Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona SRAM mechanical help
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks

Just arrived in Kona to find the battery clip on my SRAM rear derailleur has snapped - must have happened in transit although nothing else appear to be damaged. Has this happened anyone else and if so any suggestions for an emergency fix? Any help appreciated.

Anyone from SRAM going to be in Kona over the next few weeks?

Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t say for certain that they will, but SRAM techs were at St G in May
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape it on as a last ditch effort if you can’t get it fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorilla tape it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Hi Folks

Just arrived in Kona to find the battery clip on my SRAM rear derailleur has snapped - must have happened in transit although nothing else appear to be damaged. Has this happened anyone else and if so any suggestions for an emergency fix? Any help appreciated.

Anyone from SRAM going to be in Kona over the next few weeks?

Check in at Bikeworks and see if they have something on hand they can swap for your RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions - Will call to Bike World. If all else fails I`m going to epoxy and tape it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked for SRAM's road and triathlon team until 2017. I've been gone for five plus years, so take this advice with a grain of salt, because there's been a pandemic and constant supply chain problems since early 2020.

1. Go to Bike Works in Kona like others suggested. The owners/managers have a great relationship with SRAM that continues to this day.

2. In my time, SRAM always had a pop-up store on Ali`i Drive or a booth at the Ironman expo. The expo booth was always ready the night the expo opened.

Every year, the pop-up store and booth were in partnership with Bike Works and they often had groupsets, wheels and power meters to sell. The SRAM staff *may* be able to help you with parts or repairs. They strive to help racers.

Please be careful with epoxy, especially if you need to remove and charge the battery. Good sticky tape and zip ties might be a better option.

Good luck with the fix and the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sonja from SRAM here.

As already suggested, some good electrical tape is your best solution. You will be able to secure the battery and still remove it to recharge and for travel.

We will have a Sales and Marketing Team at the Expo beginning Monday Oct 3, but will be not providing any mechanical support this year. We will suggest riders visit the local bike shop, Bike Works for any repairs or adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what model derailuer is it? if i have one that matches ill send it to you.
Last edited by: iurnman: Sep 26, 22 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry this happened to you and hope you find a solution.

Just curious - did you remove the battery and use the little tab covers for travel?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 26, 22 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi David,

The crazy thing is that I always carried my bike in a soft bike case with the battery on the derailleur and never had an issue. This time with the long trip to Kona I changed to a hard case (Bikebox alan aero easyfit) and removed the battery and inserted the red battery block.

The suggestion to use Gorilla tape is actually working well so I think I`ll go with that on race day. What`s not clear to me now is whether the plastic clip can be replaced or if the SRAM unit is now a $750 paper weight. I guess that`s for another day to figure out.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Irunman,

Thank you for your very generous offer! It`s very much appreciated!!

As I mentioned at this point I think I have a short term solution for the race - I`ve tried the Gorilla tape on a few long rides and the battery is holding solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nailed it!

this did the trick and I`m fairly confident it will hold up for race day.

Thanks to the Slowtwitch community for all the support and especially to STConcierge for trying to find a solution in the background.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Nailed it!

this did the trick and I`m fairly confident it will hold up for race day.

Thanks to the Slowtwitch community for all the support and especially to STConcierge for trying to find a solution in the background.

Sounds like you're good for the race.

Since it's likely end of season for you, if nothing else happens when you get home I'm sure you could find someone that's handy with a 3d printer to make you some sort of fix for this piece, it looks like there's a piece that may have some tabs to pop out and then print a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad it worked! enough race stress related crap to deal wiith right? Just wanted to help you out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad the tape is working. I don't leave til Friday and I'd be glad to help source something for you if that helps.

I have the same bike case as you (how do you like it?) but I'm using TriBike Transport for this trip. Did TSA open your case? I had a bent brake disc when I went to Roth and I think it was because TSA opened the case and didn't close it quite right.

Again, happy to help if there is anything I can do.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the Gorilla tape?. Did it hold up for the race do tell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is after the fact... and doesn't help your issue, but I use this on my derailleurs when I'm travelling/shipping the bike. Those tabs apparently can be easy to break off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Behan...
Which cassette is this? What gradation is it?
Tenks for answer
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Xeon - yeah, I actually did have that battery block on the derailleur. Interestingly, the battery block was in the case when I unpacked the bike but the broken piece of the battery clip could not be found.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah - the tape worked like a charm, that battery is solidly attached. Thanks again for the tip - no way electrical tape would have held in the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Oh yeah - the tape worked like a charm, that battery is solidly attached. Thanks again for the tip - no way electrical tape would have held in the heat.

My pleasure. Take care out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [Trdiata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cassette is a SRAM Red 12sp 10-33t

I`m running a single 52t chainring on the front and I`m really happy with the gear range from that combination
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was looking for SRAM as well. Shimano had a tent right in front of the host hotel, taking care of needed adjustments for customers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona SRAM mechanical help [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Shimano had a tent right in front of the host hotel, taking care of needed adjustments for customers."
---------------------------
Super great guys. Even helped me with a very minor SRAM adjustment.

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next