Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona DNF list and reasons
Quote | Reply
I am having a hard time keeping up with the DNFs and the reasons, feel free to expand on your views on these DNFs.

Sarah True: mechanical but not sure why she decided to stop

Patrick Lange: medical ? or did he know he was doing poorly ? what happened here?

Cody Beals: mechanical but I think he should have kept going for good sport

Mirinda Carfrae: not sure, I know her elbow was broken going in but not sure why she pulled out

Any insight would be welcome. I watched the race off and on all day but did not see any coverage of these DNFs. Also feel free to add those I missed.

Kudos to Lauren Brandon for finishing the race, albeit, not the best time for a pro, but I respect those that at least try to finish.
Last edited by: AC_triwarrior: Oct 14, 19 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [AC_triwarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sarah true said on Instagram she has been having cardiovascular issue and her heart beat was an issue. That’s part of why she stopped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah True: IDK
Lange:Fever the night before almost blacked out on the bike apparently
Cody Beals: IDK
Rinny: frozen glute so stopped (I think the rough swim didn't help either)

Thats all I got.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rinny's IG post
"After spending the past 5 weeks concerned over whether my radius would heal in time to actually toe the start line (it did) I actually had trouble with my SI joint on the bike. it’s happened a handful of times in my career. Basically starts to tighten up & locks down my entire left glute, adductor, VMO & I can barely turn the pedals. I’m not sure what triggered it, but will find the answer."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah True posted on the gram that she had heat issues again
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Oct 14, 19 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True's IG post:

I'm an optimist. I had hoped that my weird heat issues this season were behind me. They aren’t and my day in Kona ended in an ice bath partway through the bike course. I’m heartbroken to be unable to finish, to be unable to show my fitness, to be unable to show my love for my sport in the best way possible- making the best of whatever the day held on triathlon’s biggest stage.

If I were a stronger person, I would have been able to put myself aside last night to celebrate the victories of @janfrodeno & @tri.anne.haug with coach @danlorang and the races of the Zwift Tri Academy athletes and other friends. But I wasn’t strong enough & spent the evening with manta rays, @benjtrue & @anseldickey.

I send my heartfelt congratulations to anyone who finished this epic race. This is such an incredible sport.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Oct 14, 19 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals on IG:

A disappointing day at the #IMWC. I was riding in a solid position near the Hawi turnaround when an unfortunate and unprecedented mechanical issue related to some damage from travel forced me to slow down and eventually stop. By the time I was rolling again, I had lost the pack and any hope of salvaging a good performance. In the past, I’ve chosen to finish my races whenever possible out of respect for my competitors. In this case, I was conflicted. The reality is that completing this race would have been a setback, physically, emotionally and financially. I’m not proud to say that I chose to be pragmatic today. I have even more respect for all the finishers!

I'm obviously frustrated to have put so much into this race, but the bottom line is that I’ll leave Kona with a wealth of learning and personal development from my first @ironmantri World Championship. Thank you to everyone who believed in me, supported me, bet on me and sent me messages of concern. I’ll post a video with some more reflection within a couple weeks. For now, I’m off to Maui to take a much-needed break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Hanson:

Another #ironmanworldchampionship in the books. They say that 90% of the battle is getting to the start line healthy...well this year I lost that battle. I came up with an injury about a month ago that meant that there was a very small chance I would be able to run. After a few long chats with @dibbo4 and @bottrillmatthew I decided to try to race. I knew I could get through the swim and bike at the least and take a way a few positives from that. Running through T1 was the first run on solid ground I’ve done since September 8th, and it was definitely unpleasant...so I knew that finishing the race was not going to be an option today.

Obviously, any time you DNF a race, it stings...especially when it is on the worlds biggest stage. But I have had a month of knowing there was very little chance. Thank you so much for all the messages and the support. More updates soon! Congrats to all who finished today!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the main reply I had a question about. How would finishing the race set him (Cody) back financially or physically? Like he trained for this, finish the race man. Cody is the one I don't understand his logic unless he had an injury he is not mentioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because now he can go do a race next weekend and get paid. If he finished he would need to recover from the race before he could train/race again. Not doing a marathon has enabled him to get back at it right now.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay that makes sense. I knew there was a reason. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is usually the reason any pro having a tough day at any IM race with DNF. Live to fight another day (and make money)!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because this way he can easily recover and go race again sooner to win some money. Not that complicated really. Once he's far enough out of contention, there's very little point in finishing, especially if you're considering racing again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

I wish I knew where the info I read/got but I'd always heard that once you have that type of heat stroke/heart issue that forever after that, your body's self governor is more protective of itself. That essentially "heat" issues are going to likely be there for a long time.

