Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runout wrote:
This from fitwerx.com:
One concern with Di2 is that the $900 rear derailleur is a big deal to replace in the event of a crash. Shimano engineers realized this and, should the bike crash and strike the rear derailleur, it disengages the worm drive and moves inbound towards the wheel to protect itself. When the system is put under load again, after a few shifts it resets. Should the crash be bad enough that the automatic alignment does not reset to your liking, you can use the system adjustment buttons on the fly to adjust the shifting. This adjustment only takes seconds when practiced and it is actually easier than a standard cable adjustment.

So it seems that Shimano anticipated a shock side loading and properly engineered the rear derailleur shift mechanism to withstand some sort of side impact which, in the absence of a 'breakaway safeguard' would try to drive the worm gear via the ring gear which is mechanically not possible. This is a mysterious failure indeed. My engineer's gut tells me this likely happened through some form of side loading during shipping...perhaps multiple times, bouncing in the plane cargo hold, continual loading from stuff piled on top of the bike...something along those lines. Murphy can be a real dickhead.

I don't know about that. How many people fail to take their bike for a post-shipping "shake out" ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that the Dash saddle rails are Kevlar and not Carbon, not sure of the strength differences between the two.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that a failure like this will usually happen over a period of time. After the worm/ring gear teeth are damaged, the gearing grinds itself to death due to the sliding friction between the worm and the ring gear. Worm gear drives are very reliable but can fail in this manner....from nylon gear sets in garage door openers to steel/bronze worm gear sets in industrial gearboxes. Heather was here for a relatively long time (4 weeks?) before the race and would have done a lot of riding, post bike assembly. Just sucks to have this weird failure mode go the distance on race morning. Shimano has all the information in their hands to get down to the root cause of the problem but with the preponderance of di2 systems out there with millions of shift cycles and the lack of this kind of issue, one has to believe that there is very low likelihood of systemic design issues. Imho, Shimano has done a stellar job designing and deploying this system.
Last edited by: Runout: Oct 12, 15 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have never heard of a broken crank.

The history of cycling is replete with crank failures. Most notorious have probably been:

1) 1970s era Campagnola Record;

2) 1980s era Shimano Dura-Ace AX (broke two or three myself, and I'm generally pretty each on equipment);

3) 1990s (?) CNC-machined cranks, e.g., Sampson;

4) 2000s FSA carbon cranks (frequent failure at pedal hole).

Etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
stevej wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Here's what Cervelo say happened to Heather:

*"The good folks from Cervelo and an expert from Shimano took a good look at my bike this afternoon. Turns out the actual Di2 failure was a 1 in a never seen before problem with the shifting mechanism within the derailer. It had nothing to do with the electronics - the signal was arriving but the worm gear that drives the shifting was somehow broken/shredded (possibly by an impact, loads of riding, then another impact - in transition somehow? A final straw kind of deal, which is why it worked fine the day before and to start on race day, but snapped during the ride). Basically just incredibly unlucky and there was nothing I could do to fix it."

So it was a mechanical problem. Can't wait to see what all the mechanical/anti-electronic folks have to say.

Isn't the wormgear peculiar to an electronic system? So yeah it is "mechanical", but it is a fairly precisely engineered component that is only required in an electronic derailleur system, therefore a potential weakness (it seems) that you wouldn't have in your purely mechanical setup.

That said, I'd still buy Di2 if I could afford it!! Cos of shiny.

Yes it is. Probably should have been more specific in my statement. Like you said, it was a mechanical problem but only specific to electronic systems.

Looks like E-shifting derailleurs are less tolerant of impacts; advantage "mechanicals"[/quote]

I've had a Campagnolo C-Record rear derailleur, with less than 1000km on it, fly apart on a hill climb during a junior nationals race. As best we could tell, one of the 4 parallelogram (sp?) pins came out and it blew apart. Mechanical stuff breaks too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I believe that the Dash saddle rails are Kevlar and not Carbon, not sure of the strength differences between the two.

