Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Bound - First IM - Fuel Belt or Not?
Quote | Reply
Last November I signed up for IM Louisville… I admittedly had been out of triathlon for a couple of years as I was going through my divorce and a rough patch. Likewise, when I was at my peak, I was mainly focused on HIMs and IM Louisville will… err… would have been my first full. I of course, put off training until after the holidays… then I received an email in late January stating that I was one of the lucky 40 SOBs that were chosen to go to Kona for the 40 yr anniversary. Being a middle of the pack kind of triathlete, I never saw Kona as a possibility for me… ever… especially after they killed off the lottery. I'm also not built for the long course or at least training year after year. But it still lingered as a fantasy for me. You can debate the logic and wisdom of Ironman giving away slots vs offering them to more qualified athletes… but as they say “anything is possible” ...so I seized the opportunity.

In any case, I’ve been training my ass off for the last 9 months and think that I’m as prepared physically and emotionally as I’m going to be. How you guys do this, I have no idea. It feels like another full time job and I can't wait until it's over. This week I’m focusing on packing lists and getting my crap ready to go. I’m working on my nutrition plan, have tested some things out and I think that I have it nailed down for the bike - disposable bottles, 75 oz of Infinit Go Far + 4 Hammer Gels… 1500 cals. I’ll probably have 2 more bottles in my bike special needs bag. I’ve been using this on the last couple century rides that I did and my stomach tolerated it well and my energy seem good.

The run however, I’m debating whether or not to use a fuel belt. I generally don’t like the extra weight and the one I have sucks. I live in Chicago and on my longer 20+ mile runs, I usually just stop at a corner market in the city or on the lakefront and grab a Gatorade every 5-6 miles or so. I down half and roll on. I also stop for water every 4 miles or so at a drinking fountain. I may run with one Hammer gel and down it half way. I've run on the some the hottest and humid days here which can be brutal and I held up well. For Kona, I was considering on maybe just using on course nutrition and hydration…. or maybe just rolling out of T2 with a Hammer gel flask. I’d have another flask and a bottle of Infinit Go Far in my run special needs bag.

For you Kona vets… what are your thoughts? What other advice or wisdom can you bestow upon a newb?
Last edited by: 00Buckshot: Sep 21, 18 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bound - First IM - Fuel Belt or Not? [00Buckshot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any recommendations for you but wanted to say what a cool story! Congrats and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Let a 3x winner in Kona guide you.....
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bound - First IM - Fuel Belt or Not? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken.

I guess I'm buying a new belt on Amazon tonight and getting comfy with it.

It's kind of funny... I literally Googled images to see what the majority of athletes were wearing on the run. Didn't see many hydration / fuel belts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like having it - instant access to fluids or nutrition is nice. I train with it on every run so I don't even notice it. I suffer in the heat/humidity so even an aid station every mile is still too far in my view.
Good luck!
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try to stick with what available on the course. I have never been to Kona but generally if you hydrate at the aid stations you should be able to make it 1 mile before the next fluid intake.Do bring some salt tabs just in case, but if you stick with cola and an occasional Gatorade/water to liven things up, you should be fine without the belt.

Best of luck on your adventure! Most of us are super jelly, of course :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The carry vs. on course is a personal choice. Just wanted to mention that IMWC special needs is well past half-way down on the NELA Road so you can factor this into your planning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I never have and wouldn't. I carry my specific gels on my run belt tabs and only would carry a fuel belt with flasks if you have a specific energy drink/source you wanted to use. Otherwise I hate having that extra weight and although minimal feels like bulk hanging off you. Find out what is going to be on course and make a decision based on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have never done kona, just spectated a few years ago, and have a few training partners that have done it. one thing to think about is if you use gatorade on the bike because of how much you need to drink it adds up to alot of calories, for some people they live off the gatorade calories alone. 2 bottles per hour is 360 calories per hour. makes it pretty simple. the run why not use the aid stations everyone else does. the thing is it is so long and so hot you can't really carry that much water or gatorade it would only help for a little while, and if you want the belt for food just grab food at the aid station. its a catered training day that what Wurf says at least. easy peasy, oh except its feaking hot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what I saw last year...

You will find aid stations VERY well supplied and staffed with people who have "it" down. So...

You could go either way. If you have a picky stomach and/or a certain supplement that you must have; then, wear your belt. Otherwise you could rely on aid stations or the "special needs" available in the energy lab. Note: I forgot what they call it, but they don't call it special needs. I never use it, but others swear by it.

Have fun.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bound - First IM - Fuel Belt or Not? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Kona in 2004 and put on my fuel belt and didn't end up using it at all. After sitting in my bike to run transition bag in the hot sun all day the contents of the bottles were pretty disgusting...aid stations are fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bound - First IM - Fuel Belt or Not? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I did Kona in 2004 and put on my fuel belt and didn't end up using it at all. After sitting in my bike to run transition bag in the hot sun all day the contents of the bottles were pretty disgusting...aid stations are fantastic.
This. Kona has the world’s longest aid stations, time for multiple handups. I tried a fuel belt once in Kona but my special mix was too hot/disgusting to stomach. So I dumped the belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a Kona vet but I have done 4 IMs with my first using a belt. I find that using the aid stations better. The drinks are not warm like on a belt. You don't have to carry a few extra pounds with it jiggling around. I would focus on staying light and cool and walking the aid stations to get proper nutrition and drinks as well as ice and sponges.

Keep it simple and use the aid stations because I can guarantee by mile 20 the belt will be annoying and you will want nothing of it.

Congratulations and good luck.

Let us know what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like having water with me all the time rather than just at the aid stations, even at Kona. But, I'm not a fan of the little bottles for the traditional fuel belts. I used a waist belt for gels and then a handheld for ice and water. Worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done kona and other hot hot hot IM like Korea / China and I've used a fuel belt in the kona and a camelbak in korea.

The reasons behind this were in korea it was super hot and humid. I froze the camelbak and found it cooling on my back and awesome to sip during the run but it was a pain in the arse the refill. In kona I switched to a fuel belt and found it easy to use, easy to refill. I had a couple of frozen bottles in my T2 bag that melted by the blue church (different course this year). To sum up yes use them in kona but use them in training first as the belt can someitmes rub causing blisters.

The new belts are awesome and super stable.

Good luck and enjoy the big island.
Last edited by: iron snorks: Sep 23, 18 6:59
Quote Reply