Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona accomodation
Quote | Reply
It's my first time to the island and am wanting accomodation for 6 people for race week this October. Any recommendations for where to stay? AC is a must. Will have a car but want to be within easy reach of town.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona accomodation [TriathlonVR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean when you say 6 people?

- Mom, dad and some kids
- Mom, dad, kids and grandparents
- Casual tri friends wanting some space
- Three couples

It makes a difference on what to recommend.

FWIW, I've done the mom, dad and kids route twice and we stayed at the Kona Makai condos that had a master bedroom, loft bedroom and pull out couch. Worked great for us. Kids don't need a lot of space.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona accomodation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. There will be 6 adults (3 couples) so double rooms would be preferred
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you’re likely looking for a 3 bedroom. I’d look on something like VRBO for a house down Ali’i Drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of trouble trying to book something through VRBO. A lot of units are tentatively reserved for someone or have minimum stays or special rates that aren't listed. After striking out on 15-20 inquiries, I ended up contacting konacoastvacations.com. They are a broker, I gave them what I was looking for and they found some options at reasonable prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We booked a condo for a very reasonable price, considering 12 nights, on VRBO back in late Nov when airline tickets came available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do the Kona Wyndham, it is 2 rooms and then a pull out sofa sleeper in the living room, so if one of the couples wants to pay a lower rate, that may be the better option. It is ~1mi from the pier, 1/2mi from expo and right on Ali'i Dr. It is where I stayed the years that I went and my parents still go every year and they continue to stay there. Can usually find stuff on VRBO or Craigslist. We have Tues - Monday (I think those are the dates, need to confirm with my wife) booked as of now, not sure if we have someone for it yet, but if not I will be posting it for rent in the coming weeks. DM me if you are interested.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona accomodation [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations. I've now booked a 3 bedroom place through Airbnb on Alii Drive in Keauhou. Easy enough to get into town but also away from the action as my family aren't just there for the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, yeah we have looked at the house route a few times and end up always going back to the Wyndham. Maybe one day we will find the right house for the right price on race week. Enjoy race and the island, it's a special place for sure!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Kona accomodation [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We looked at so many places and actually prefer self catering, especially in a build up to a race. I prefer the relaxed nature of having our own space and can obviously have better control over my food choices. The place we've booked looks ideal.

Just need to decide whether to stay on Kona or visit another island for a week after the race....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O well, the Wyndham is all self catered. Full kitchen in your own Condo. Yeah, I would highly recommend a bit of time on big island and then head over to Kauai!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply