Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona practice swim race this Sunday..
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where of if there is a list of entries? I'm so glad they brought this race back, it makes waiting for the actual triathlon race a little more fun. SO who is racing, what do we think? I hope Lionel, Wurf, and Josh all pitch up again. Lets throw in Allistar, Frondeno, Currie, and a few others, and see if they can form that lead pack early, just to show it is possible.

And really, it is going to be comparable for the mens race, as there are a lot more ager's and fast women to fill in the blanks of guys not doing it. For the women it is really just a practice swim, poor Lucy loses her draft on triathlon race day. Times last year were pretty spot on for race day too, so it was a fun comparison to who did what..

And our own Slowman is going to race, what are the predictions for that old man who can barley kick a 50 in under 2 minutes!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Does anyone know where of if there is a list of entries? I'm so glad they brought this race back, it makes waiting for the actual triathlon race a little more fun. SO who is racing, what do we think? I hope Lionel, Wurf, and Josh all pitch up again. Lets throw in Allistar, Frondeno, Currie, and a few others, and see if they can form that lead pack early, just to show it is possible.

And really, it is going to be comparable for the mens race, as there are a lot more ager's and fast women to fill in the blanks of guys not doing it. For the women it is really just a practice swim, poor Lucy loses her draft on triathlon race day. Times last year were pretty spot on for race day too, so it was a fun comparison to who did what..

And our own Slowman is going to race, what are the predictions for that old man who can barley kick a 50 in under 2 minutes!!!

Yeah the difference between Lionel in the practice race and race day is he does not have people to fill in the gaps.

As for slowman, based on his 3000 yard swim he did in the pool the other day which you posted on the fish thread, he is supposed to do 63 minutes. But let's throw in ocean swells and it 65 min. I assume salt water offsets the speed from walls in the pool. Is this an accurate 3800m swim or is it more like 4000m If the latter, then let's add 3.5 minutes and we're at sub 69 minutes for slowman.

I booked my flight a day too late and arrive a few hours after the swim finishes. Are you there and doing it with slowman and pacing him?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since they moved in the buoy in 2016 I believe, the course has been spot on. Well that is what the said the rational for the move was. Doesnt mean Dan doesnt swim crooked, but that is a very easy course to be flat on the line, so I wouldn't give him any handicap there.

I'm just wondering if Allistar will come around Josh for the win, and if Josh battles him hard for it??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last years results for reference:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=95902

I would imagine we would see mostly the same pro's. They should have the athletes loaded up here soon:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=98643

Should be another good battle between Lucy and Josh assuming they both do it. Alistair would make it more interesting if he shows up. I would still give Josh the edge though.

I'm doing this race for the first time. I'm assuming this is a mass start (men & women) correct?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'm doing this race for the first time. I'm assuming this is a mass start (men & women) correct? //

One would assume, as Lucy was able to draft Josh the whole way last year. But since they fill up(not sure the number) it would behove them to do a couple starts, to be able to let in some more folks. I think this is becoming a very popular swim, no need to close it out until you get into the high 1000's+..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I looked at last year's splits between the practice swim and race day and athletes like Amberger were pretty close between the two weekends. Wurf was 8 seconds. Lionel was 2ish minutes delta. Not sure how Lucy beats Josh as I would imagine his flat out 50m sprint is faster, so even if they swim head to head, Josh should get to the finish first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how Lucy beats Josh //

She didn't, and doesn't. But she can get a nice tow if he lets her get on early. He could probably nix that too if he wanted to, but why bother?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be swimming in the race! Pretty pumped to be able to swim with the pros, hoping I can find some feet to draft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed the sign up, and am totally bummed.
As a faster swimmer, I was looking forward to hanging with the front pack!
Next year......

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey I looked at last year's splits between the practice swim and race day and athletes like Amberger were pretty close between the two weekends. Wurf was 8 seconds. Lionel was 2ish minutes delta. Not sure how Lucy beats Josh as I would imagine his flat out 50m sprint is faster, so even if they swim head to head, Josh should get to the finish first!

Only difference is the practice swim goes around the pier to the hotel.

So not sure if you swim a bit short in the practice swim, didn’t notice last year.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only difference is the practice swim goes around the pier to the hotel. //

Ya, that is the old finish, a bit shorter. But I wonder if they start out as far as they do on race day? In the old days when we used that finish, we started much further in than they do now, so perhaps about the same. I believe they now start the big race almost to the end of the pier, anyone remember where they started it last year??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it. Any bets on whether I can beat Lionel? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that race day with recent numbers and large groups creeps a lot more.

Having been in the water during race start a few times my eyeball tells me that the AG men with 1500 people or so swim at least 50m less than AG women and pros.

The welcome swim is more of a very casual/nice/polite affair/timed test. It really isn’t a race for most people, I think it drifts a bit more to start.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Oct 3, 19 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

you gotta give us some recent swim set times, unless you are going to pull a Meza on us... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, it was mainly a joke. I haven't been swimming enough to even have a shot I don't think. If I beat him then he's in big trouble. My 1kTT pace right now is prob 1:19-1:20/100m.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless Frodo's training plan says to swim 3800m race pace on that day he won't show.
His trip to Kona is purely a business trip. He's there for one reason and one reason only. No room for fun or anything that deviates from the plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well with that pace, I bet you could draft him, if you have some old pent up speed from the old days. That's about 1;11 pace for 100 yards, get the full draft affect, another 4 to 5 seconds, and I think you might just be there!! Line up behind him and go for it, make for a great story either way...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless Frodo's training plan says to swim 3800m race pace on that day he won't show. //

Well, with the two lower pool being closed, and the upper one no doubt completely jammed, I bet a few folks jump in on this for a good session. He might want to see what it will feel lie sitting on a Josh/Allistar train. If I were him, I would get on the back of Lucy on that train, with some really clear goggles... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

good luck! But I give you a 1-8 chance of beating Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's too generous lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well with that pace, I bet you could draft him, if you have some old pent up speed from the old days. That's about 1;11 pace for 100 yards, get the full draft affect, another 4 to 5 seconds, and I think you might just be there!! Line up behind him and go for it, make for a great story either way...

Yeah, I'm probably going to blow up after 200m lol. I've never attempted to make a pack like this race will be before. In AG races it's pretty much just settle into my own pace and take it easy for the most part. This will be completely different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
monty wrote:

Yeah, I'm probably going to blow up after 200m lol. I've never attempted to make a pack like this race will be before. In AG races it's pretty much just settle into my own pace and take it easy for the most part. This will be completely different.

You are welcome to sit on my feet.... :)

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just mean! You know damn well I can't hang with you! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

you gotta give us some recent swim set times, unless you are going to pull a Meza on us... (-;
Too soon?? Naaaaaah! Well played! Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Kona practice swim race this Sunday.. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I would say that race day with recent numbers and large groups creeps a lot more.

Having been in the water during race start a few times my eyeball tells me that the AG men with 1500 people or so swim at least 50m less than AG women and pros.

The welcome swim is more of a very casual/nice/polite affair/timed test. It really isn’t a race for most people, I think it drifts a bit more to start.

Maurice

I doubt that will be the case this year with 4 separate AG mens waves.
Quote Reply

Prev Next