Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Helmet choice
Quote | Reply
In the run up to first time in Kona and just working out the final details. I had made the decision to go with my aero road helmet (first gen Specialized Evade Tri) for the race for the extra ventilation. However, when looking at what people were wearing last year, I was surprised to see that many were wearing TT helmets. As I am hoping to be racing at the pointy end of the field, I am interested to see the best option. My current TT helmet is the POC cerebel, and it is definitely faster on my than the evade in my position) but wondering if I will risk cooking during the bike.

Anybody have any good / bad experiences racing the Cerebel in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Helmet choice [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the Celbral but I did have a meltdown in the Kask

Been running an aerohead for over a year and it’s fast but a portable oven - I am wearing the Vanquish this year

I lost well over the 2 to 3 mins I will likely lose using the Vanquish soft pedaling and stopping to pour 2 bottles of water over my head never mind the impact on my run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When everybody’s favorite cyclist, Lance Armstrong, was doing his Kona week podcasts last year, at one point he remarked on how crazy it is that so many people use TT helmets in Kona conditions.

I usually use the Specialized TT helmet, but am going to use my Bontrager version of the Evade in Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually *feel* hotter in my Evade helmet on training rides than I have ever done in my POC Cerebel racing... Notwithstanding, I would still take my Evade to Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not use a TT helmet in Kona. Chrissy won in a road helmet, Gordo chose a road helmet due to temps I believe. If you have any issues with heat, use something like the Aether MIPS, said to be as cool as the Synthe & lighter/more aero, depending on the reviews & propaganda you read or see.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Sep 12, 18 20:49
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Helmet choice [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, well, so pretty conclusive "no to TT"..Unless you are all my potential competitors and want me to lose the time ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first year in a Rudy Wing 57 and wanted that thing off my head well before the end with the vent fully open. I did the next few years in a Giro Air attack with visor that was a lot better. Last year I trialed a Met Drone in the week before as Frodo used to use as it has a large air volume around the visor but even that was too hot. I also had the Catlike Rapid Tri I trialed and settled on that as it is cool unlike any time trial helmet. How much aero advantage that is over an evade I'm not sure but probably very minimal. Setting yourself up without a cooked brain for a better run is far going to outweigh the minimal time gains you may get IMHO. I couldn't imagine doing the race in a POC Cerebel although I had a mate win his age group in a Kask Bambino with visor so each to their own.
Quote Reply