Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023
Quote | Reply
Per Tri-Today

The Ironman World Championship is moving to another location: Nice, France. At least a part of it, because starting next season, the Ironman World Championship will be held in two separate locations each year. In 2023, the men, both pros and AG, will race in Nice on Sept. 10, while the women will compete for world titles in Kona in October. A year later, in 2024, roles will be reversed and women will come to Nice, while all the men race at Kona. For at least the next few years, the men’s and women’s races will be separate and will continue to rotate between two different venues.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Last edited by: Sbernardi: Nov 29, 22 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any source for this?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:

slowtwitch forum?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:

https://tri-today.com/2022/11/breaking-ironman-moves-world-championship-to-nice-mens-and-womens-race-will-rotate-between-france-and-kona/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://tri-today.com/2022/11/breaking-ironman-moves-world-championship-to-nice-mens-and-womens-race-will-rotate-between-france-and-kona/

lots of caveats of this not being fully confirmed..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If true, not the worse idea in the world

(no one want to race in a place where we are not welcome... and Kona is WAY overpriced)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

slowtwitch forum?

Lol, it shall be hammered in stone

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because Nice is so reasonably priced :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might as well not have the pro race and give Gustav his trophy now and save everyone the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just booked a "just in case" reservation for the speculated dates in Nice at $550usd/night for a basic hotel, my Kona booking is $685usd/night for a full resort.

Having stayed at both properties in the past, the Kona hotel at $135/night more is a head-and-shoulders above Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Might as well not have the pro race and give Gustav his trophy now and save everyone the effort.
He loves that Nice course!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there for 70.3 World in 2019, not a cheap place... but about half of current Kona cost, locals were happy and the city was not overwhelmed with +5000 athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Per Tri-Today

The Ironman World Championship is moving to another location: Nice, France. At least a part of it, because starting next season, the Ironman World Championship will be held in two separate locations each year. In 2023, the men, both pros and AG, will race in Nice on Sept. 10, while the women will compete for world titles in Kona in October. A year later, in 2024, roles will be reversed and women will come to Nice, while all the men race at Kona. For at least the next few years, the men’s and women’s races will be separate and will continue to rotate between two different venues.

That would explain why they put the Legacy registration on hold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Nice hospitality industry will catch on and jack up rates as well.

I wonder if this is real, or a leak intended to scare the officials in Hawaii into giving in on whatever demands they have been making of IM to host another 2 day event...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been one of the biggest advocates for keeping the World Championships in Kona, but I am surprisingly pleased with the split to Nice.
Hope it happens.
Cost for accommodations will be sky high, but so was Kona this year (I hear, wasn’t there).

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will men have a chance to defer their entry to the 2024 Kona if they already accepted it with the expectation they would be racing in Hawaii? I would be very unhappy if I was in that position. They had to beg people to come race in St George. The draw for most is bucketlist Kona, not the Ironman World Championships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Will men have a chance to defer their entry to the 2024 Kona if they already accepted it with the expectation they would be racing in Hawaii? I would be very unhappy if I was in that position. They had to beg people to come race in St George. The draw for most is bucketlist Kona, not the Ironman World Championships.

They could but they wound also be well served increasing the available slots in Europe for the men’s field if they are concerned about filling the race and Americans unwilling to make that trip.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already qualified for Kona '23, accepted my slot, paid the registration, and booked travel to Kona. I'll be pretty pissed if everything changes now. So far I've received no communication about this from IM and their official WC page still says 2 days in Kona, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd be even more pissed if I were someone in the US who just missed a rolldown, and now a few folks who accepted a Kona slot ahead of me might cancel because they can't swing a Euro trip. Or vice versa for Euro athletes who might have passed on a Kona slot because they didn't want to fly to the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
the Nice hospitality industry will catch on and jack up rates as well.

I wonder if this is real, or a leak intended to scare the officials in Hawaii into giving in on whatever demands they have been making of IM to host another 2 day event...

Yes and No... that city is used to deal with half of France showing up for the whole month of August... we are talking about 2500-3000 athletes (+fans), small potatoes.

Big event in a small city vs Small event in a big city.
Last edited by: benleg: Nov 29, 22 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m watching for this. I KQ’d at Wisconsin for 23. Waiting to hear directly from Ironman before I cancel all my plans. Already booked flights and Vrbo for October. This is going to be an absolute mess.

Mission Kona Podcast
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2568182
Kona 2024 Qualifier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

I would assume they would allow a deferral to a year the race is in Kona. That's what they did for St. George
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

I would assume they would allow a deferral to a year the race is in Kona. That's what they did for St. George

That's what I'm hoping for. Honestly not sure if I'd go to Nice or Kona again given the option. But after qualifying for "Kona" I'd at least like the opportunity to think about it.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gonna through this out there that we've been able to confirm precisely zero of this so far.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If true can we go back and give Mark Allen 16 world titles? 10 in Nice and 6 in Kona.

The 80's debate has come full circle....

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
If true, not the worse idea in the world

(no one want to race in a place where we are not welcome... and Kona is WAY overpriced)

... while Nice is cheaper !!
Quote Reply

Prev Next