Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if this is still a program? Seems like they should have updated their website by now if it is, considering last year's opening registration date was November 3.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/register/ironman-legacy-program.aspx#axzz4xIwZEF3b

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The opening of the lottery is usually associated with the Kona TV broadcast. The broadcast was really early last year. Be patient, WTC isn't known for being timely with their web site information.

The program isn't going anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It still exists. I have a legacy spot for 2019. It is not a lottery any more it is a queue. Once you have completed 12 IM you can go to the back of the queue and it will take 2+ years to get to the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.... wasn’t aware it was that backed up but makes sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
It still exists. I have a legacy spot for 2019. It is not a lottery any more it is a queue. Once you have completed 12 IM you can go to the back of the queue and it will take 2+ years to get to the front.

And you have to do an Ironman every year to stay in that queue if I am not mistaken.

I think my buddy got in next year, and Kona will be Ironman 16? Honestly it seems almost like a burden to him to have to keep training for yet another Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct you have to do one IM a year to stay in the queue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just asked yesterday and got a response that applications ... for getting in line ... should open next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

And you have to do an Ironman every year to stay in that queue if I am not mistaken.

I think my buddy got in next year, and Kona will be Ironman 16? Honestly it seems almost like a burden to him to have to keep training for yet another Ironman.

I'm at #12 and 16 sounds about right (2020). But I will blow right past that count after Kona. As long as I have the resources (and physical ability) to get to new venues I hardly see it as a burden. I'm very excited about #13 at IM Norway next summer (11th different venue for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

It doesn't always take 2 years to get in. I know three guys that raced Kona this year via the legacy program and this year was the first time they applied. Two of them applied as soon as they got their 12th race and the other was around 20 races but it was his first time to apply.

I know two other guys who also applied for the first time with 12 finishes and were wait listed to 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Could be a burden. Or you could just half train and put in one 14+ hour slogging day of misery a year until you get to Kona

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Could be a burden. Or you could just half train and put in one 14+ hour slogging day of misery a year until you get to Kona

That said, maybe an Ironman with no finish time pressure might actually be a more pleasant way to do it; provided a reasonable amount of fitness has been maintained.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting this info from? As I understand it and as was posted by several folks in this thread, it's still a lottery. You only go in queue if you didn't get selected. If it was strictly a queue, no one with only 12 IMs would be able to get in their first year of eligibility. A few folks on here have already contradicted that non-lottery premise.

Perhaps the people in queue will get an extra few number of ping pong balls. Perhaps the lottery is 75 slots the other 25 is dedicated to the front of the queue. No one outside of WTC really knows, that's why I'm interested in your source of info.

Ironnerd wrote:

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Where are you getting this info from? As I understand it and as was posted by several folks in this thread, it's still a lottery. You only go in queue if you didn't get selected. If it was strictly a queue, no one with only 12 IMs would be able to get in their first year of eligibility. A few folks on here have already contradicted that non-lottery premise.

Perhaps the people in queue will get an extra few number of ping pong balls. Perhaps the lottery is 75 slots the other 25 is dedicated to the front of the queue. No one outside of WTC really knows, that's why I'm interested in your source of info.

Ironnerd wrote:

The fact that WTC exercises subjective discretion doesn't make it a lottery. For the vast majority, it is a queue. The question at hand is how does WTC determine those few outliers that move to the head of the line for the first year, while others wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

Woohoo.. pay $3k+ and use up my vacation days to slog through a miserable Ironman. No thanks.
Whatever floats your boat I guess.
That being said, my wife seems insistent on IMMT next year, so maybe I'll un-retire from the distance for number 8.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

Ironnerd wrote:
It still exists. I have a legacy spot for 2019.
It is not a lottery any more it is a queue. Once you have completed 12 IM you can go to the back of the queue and it will take 2+ years to get to the front.

The title on my email from WTC is Legacy Program - 2019 Wait List.

The following from the IM web site also implies that it is a wait list rather than a lottery.
Due to the amount of eligible applicants we currently have, we can longer make a guarantee on the proximate year entry and athletes who are not selected will be placed on a wait list. An athlete’s place on the wait list will be based solely on their Legacy application time-date stamp.
Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/...m.aspx#ixzz4xPN90b7S

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly it seems almost like a burden to him to have to keep training for yet another Ironman.