(Again it's why I HATE Kona is the only world championships spot year after year....it's a shame really).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 14, 19 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Cody Beals on IG:

A disappointing day at the #IMWC. I was riding in a solid position near the Hawi turnaround when an unfortunate and unprecedented mechanical issue related to some damage from travel forced me to slow down and eventually stop. By the time I was rolling again, I had lost the pack and any hope of salvaging a good performance.

Wonder what went wrong on the bike. Would be interesting to know - just so the rest of us can try avoid it happening to any of us who travel with bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:

Thats all I got.

Lange has a great swim for someone suffering from a fever [/pink]

Perhaps he almost blacked out because it was hot and he was getting dropped like a bad habit and exerted too much just trying to hang onto...anybody.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNFs also by Andi Dreitz, Andi Böcherer and David McNamee, not sure about the reasons though.

Dreitz had a bad crash in Nice and on German television they said that Böcherer had cramps very early on the bike.

Someone more details?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like he trained for this, finish the race man. Cody is the one I don't understand his logic unless he had an injury he is not mentioning. //

Here is your problem, you are overlaying an age group mentality onto the pros, it doesnt fit. Are you one of those guys that goes into a race and says you will finish or die? One of the most absurd and idiotic things I have ever heard, but not an uncommon mindset, as you have so eloquently showed by called out Cody and all the other pros out for not finishing. They made hard but positive decisions in this race, and Cody, I'm proud of you, nothing to be sullen about what so ever...Now go make some money in the next few weeks...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Cody Beals on IG:

A disappointing day at the #IMWC. I was riding in a solid position near the Hawi turnaround when an unfortunate and unprecedented mechanical issue related to some damage from travel forced me to slow down and eventually stop. By the time I was rolling again, I had lost the pack and any hope of salvaging a good performance.

Wonder what went wrong on the bike. Would be interesting to know - just so the rest of us can try avoid it happening to any of us who travel with bikes.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I am guessing Cody will explain more in due time, given his history of transparency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrik Nilsson (FaceBook): "Thank you guys! An ok swim, ok bike even if I had some troubles with cramps, solid first half marathon, then the famous Hawaii got me! Stomach issues, heat and just beaten down going in to the even more famous energy lab.... Even if a DNF sucks, I guess this is one of the most common races to do so. After all I’m ok - the shape is good, I was running around 10th position in a race that didn’t go 100% and just got beaten down by Kona - I’ll be back!"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

I wish I knew where the info I read/got but I'd always heard that once you have that type of heat stroke/heart issue that forever after that, your body's self governor is more protective of itself. That essentially "heat" issues are going to likely be there for a long time.

(Again it's why I HATE Kona is the only world championships spot year after year....it's a shame really).

I suffered horrible heat stroke several years ago and I honestly struggle to race in temps above 25c now.

I live in a place where the average temp is 26c and gets up to 33c at times.

Training in it doesn’t help.

I’d love a link to your article

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/...-2019-edition_384451

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

Thats all I got.

Lange has a great swim for someone suffering from a fever [/pink]

Perhaps he almost blacked out because it was hot and he was getting dropped like a bad habit and exerted too much just trying to hang onto...anybody.
If you watch the podium post race interview Frodeno said he was surprised when Lange was there getting out the water and thought he had to have gone deep. I think he was going deep on the bike as well, got popped and knew his day to be a contender was done. I did like in the interview where it sounded like a German journalist asked Jan do you think you over reacted or felt bad celebrating at the finish line knowing Lange had pulled out. Frodos answer was pure gold. 'Frankly I don't give a shit!'
Quote Reply
Re: Kona DNF list and reasons [Omelette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omelette wrote:
https://www.triathlete.com/2019/10/ironman/kona-dnf-files-2019-edition_384451

I would love to know the story on this one:

Jen Annett
“Absolutely gutted to have my first ever DNF,” Annett wrote on Instagram, “and at the World Championships, to boot.” The Canadian triathlete crashed into a motorcycle early in the bike portion of the race, damaging her wheel and causing several bruises around her body. Despite an attempt to soldier on after procuring a replacement wheel, Annett succumbed to her injuries and pulled out during the run.

It's a triathlon where you aren;t close to anyone. How do you hit a moto or the driver hit you?
Last edited by: jhammond: Oct 14, 19 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next