Maurice

Carbon is stronger. Kevlar is tougher. Most of the time, you'll see intelligent combinations of the two when it's done right. Carbon internally for structural strength and rigidity. Kevlar externally for toughness.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1970s era Campagnola Record"

i snapped one of those. landed on the top tube, right on my nuts.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
my bars had been knocked off center by at least 20 degrees. I don't know how much force that would take to move them that far...but I bet I would not want to see what that force looked like when it was applied to my bike.
Back in the days of steel steerer tubes and quill stems, it was common for racers to set up their bikes with the stem not very tight in the fork - the rationale being that in a crash the bars would turn rather than bend or break. Didn't take much force, but there bars/wheels don't get hit from the side riding anyway. I did it that way and could center the bars by holding the wheel in place and pushing hard.

I'm not sure that is appropriate with a carbon steerer (and don't use one) nowadays.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Carbon is stronger. Kevlar is tougher. Most of the time, you'll see intelligent combinations of the two when it's done right. Carbon internally for structural strength and rigidity. Kevlar externally for toughness.

I have two Dash saddles, the rails are Carbon/Kevlar weave. The rest of the saddle is Carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So much for titanium. Was torqued to mfg specs too. Any word from john?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
RoYe wrote:
stevej wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Here's what Cervelo say happened to Heather:

*"The good folks from Cervelo and an expert from Shimano took a good look at my bike this afternoon. Turns out the actual Di2 failure was a 1 in a never seen before problem with the shifting mechanism within the derailer. It had nothing to do with the electronics - the signal was arriving but the worm gear that drives the shifting was somehow broken/shredded (possibly by an impact, loads of riding, then another impact - in transition somehow? A final straw kind of deal, which is why it worked fine the day before and to start on race day, but snapped during the ride). Basically just incredibly unlucky and there was nothing I could do to fix it."

So it was a mechanical problem. Can't wait to see what all the mechanical/anti-electronic folks have to say.

Isn't the wormgear peculiar to an electronic system? So yeah it is "mechanical", but it is a fairly precisely engineered component that is only required in an electronic derailleur system, therefore a potential weakness (it seems) that you wouldn't have in your purely mechanical setup.

That said, I'd still buy Di2 if I could afford it!! Cos of shiny.

Yes it is. Probably should have been more specific in my statement. Like you said, it was a mechanical problem but only specific to electronic systems.

Looks like E-shifting derailleurs are less tolerant of impacts; advantage "mechanicals"[/quote]

I've had a Campagnolo C-Record rear derailleur, with less than 1000km on it, fly apart on a hill climb during a junior nationals race. As best we could tell, one of the 4 parallelogram (sp?) pins came out and it blew apart. Mechanical stuff breaks too!!!
No sh*t Sherlock.Thanx for stating the bloody obvious.
The problem with e-shifting is it is more complex, which means there is more things that could possibly go wrong.
mechanical is simpler and more tried n true,

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. He'd seen the problem, but not with any sort of regularity. It seems it is not a problem with the saddle rails. It's a problem with the saddle rails when they are clamped in certain hardware. John said he saw it the most with Cervelo's clamps, but they may also be a function of Cervelo's popularity.

In any case, that's why he redesigned the saddle to use Cro-Mo rails last year.

But he's redesigning the seat again, and I'm going to help with it. Might see if we can get someone to do FEA on it. Here's what I know:
- I've ridden an HC or SHC 170 saddle from 2009-2015 (except for 2014) without an issue. Probably 50-60,000 miles. And I would typically ride a saddle for two years or more. In that time, I had three different types of clamping hardware: Thomson and Specialized and, for 2015 only, Dimond. This was my first issue.

- The problem clearly happens, but it's not overwhelming. I described it as unlikely, but definitely not impossible or even improbable. And it seems, at first glance anyway, to be a function of more than just the saddle.

- John has seen it with the Cervelo most often, but I haven't asked what other bikes are on the list. I have now seen it with a Dimond. My friend Jay saw it twice on a SpeedConcept, but using the old-style clamp that was identical to the Specialized clamp that I never had an issue with.

So, basically, there is no clear conclusion. It was enough a problem that John switched to cro-mo, but not enough of a problem that I couldn't log countless miles without an issue until Saturday.