Another option could be that you enjoy the training and don't consider doing yet another Ironman a burden...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Registration opens 30 Nov 2017 at noon EST and closes Monday, 29 Jan 2018 at 11:59 EST. Notification will be published 28 Feb 2018 at noon. Athletes who are not selected for 2018 participation will be put on a -- wait for it -- "wait list."

Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Nov 15, 17 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Registration opens 30 Nov 2017 at noon EST and closes Monday, 29 Jan 2018 at 11:59 EST. Notification will be published 28 Feb 2018 at noon. Athletes who are not selected for 2018 participation will be put on a -- wait for it -- "wait list."

Ok, I have a couple of questions for those of you who seem to know what's going on with this:

Does anybody know if there's any other selection criteria for the 2018 slots (or the first year an athlete enters the legacy lottery) or is this just based on chronological order as well? I signed up for legacy last week and I'm just trying to figure out when I might get accepted.

Does anybody know if you have to re-apply each year, if you aren't accepted the first year you apply? If you don't have to re-apply, (i.e. you're on the wait list and your place in line is solely based on your time-stamped entry) how do they verify that you complete Ironman events during the years after you apply and while you are still waiting in line?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anitan1 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Ok, I have a couple of questions for those of you who seem to know what's going on with this:

Does anybody know if there's any other selection criteria for the 2018 slots (or the first year an athlete enters the legacy lottery) or is this just based on chronological order as well? I signed up for legacy last week and I'm just trying to figure out when I might get accepted.

Does anybody know if you have to re-apply each year, if you aren't accepted the first year you apply? If you don't have to re-apply, (i.e. you're on the wait list and your place in line is solely based on your time-stamped entry) how do they verify that you complete Ironman events during the years after you apply and while you are still waiting in line?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, you have to re-apply each year until you are picked up. I can assure you that they verify the races you put in...and yes, every year there are people who try to game the legacy system with phony completions (just like every year there are cheaters trying to KQ). When you reapply each year, you still have to list 12 races, as well as identify two from the last two years and a registration for the coming year. So basically, you are updating your paperwork and shifting the list of races forward one year and identifying the 2018 race you have registered for.

Are there other selection criteria? Yes, the company that owns the race can allow people to cut the line for whatever reason. If you search the forum there was a thread where a doctor wrote a note to WTC because his patient's window of opportunity for completing the IM was shrinking fast due to a degenerative knee issue. WTC moved him up the list and he finished this past Oct. It was a good call.

When will you get accepted? If 2018 is your first application (it was for me) then most likely you are looking at 2020 provided you maintain your qualification and reapply for 2019 and again in 2020. There is a THIN window for some applying this year to get picked up in 2019 and there is a chance it could take until 2021. Which year depends on where you are on the list, whether WTC maintains 200 acceptances per year (they only promise 100) and whether the number of applications for 2018 increases or decreases relative to past years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yes, you have to re-apply each year until you are picked up. I can assure you that they verify the races you put in...and yes, every year there are people who try to game the legacy system with phony completions (just like every year there are cheaters trying to KQ). When you reapply each year, you still have to list 12 races, as well as identify two from the last two years and a registration for the coming year. So basically, you are updating your paperwork and shifting the list of races forward one year and identifying the 2018 race you have registered for.

Are there other selection criteria? Yes, the company that owns the race can allow people to cut the line for whatever reason. If you search the forum there was a thread where a doctor wrote a note to WTC because his patient's window of opportunity for completing the IM was shrinking fast due to a degenerative knee issue. WTC moved him up the list and he finished this past Oct. It was a good call.

When will you get accepted? If 2018 is your first application (it was for me) then most likely you are looking at 2020 provided you maintain your qualification and reapply for 2019 and again in 2020. There is a THIN window for some applying this year to get picked up in 2019 and there is a chance it could take until 2021. Which year depends on where you are on the list, whether WTC maintains 200 acceptances per year (they only promise 100) and whether the number of applications for 2018 increases or decreases relative to past years.

