Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona lottery
Quote | Reply
Hey, can anyone tell me how/when the lottery for IMH 2013 will open up? Can't seem to find it on their website. Any information would be most appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [DCH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually it is up on race day. I have not seen anything yet.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lottery going the way of L.A. and one senior Kevin Moats. Earn it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [BIGringbrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:
Lottery going the way of L.A. and one senior Kevin Moats. Earn it!!

The lottery will remain, the WTC have little option....when the race was first sold, a condition of the sale was that there would always be a lottery for "ordinary athletes", cancel the lottery the race reverts back to the orginal owner, and that would seriously suck if you are the WTC...........its the soul of the sport

I understand how athletes that are hardass about "you should have to qualify" feel, its their opinion, but my opinion is that if we care about the future of the sport, we should care about the past.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never understood the people that have sh*tfits about the lottery. Usually they are elitists and not elites. While most of them are very talented athletes I think the "snobs" could certainly use some emotional development.

Keep the lottery! Otherwise slow guys like me could never do Kona!

~~~~~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wk8E9Qe6s
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [mrhairylegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly guys...and you can go ahead and book your accomodations to compete at Wimbledon, Superbowl, World series, well you get the point...the worlds full of IM races, go get em and "Q" in. Just my opinion but I'm a traditionalist and proud 11X Q er. Now Lets get out there and train!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Exactly guys...and you can go ahead and book your accomodations to compete at Wimbledon, Superbowl, World series, well you get the point...the worlds full of IM races, go get em and "Q" in. Just my opinion but I'm a traditionalist and proud 11X Q er. Now Lets get out there and train!

I have searched everywhere, even used the search engine here on ST, but I can not find the lottery entry forms for the Wimbledon, Superbowl, or the World Series!! What gives? And isn't the lottery for Kona a tradition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many amateur competitors at those events?

Triathlon has a great 'inclusive' tradition and atmosphere, I'd like to see it continue in that vein; the lottery being fundamental to the maintenance of that ethos in my opinion.

It's a value-added incentive to get more people into the sport: the thought that amateurs can line-up with the World's best through talent, dedication or luck. Luck being a unique opportunity that distinguishes triathlon from the ego-driven excesses of other sports, excesses that make the personalities of those sports out-of-reach for even the most ardent fan. In triathlon, they're there, in amongst the fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [mrhairylegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think the "snobs" could certainly use some emotional development."

When my wife went to Kona on the lottery she found that the first question everybody asks is "where did you qualify". She was expecting the worse when she started telling people she had won the lottery but found people were very nice and helpful, much like the newbie at the first home town sprint tri.

There was however one guy (he was the only one) that was rude to her and walked away when she mentioned the "lottery" word. But that s.o.b. DNF'd. Hahahahaha!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I feel bad for those people. Endurance sports to me is not so much a competitive experience, but a spiritual one - at least the long races (or "events.")

But my experience in Kona is that we could pick out the other lottery winners from across the room - happened 4-5 times! Only had a few a-holes, I tended to just avoid those people. Kinda felt bad for the miserable people.

As for the superbowl/wimbeldon comment....I'm really sorry that you feel the need to get on your pedestal and somehow defend something from people who are slow like myself, but still want to experience Kona. I'm sure you could find some pro triathlete to tell you that you don't belong, but for the most part the elites (not the elitists) are pretty cool!

~~~~~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wk8E9Qe6s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:
Exactly guys...and you can go ahead and book your accomodations to compete at Wimbledon, Superbowl, World series, well you get the point...the worlds full of IM races, go get em and "Q" in. Just my opinion but I'm a traditionalist and proud 11X Q er. Now Lets get out there and train!!

You're not much of a traditionalist if you don't believe in the tradition of the lottery.

Your comparison is very apples to oranges since none of those events are in anyway amateur related.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now that we have one KQ caught doping, how many didn't really qualify legitimately? (I doubt many, but the number is greater than one, IMHO)

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
There was however one guy (he was the only one) that was rude to her and walked away when she mentioned the "lottery" word. But that s.o.b. DNF'd. Hahahahaha!!!!

Wonder what his ST user ID is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given over 400 people get a free ticket to the big dance each year, the lottery is small fry.

We have this discussion every year.

Sponsors get about 120 spots all up. So work for one of those companies.
The USA Defense forces get free spots that they don't qualify for. Unsure of the actual number. 25 or 50?
All countries get free spots of you run a race. ie Caine Eckstein from Australia, never done a race over a sprint got a free tricket. As did the RD niece is years gone past.
The sponsors from local Ironman's alway get spots. The SNAP people in Australia that sponsored IMWA used to get 2 spots eachyear to Kona. I imagine the deal with all other races would be the same.
Jane Patterson from IMNZ gets a free spot that she usually gives away but last year I think she raced. Once again just local here down under.
They gave away spots to the biggest losers and a few indy car racers last year. NFI this year.

And then the 200 spots from the lottery.

So that's a LOT of free spots.

I just don't get why it bugs people. It's still a private race. They can do what they want.

People that think the only way there is to qualify need to get smarter.

I have a mate (Scott) that has done Kona 7 times. Never qualified.
I have another (Fabs) that has done it 3 times. Never qualified. (2x Lottery, 1 free ride.)
I have another (Ken) that has done it 2 times. Never qualified.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Last edited by: PJC: Oct 21, 12 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCH wrote:
Hey, can anyone tell me how/when the lottery for IMH 2013 will open up? Can't seem to find it on their website. Any information would be most appreciated.