I do note that Kraig Willet's broken Fizik also had solid Ti rails. And that Fizik no longer uses solid Ti but instead carbon, cro-mo, or a their own proprietary k:ium alloy. Hollow metal rails seems like a better idea to me than solid, as they should be more likely to buckle than fracture.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guddis wrote:
Carbon cranks brake. Done it 4 times.

Seriously, first time I have heard of a crank breaking and I have had carbon cranks on 2 bikes (but generally stuck with Al).
Ive broken two Al cranks, and one BB...and Im not a big guy whatsoever. It happens.
Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
rferic18 wrote:
Didn't Rapp's saddle break?

Yes. The saddle rails snapped in four places. Progressively. One rail snapped about 30km into the ride, and it was manageable, but with the saddle being weakened by the one rail snapping, it just kept breaking more. By the time I was climbing to Hawi, the saddle was basically just loosely held onto to the top of the seatpost.

After the turnaround in Hawi, I flagged down tech support and sad, "I need a saddle." They had one guys bike on the roof, and we just pulled the saddle off and swapped it in. But obviously wasn't able to position it correctly. It was better than what I had, but it was pitched way up, so I had the choice of either riding it MTB style - sitting back big-slam style on it - or sitting with the nose of the saddle jammed into my prostate. I needed to stand a lot to take pressure off and just generally was pretty uncomfortable. But I was able to finish the ride and thought I might run okay. But my legs were pretty messed up from doing 150km without proper support under my ass...

When you think about "shit happens" during a race, this was not something that ever entered into my consciousness... Kona definitely has some Bermuda-Triangle-esque qualities when it comes to bikes.

I've always avoided carbon railed saddles but I put a Dash saddle on my bike last winter... mainly because I wanted to try the Dash but I wish Dash had a Ti railed saddle.

Sorry about your bad luck.

These were titanium rails that snapped. Solid titanium rails...

I guess they should have gone with Aermet.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more like adamantium

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Guddis wrote:
Carbon cranks brake. Done it 4 times.

Seriously, first time I have heard of a crank breaking and I have had carbon cranks on 2 bikes (but generally stuck with Al).

Ive broken two Al cranks, and one BB...and Im not a big guy whatsoever. It happens.
Stephen J

I am surprised by the number of people who reported their stories about broken cranks (including Dan and Andrew Coggan). I am just surprised, because I started riding in 1980, and never seen a broken crank in real life and never heard of any training partners breaking them, and never seen it happen in a protour cycling race or pro triathlon race or any of the local/regional/national events that I have been at. Literally this thread is the first time I hear of everyone with cranks cracking/breaking. I am still curious what happened to Jeff Symond's crank...whether it cracked or if it came off the spindle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff confirmed to me after the race that the binder bolts came loose (or were loose) and that it came off the spindle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan. Mine was in a Blue Triad, so not sure what actual type clamp they use. I'm nowhere near the mileage guy you are and it lasted a year at most. Pretty disappointing I must say. Back searching for the right saddle.....

I appreciate your insight and the candid words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Rappstar and All,

Perhaps this is the future ..... where we don't need no stinking rails .......... from 60 years ago.

This is a Dash saddle and seat post ........... but a seat post adapter and a fastening plate attached to the saddle (like my Adamo with rails removed) should work just fine. Tilt can be adjusted with shims and wedges.

If you need a bit of vibration relief ...... put in a thin pad of elastomer material before fastening it down.

If you need a lot of vibration relief cut a piece out of an old Hoka shoe sole and put it in there.

Also this clean design will put more air to the low pressure area behind your butt and should make you a bit faster ........ and it will be damn hard to break.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:
What I've heard is that when he went to apply the brakes for the turn the cable snapped and which led to the crash. The bars snapped as a result of the crash.

That's too bad about Matt. After my crash at IM Switerland in 2011, and seeing how badly carbon base bars shatter, I have gone to Aluminium basebar only. They may bend ever so slightly in a crash, but you can likely get up and continue your day if your body is OK.

