Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Slot distribution changed for 2017?
Quote | Reply
This event will offer 30 slots to the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship, Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i. Age group awards will be based on our traditional age group categories; for the purpose of Kona slot allocation we will blend the oldest age groups into a 55+ category for each gender.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...h.aspx#ixzz3po4KViZU

Leading the way for 2017 and beyond?
Last edited by: teambernina: Oct 27, 15 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are 'blending' the 55+ slots, I'd wonder how it's done to not favor those closer to 55. At this rate with new races being added, it will be AG winners only pretty soon if they don't go to a points system.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
This event will offer 30 slots to the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship, Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i. Age group awards will be based on our traditional age group categories; for the purpose of Kona slot allocation we will blend the oldest age groups into a 55+ category for each gender.

Wow, just tell the older folks to stay home. HUGE difference per year going up from 55!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually wont ever do another IM event if it comes to this?!
The only reason y I attempt is in hopes of of KQ someday!?
If there is no hope, there are a million other races to go to.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
If they are 'blending' the 55+ slots, I'd wonder how it's done to not favor those closer to 55. At this rate with new races being added, it will be AG winners only pretty soon if they don't go to a points system.

The issue is lack of clarity IE are they considering 55+as one AG? Or several and "pooling spots" Basically no one 60 and over will qualify at that race. Before they make an announcement they should likely qualify that statement.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well - I guess it's not yet a given this will be rolled out for all races. Might be only for the races with less than 40 slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
teambernina wrote:

Wow, just tell the older folks to stay home. HUGE difference per year going up from 55!!

Do you have a better solution to the ever growing problem of 1 slot for 1 competitor?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a solution, and I don't find fault for WTC determining what and how to manage their own series. But as an older competitor, I don't think anyone 60 and up who is interested in a KQ would select this race. The reality is that isn't a very large number to begin with, so WTC isn't worried about the impact on registrations by older athletes staying away. And if they maintain the 1 slot per age group minimum, but only at select races for older age groups, then they are in essence declaring regional qualifiers for those IMs that do provide 1 slot per AG in the 60 and up groups. Perhaps that is where they are heading.

Again, I don't fault them for the decision on how to operate IM Weymouth, but I do find fault for not communicating their intent and new slot strategy to the buying public. This is, after all, a sea change in the longstanding policy of always having 1 slot per AG with a finisher.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it were to be rolled out it would be the end of the Lew Hollander stories. which would be too bad. it would also be lame if it was announced after registration had opened. and lastly, it won't be durable 'cause we're three to five years from that being the largest AG.

$0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
but I do find fault for not communicating their intent and new slot strategy to the buying public. This is, after all, a sea change in the longstanding policy of always having 1 slot per AG with a finisher.

Aren't they in fact communicating their intent, at least with regard to this particular race? You are making the assumption that this is part of an overall change in policy. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. They are making it clear to anyone interested in registering that at this race, for the purpose of slot allocation, age groups 55 and up will be combined.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I don't think anyone 60 and up who is interested in a KQ would select this race.

that's the idea

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this generally how IM tests new procedures though? Rolls it out at a race or two and sniff out the reaction? With all the races now (i.e Vineman) and a limited Kona pier (as it's currently configured), they gotta start doing something re slots

But yes it is clearly announced for this race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to change the title to Kona slot distribution or something similar to differentiate this thread of the plethora of other threads debating the number of Kona slots per race.

Nice spot though

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
but I do find fault for not communicating their intent and new slot strategy to the buying public. This is, after all, a sea change in the longstanding policy of always having 1 slot per AG with a finisher.

Aren't they in fact communicating their intent, at least with regard to this particular race? You are making the assumption that this is part of an overall change in policy. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. They are making it clear to anyone interested in registering that at this race, for the purpose of slot allocation, age groups 55 and up will be combined.

Yes, they have communicated their intent for that race, but without providing any rationale, and to whether it is an isolated case or a new policy. So I'm not making any assumptions. Again, they should have announced their intent and whether this is part of a new strategy. I stand by what I said, nothing more and nothing less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Ironman Weymouth race in 2016 is 30 slots so it might apply wider than thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
teambernina wrote:

Do you have a better solution to the ever growing problem of 1 slot for 1 competitor?

Why is it an issue? If you ever get old enough and can still race, I bet you have a different opinion.

I feel these old folks have earned the same right to compete, no matter how few are in their AG.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
teambernina wrote:

Why is it an issue? If you ever get old enough and can still race, I bet you have a different opinion.

I feel these old folks have earned the same right to compete, no matter how few are in their AG.

So a 70 year old male that goes 16:30 and is the only one in his ag deserves to go to kona over a 30 year old male that went 9:30 and finished 5th in his ag?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you awsered his question.....you just layered on a statement.......with the "you kid get off my lawn"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
teambernina wrote:

So a 70 year old male that goes 16:30 and is the only one in his ag deserves to go to kona over a 30 year old male that went 9:30 and finished 5th in his ag?

Yep.

I guess we should not have old folks at Boston either. Again, just wait, if you are lucky, and get old and can still race. You clearly do not understand how most sports
are organized, and who pays some of the Bills.

Taking your attitude, we should have NO Age groups in races, and the fastest 40 get Kona, with no sex bias either.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Oct 27, 15 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a fair point, but it's not why these changes are being made. They are being made because of the increase in the number of IMs. 50 slots per race -> overcrowded Kona. Slots per race therefore has to come down and some AGs have to suffer. It's numbers and business, not merit.

Eta: you could do away with AGs completely and just hand out KQ slots to the top 30 non pro finishers. Not sure that. Would play well to the big volume demographic groups though (M35-49).
Last edited by: Greg66: Oct 27, 15 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slots changed for 2017? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
That is a fair point, but it's not why these changes are being made. They are being made because of the increase in the number of IMs. 50 slots per race -> overcrowded Kona. Slots per race therefore has to come down and some AGs have to suffer. It's numbers and business, not merit.

Why?

Lets just take the top 50, or 40 or 30 fastest, with no sex bias. Otherwise, well, .....

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Slot distribution changed for 2017? [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I feel like they just put an expiration date on my Ironman racing. That sure is demotivating.
I say any athlete that can still race Ironman over 60 deserves the one slot/age group they get. I think people don't realize how superb an athlete it takes to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

Why?

Lets just take the top 50, or 40 or 30 fastest, with no sex bias. Otherwise, well, .....

I understand the idea to encourage diversity and I think it is great for the sport and society as well. I also like the idea that people are working hard for something and not just given it. I realize just finishing is quite a task but I think having some minimum time standards of some sort along with KQ is important. I don't know you get to those standards but I'm sure some actuary could formulate some

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. The statistical odds of even starting an IM let alone finishing in your 70s are far more remote than an an athlete in their 30s finishing in the top 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a guy who's "I'm never doing a IM" you do care a lot about how they do thier business......

Bc I'm old do I get to steal batteries at Walmart without worry too? No, it's thier game they can write the rules.

Just think of all the people standing out there all night long so some old dude can stumble about untill midnight [pink]
Quote Reply

Prev Next