I think he lottery sign up is January. Keep checking their website. It's not like they "sell out" lottery chances so you don't have to sign up right when they start.

BTW, I went to Kona in 2010 from the lottery (my first IM). I finished in 12:07 (as if it matters). I had a good time, was very open about how I got there. I have great respect for those that Q and I showed that respect by traing seriously and doing the very best that I could do.

Nobody there seemed at all upset by my presence (at least to my face). One poster said he could easily spot the lottery people there. Not the case with me. I look fast.

My marathon split was faster than Chris Lieto's (he was a bit quicker on the bike, though). He, he.

To all of those who are bitter about the Kona lottery... ha, ha, suck on it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:

Considering you named events that only involved PRO athletes, if Hawaii worked the same than your 11x Q would be down to zero, bc you would not even be offered a chance to compete as an age grouper.....So in a sense the WTC is already giving the elite athlete a chance to compete in Hawaii....so why not do the same for the normal athlete? only fair in my opinion.

My thought on the lottery is that its a good chance for those who work hard to get in.....me personally I will try and qualify..but I have no issue for those who get there by lottery, in the end if you qualify or get there by lottery its not like your gonna win the whole thing so your really there for the same thing.....which is do the best you can!! thats just me though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
January or so is when I've noticed them in the past, though last years info was on the website after the 2011 race. The IM website redesign does an even better job of hiding stuff than before.

Look for it around Nov 1 again.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Oct 21, 12 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BTW, I went to Kona in 2010 from the lottery (my first IM). I finished in 12:07 (as if it matters). I had a good time, was very open about how I got there. I have great respect for those that Q and I showed that respect by traing seriously and doing the very best that I could do.

Nobody there seemed at all upset by my presence (at least to my face).

Really interesting comments here.

I also went last year 2011 on a Lottery and I was the same. I was skinny and looked like I could have qualified. I screwed the race and didnt do so well however I was happy to tell others I got a lottery and those that qualified always were extremely happy for me.

I was having an iced coffee one day and this other family came also and they guy said he got a lottery too. Said exactly the same as what you have said and what I experienced.

Those in Kona that qualified were always happy for the lottery winners.

It was only the people on forums that seem upset by it all.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Military slots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note that although the military was provided 5 male and 1 female slot per the four services, since 2000 that was changed to 3/1 and in 2004 1/1. The policy now is that the service selects 1/1 per gender to be the team representative. reality now is that there are many US Armed Forces members that qualify on their own and are not even allowed to be on the team member because of the 1/1 rule. Back in the day, it was a big deal to be on one of the service teams as it reflected more than half of the original competitors. Once the WTC took full control of the race and the military support that came from former RD's Ms. Silk and Ackles, the tradition ended.

It is now fend for yourself like everyone else for a slot.
BTW-9X IM Hawaii finisher and proudly qualified many more times than that.

In Reply To:

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [PT More] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC has not has not paid much attention to its roots or its history imo starting two sales ago. It's gotten much worse under the present ownership.

Be that as it may I genuinely hope the lottery system continues. It doesn't matter how you get there. What matters is what you do with it when you're there!

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for the information everybody. I will keep an eyeball on the website.

And for the lottery haters -- I agree: suck it. An average Joe competing with the best in the world is what makes our sport so great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:

I find it amusing that people who benefit from the Age Group qualifying process (essentially using a handicap system to gain entrance to Kona) only want people to "qualify" to get to Kona.

Using your own logic, maybe you should "get out there and train" and earn your pro card and line up against Jacobs, Crowie and Macca.

It's the WC's right? Shouldn't only the "best" be there? I'm pretty sure there are guys who are faster than you who didn't make it to Kona because there weren't enough slots in their age group.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've participated in the lottery 8 or 9 times. No luck. My wife? First time, she got in. So years back she did Hawaii on a lottery slot. In spite of finishing multiple half IMs and IMCA she's never felt like an "athlete" or that she belonged. i won't bother explaining what I think the real issue is (haha), but she's never had a bad experience racing or with another athelete. She's never come close to a DNF. Still, perception is reality and the word "lottery" hung over here like a dark cloud. So when she struggled at Kona and was among the final finishers, she had trouble enjoying the fact that she finished at all, and that the 1000s of people cheering didn't see her as "losing" So the transition area on the pier was fairly dark at the end, and as we packed up her gear, that years winner, Chrissie (showed and dressed "normal") walked in with her parents.. She saw my wife and walked the length of the pier and gave her hug, told her it was a hard day, and a remarkable accomplishment, etc. For a brief and shining moment, my wife "got it." The insecurities drifted away and she saw how she and someone like Chrissie are actually alike, instead of different. Chrissie introduced us to her parents and we walked out together. It was truly what Kona is, or should be, about.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had people say " No way he finished the Ironman " after they were told that I have 27 of them, they had to look 2x at me to still not figure it out. It's not how you look, it's how big the heart is....never underestimate someone elase...Or, don't judge a book by it's cover...
I'm very proud to have finished Ironman World Championship, via legacy lottery...Looking at the DNF"S, I'm sure there were a few who had qualified, but, some how, did not complete...
I'm very happy that WTC, is giving back to athletes who have given so much to the sport...Thank you and good luck to all future Legacy Lottery winners, it's an experience you'll never forget, because I won't...Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:

How many of those 11 were Pro Qualifications? If the answer is none you're the same as a lottery winner: Not fast enough for the real race.
Get out there and train, get your pro card, chase points then come back & report in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply

Prev Next