HuffNPuff, Wow, thanks so much for all of the useful information. Yes, I applied this year (just last week) for the first time. I completed number 12 in Mont-Tremblant. However, I also spoke with Mike Reilly in Mont-Tremblant, who seemed to think that the wait list wasn't very long at all and that most people who completed number 12 in 2017 would get to Kona in 2018. I realize that he's just the guy who announces the finish, but it sounds to me like he was sadly mistaken.

Honestly, all along I've been assuming that it wouldn't happen in 2018, although after my conversation at IMMT, I was left with a glimmer of hope. Nevertheless, 2019 would be fine with me and is what I've expected all along. However, the thought of waiting until 2020 is disturbing. The simple fact of the matter is that, like everyone else, I'm getting older. And I'm certainly not a gifted athlete. These Ironman events and the training leading up to one takes a lot out of me (just like everyone else). I'll remain hopeful, until I get the dreaded 2020 letter from WTC. Like you, I plan to continue to participate in these events as long as I'm physically able, but I would sure as hell love to get this Kona monkey off my back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's hope Mike Reilly is right. But just suppose there were 390 people on the wait list before the 2018 program was opened to applications; and suppose WTC continues to accept 200 per year without any gamesmanship in the order. Then at 200 per year, they would clear the 2017 starting list (i.e., what was left after Kona 2017) in 2019 leaving room for just 10 new applicants that signed up on this round. The question of the day is how many additional people qualified for the first time in 2017 and will apply before the deadline; and how many more will apply next year?

Please post back if you are accepted for 2018...that would indicate that Reilly is correct but I wouldn't hold out hope for it if I were you.

FYI - I put in the comments of my application that I do NOT want to do the race in 2018 or 2019 even if my name came up. Although I'll be 61 this year, I don't have time to do the race right this October. In 2020 I can make it to the swim the week before, do all the activities the preceding week, and stay a few more days to tour. But Kona won't be the last IM for me. I hope to continue working on my bucket list and do one per year up to age 70-71 before retiring from long course...assuming I'm physically able.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Let's hope Mike Reilly is right. But just suppose there were 390 people on the wait list before the 2018 program was opened to applications; and suppose WTC continues to accept 200 per year without any gamesmanship in the order. Then at 200 per year, they would clear the 2017 starting list (i.e., what was left after Kona 2017) in 2019 leaving room for just 10 new applicants that signed up on this round. The question of the day is how many additional people qualified for the first time in 2017 and will apply before the deadline; and how many more will apply next year?

Please post back if you are accepted for 2018...that would indicate that Reilly is correct but I wouldn't hold out hope for it if I were you.

FYI - I put in the comments of my application that I do NOT want to do the race in 2018 or 2019 even if my name came up. Although I'll be 61 this year, I don't have time to do the race right this October. In 2020 I can make it to the swim the week before, do all the activities the preceding week, and stay a few more days to tour. But Kona won't be the last IM for me. I hope to continue working on my bucket list and do one per year up to age 70-71 before retiring from long course...assuming I'm physically able.

Dang, you're a beast! Ok, I'll update this thread as I know the verdict from WTC. The comment you made about not wanting 2018 or 2019 is an important one. Thanks again for all of your help and information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear Mike doesn't think the list is very long - I'll have #12 done next year and will be content if I'm in 3 or 4 years from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff,

-I applied for the Legacy Program in mid-November 2016 right after #12 in Arizona.

-In March 2017, I received notification that my application was validated, and that I was definitely in for 2019 (as long as I remained eligible), but there was a slight chance that I would get in for 2018.

-I did #13 in Santa Rosa in July to maintain my eligibility.

-In late November, I registered for Arizona for 2018.

-Two days before this year's Legacy Registration opened, I received an email that I would not be in for 2018, but if I remained eligible, and re-applied this year and next, then I was in for 2019.

-I re-applied on November 30, to maintain my spot on the list.

That gives you an idea as to where they were (at least in late 2016)...

-
Last edited by: ibjeff: Jan 4, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [ibjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx Jeff. That's exactly my point that everyone applying for the first time in 2017 should not expect to race before 2020. That means the reality for the current Legacy Program is that Kona is most likely going to be your 16th Ironman. You could make it the 15th if you register for your final qualifying IM the month after Kona, but either way they got your money.
Quote Reply

Prev Next