Do you know if the cable snapped or did it just come lose at the Allen Key bolt where the cable attaches to the brakes. I literally have never heard of a brake cable snapping in all my years of cycling. The forces on them SHOULD be too low to cause a failure. There is a reason why brake cables are thicker and more robust than shifter cables. I know it is easy to Monday morning QB all this (that's what fans are supposed to do anyway) but would be very surprised with a truly "snapped" brake cable. Real bummer for Matt however you look at this.

In terms of Symond's broken crank. I bet you the crank was not broken. I am guessing it came lose. Again, I have never heard of a broken crank, but I have heard of cranks improperly tightened coming lose and this happening after travel is not entirely uncommon either.

I just posted the video of Jeff riding by at mile ~95 or so on the bike and the crank arm is intact - it may be loose, he was unclipped and pedaling with one leg.
https://www.facebook.com/...?v=10207744664120581

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:
What I've heard is that when he went to apply the brakes for the turn the cable snapped and which led to the crash. The bars snapped as a result of the crash.

That's too bad about Matt. After my crash at IM Switerland in 2011, and seeing how badly carbon base bars shatter, I have gone to Aluminium basebar only. They may bend ever so slightly in a crash, but you can likely get up and continue your day if your body is OK.

Do you know if the cable snapped or did it just come lose at the Allen Key bolt where the cable attaches to the brakes. I literally have never heard of a brake cable snapping in all my years of cycling. The forces on them SHOULD be too low to cause a failure. There is a reason why brake cables are thicker and more robust than shifter cables. I know it is easy to Monday morning QB all this (that's what fans are supposed to do anyway) but would be very surprised with a truly "snapped" brake cable. Real bummer for Matt however you look at this.

In terms of Symond's broken crank. I bet you the crank was not broken. I am guessing it came lose. Again, I have never heard of a broken crank, but I have heard of cranks improperly tightened coming lose and this happening after travel is not entirely uncommon either.

I just posted the video of Jeff riding by at mile ~95 or so on the bike and the crank arm is intact - it may be loose, he was unclipped and pedaling with one leg.
https://www.facebook.com/...?v=10207744664120581

-SD

I wonder if the bolts were loose and as a result he stripped the splines by pedaling...

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was Brad really competing barefoot? Awesome athlete back a couple of years. Barefoot on Hawaiian tarmac sounds risky
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Was Brad really competing barefoot? Awesome athlete back a couple of years. Barefoot on Hawaiian tarmac sounds risky

Don't think Brad ever did Hawaii. Focused on short course, ITU, F1, etc. He ran barefoot at an indoor race in France (in the Velodrome). Very short stuff, spectator-friendly taking place in the Bordeaux Velodrome (they did another one in Paris Bercy too the same year I think).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that's a weird break.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Bike Failures [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
rferic18 wrote:
Didn't Rapp's saddle break?

Yes. The saddle rails snapped in four places. Progressively. One rail snapped about 30km into the ride, and it was manageable, but with the saddle being weakened by the one rail snapping, it just kept breaking more. By the time I was climbing to Hawi, the saddle was basically just loosely held onto to the top of the seatpost.

After the turnaround in Hawi, I flagged down tech support and sad, "I need a saddle." They had one guys bike on the roof, and we just pulled the saddle off and swapped it in. But obviously wasn't able to position it correctly. It was better than what I had, but it was pitched way up, so I had the choice of either riding it MTB style - sitting back big-slam style on it - or sitting with the nose of the saddle jammed into my prostate. I needed to stand a lot to take pressure off and just generally was pretty uncomfortable. But I was able to finish the ride and thought I might run okay. But my legs were pretty messed up from doing 150km without proper support under my ass...

When you think about "shit happens" during a race, this was not something that ever entered into my consciousness... Kona definitely has some Bermuda-Triangle-esque qualities when it comes to bikes.

I've always avoided carbon railed saddles but I put a Dash saddle on my bike last winter... mainly because I wanted to try the Dash but I wish Dash had a Ti railed saddle.

Sorry about your bad luck.

These were titanium rails that snapped. Solid titanium rails...

I guess they should have gone with Aermet.

Stephen J

9310 will get you 95% of the way there for 10% of the price :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next