Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens?
Quote | Reply
Possible scenario: a number of qualifying events are cancelled or postponed such that they no longer generate Kona 2020 slots.

Letā€™s say 1/2 of the normal slots are unallocated after the remaining races are run.

What happens then?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome ladies and gentlemen....tonights bidding will start at.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suspect the unused slots from cancelled races would be spread across the remaining races around the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I would suspect the unused slots from cancelled races would be spread across the remaining races around the world.

I thought they are going to be auctioned on http://www.alibaba.com beside the respirator and masks category ????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMWC gets Clorox as the new title sponsor. Clorox makes Hidden Valley Ranch (no joke), so the aid station gel choices might get interesting.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of wealthy Americans will take them. So not much different than usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past when Ironman has has to cancel races they have done a draw for them among everyone registered for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a friend who just did Ironman NZ. Came 3rd in her age group, missed out by 1 spot.
Any chance they could offer her a Kona slot later on?
Could they roll down retrospectively to people who have done a qualifying race already?
Last edited by: MKen: Mar 11, 20 0:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are assuming thereā€™s going to be a kona 2020.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

^this.

And the question will probably be another:
What happens with the acquired slots if Kona does not take place this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
stevej wrote:

^this.

And the question will probably be another:
What happens with the acquired slots if Kona does not take place this year?

An even more jam packed transition in 2021.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m not assuming Kona will happen. I was describing a possible scenario....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

If there is no Kona2020 by October, then there are way way way bigger things to worry about and its not going to be worry about dead people. Its going to be way too many people getting a paycheck of $0.00 every two weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens then?

Right now EVERYTHING is literally day to day and week to week. And everything we say or suggest is speculation. Just look at the last week.

Just over a week ago, it was kind-of business as usual in Italy. Then localized travel restrictions in the North, numerous event cancellations, including several prominent Pro Bike Races, Serie-A and Soccer Matches held in empty Stadiums, now the whole country as of today is in almost Full Lock Down, and various international airlines, are cancelling flights in and out of Italy! That's just one weeks worth of developments.

What will IRONMAN do? Who knows at this stage!!

For a possible look into the future - look to China and South Korea. Confirmed cases of COVID19 have started to trend DOWN now in both countries (it's still bad, but this is good news) - but that was AFTER, almost complete and total shut-downs of those countries (and their economies) for nearly a month! In China, because of the politics there, you can actually do this, the Gov't says, EVERYONE stay at home and all businesses and factories HAVE TO shut down for two weeks, and they send the army out in the streets, to enforce this. Try doing this in ANY other western democratic country!! Good luck!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is no Kona2020 by October, then there are way way way bigger things to worry about and its not going to be worry about dead people. Its going to be way too many people getting a paycheck of $0.00 every two weeks

Indeed.

Purely, selfishly here - my biggest and best year, of Race/Event Announcing & Commentary work that I have lined up, 30+ races/events is possibly teetering on the brink!

No impact yet. But every day is a new day here. For every race/event that get's cancelled there is a good chance some/many of the races/events, I'm scheduled to work at may get cancelled as well. That means no pay/income for me!

Hoping this thing goes away quickly, but mentally prepared for the worst!

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah we will ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

NordicSkier wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by that time the world will have ended. Marshal law, i am legend type of living fighting for toilet paper
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
Marshal law, i am legend type of living fighting for toilet paper

That sounds like Race Morning at the Porta Potties
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
In the past when Ironman has has to cancel races they have done a draw for them among everyone registered for the race.

Hmmm... maybe I should enter a nailed-on-cert-to-be-cancelled race.
A lucky dip will be my best chance of getting to KonašŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are absolutely correct. There is no point speculating. Heck if Ironman has to cancel spring races what actually will happen to the business let alone Kona slots. Today one of the largest races on the planet Gothenburg, Sweden Half Marathon (55,000 runners) due to take place in May was canceled.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Free market capitalism thatā€™s how we rollšŸ‘šŸ¼
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today one of the largest races on the planet Gothenburg, Sweden Half Marathon (55,000 runners) due to take place in May was canceled.

GFNY Championships the same weekend in May has been cancelled. That's one of the largest gran fondo races/events in North America.

The snowball effect is kicking in, and probably for the right reasons.

I read some thing this morning that was pretty sobering - what we are seeing right now, cases, infections, deaths, etc . . . is not what matters. It's what the situation will be in 2 weeks to a month.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There may just be more suicides in humanity from the economic impact of all of this than from the virus iteself. I hope not
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Corona Scenario...what happens? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently there are two cases in the state, both on Oahu (one person from the cruise ship; another who apparently picked it up in Seattle). Tests run on those exposed to them are negative thus far. No one knows for sure that that's it, obviously, since there are so few test kits available.

We could of course lock down the islands, but the economic impact of that would be devastating to a place whose major employer is tourism. Not to mention the fact that the Kona Costco is already out of TP.

Ian
Quote Reply