position
helmet
clothing
tires/tubes
wheels

You can have a fast bike but if you botch it up with 4 bottles out in the wind, crappy tires/tubes, a slow helmet, etc.... that's going to have a major affect on things. The one instance that comes to mind is Potts running gatorskins and butyl tubes the year he placed 5th. With some Conti TT tires and latex tubes, he very well could have won that year.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welp... I agree that most Pros will ride the highest bidder's bike, regardless (Of course I am just assuming this) of the minor differences between wind tunnel performances.

That being said, I'd love to see Frodo's performance while using Mark Allen's early 80's iron bikes.

Also, as a Canyon owner, I don't understand why they haven't tested the bike on a wind tunnel yet. (unless they did but preferred to hide its results?

Quote Reply
Re: Kona wins by bike brand [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think Felt may be close to the top if not the top. PNF rode them, then Rinny and now Daniela. Would be interesting to see.//

Paula rode a Hamilton in many of her wins, so not sure what bike you can attribute the most wins on. And someone mentioned it already, Dave Scott rode a custom made bike painted Centurion colors. He did ride a Raleigh pro in at least one win, probably Eisentra;ut's in most the others.

And just by sheer volume of wins by Natasha, that one bike will probably be right up near the lead. A Cheetah that virtually no one else bought..

I think a more interesting question is how many times overall men and women has a 650c bike won as compared to a 700c? I think that count would have been very close if you begin the count in the tri bike timeframe(1987)
Quote Reply

Prev Next