Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kohl, doping etc...
Quote | Reply
One day after saying he had done nothing wrong, Kohl said it was pointless to test sample B and that 'the tests were reflecting of facts'...

Silence canceled his contract.

ARD (german TV channel) said it would not show the Tour in 2009.

Tour of Germany is canceled in 2009.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ouch. but at least the germans are making a strong stand. did you see the proposal to have a 4-year ban starting next season? the prospect of having your career end might be a strong move in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny! Is ARD going to fill the time with more Football coverage? We know those guys are clean...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What position did he finish the TDF in,who will get moved up(till they get caught)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One day after saying he had done nothing wrong, Kohl said it was pointless to test sample B and that 'the tests were reflecting of facts'...

Silence canceled his contract.

ARD (german TV channel) said it would not show the Tour in 2009.

Tour of Germany is canceled in 2009.
I like to be a bit more optimistic and say that maybe as a sport cycling is moving past denial and anger, and into bargaining (please, anyone but Rider X testing positive!) and ultimately towards acceptance of what cycling (and triathlon) will be in a post-doping world. Go ahead, call me naive, but I think the evidence suggests that Kohl's positive test and the consequences of it indicate an improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [toolguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Menchov on the podium!
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [toolguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Final" results:
1 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 87.52.52
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0.58
3 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner 1.13
4 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 2.10
5 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Chipotle p/b H30 3.05
6 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 4.28
7 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 6.25
8 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia 6.55
9 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 7.12
10 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale 9.05
11 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale 9.55

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling is the scapegoat of professional sports when it comes to doping...
What is being done by the French authorities, is, in my opinion, very good. However, it is somewhat frustrating to see that only cycling gets hit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is being done by the French authorities, is, in my opinion, very good. However, it is somewhat frustrating to see that only cycling gets hit...
Interesting point. In contrast, American baseball has had many (most?) of its biggest stars labeled as dopers through mountains of direct and circumstantial evidence, yet revenue, TV ratings, and everything else its owners care about is as successful as ever. My local team (Washington) signed a notorious doper this year and when I booed his name at the park folks looked at me like I was from Neptune. The TdF has taken out a significant number of athletes and teams (essentially ended careers) yet the sporting world looks at them negatively, but not baseball.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See Fredly's post...you couldn't be closer to the truth...but German channels will go on showing football...kein problem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling gets bad press from all those involved and also from those within the sport. Adding the word 'Caught' to each story in the media would certainly help the cause.

If the media actually wanted to be positve they could change 'Ricco doped' to 'Ricco CAUGHT doping', Instead or reading 'Ricco doped at the tour', it would read 'Ricco CAUGHT doping at the tour' and so on. That is what the story is actually reporting, it is about the catching of a drug cheat, ye too often it seems to be about the act of cheating not the act of getting caught.

WADA also needs to make a stand and maybe present cycling with an award for thier work in catching cheats, not frown upon the effofts being made. They could also question why no other sports seems to be catching cheats. The IOC as well, should be priasing the one sport which seems to be trying to catch the cheats rather than threatening them with removal fromo the olympics, a great way to send a messgae to the other sports to clean up.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Menchov on the podium!

The sad thing is that Menchov and whoever now wins the KOM (can't remember offhand and can't be bothered to look it up) don't actually get to stand on the podium in front of the crowd and tv. I doubt they'll be celebrating much...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now the whole Tour of Germany has been canceled. That's some serious cause and effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sastre gets the KOM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Menchov on the podium!

The sad thing is that Menchov and whoever now wins the KOM (can't remember offhand and can't be bothered to look it up) don't actually get to stand on the podium in front of the crowd and tv. I doubt they'll be celebrating much...

Although admittedly not as great as the outright win, being told after the fact that I won the KOM because the dude in first was doping would put me over the moon! I would stop everything and throw the biggest party at the closest bar ASAP. I just hope whoever scored the win can still negotiate on next year's contract.

edit: nevermind, sastre gets the KOM too. Meh.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Last edited by: pito00: Oct 16, 08 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm guessing he's not that excited by the news.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. I'm guessing he's not that excited by the news.

Wow, actually that is a pretty nice little bonus. Gotta go back to 1970, Merckx, to find someone who one both. Nice to have on your record, especially for someone nearing end of his career. Multiple jersey winners are rare these days (except for Contador last year who also won white, but that is a bit different -- Ulrich also did the same). Otherwise you gotta go back to 79 for Hinault, to find a yellow/green, then Merckx in 71 and 72 for yellow/green. Merckx won yellow, green, and polka dot in 69.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think any competition where it's human against the clock (and other competitors) like cycling, athletics and swimming will always be at the forefront of doping scrutiny. For some reason team ball sports don't attract the same attention. Maybe the public feels that the skill level required to catch, throw or hit a ball aren't influenced by doping. That the person that dopes to run the 100m faster is a cheat because it's man against man. In a team environment it's ok because he is part of the whole and not an individual.

It's amazing what crimes we allow when part of a "team". War for example. Kill someone as a solider and it's doing your duty. Do that as an individual and end up in the electric chair.

(BTW I do realize that the doped football player runs faster because of dope thereby making him a more "skilled" player)

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Scapegoat? Hardly! Wrong use of the word.
Last edited by: aerobike: Oct 16, 08 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [namaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I've been saying the same thing for quite awhile now. It's not just about the money. The nature of the competition has a lot to do with it. Athletes involved in a competition where there is a winner who is supposed to be stronger, faster, throw farther, etc..than everyone else will be judged the most harshly with respect to PEDs. I think it's because there is a more obvious correlation between drug use and victory.

In a team ball sport, it's much easier to separate the two. It's easy to say, "Well, if so-and-so hadn't been using steroids, he might have 20 fewer tackles this season, which might have allowed the opponents a few more points, which might have cost the team a game, which could have kept them out of the playoffs."

The only time people really care about PEDs in any of the ball sports is when they see something concrete, like individual home run records being broken in baseball.
Last edited by: jaylew: Oct 16, 08 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Not if you know that there are several meanings to the word, one being 'one that is the object of irrational hostility'...which applies perfectly well. At least, if you have a good grasp of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Not if you know that there are several meanings to the word, one being 'one that is the object of irrational hostility'...which applies perfectly well. At least, if you have a good grasp of English.
That is precisely the definition to which I was referring. If the hostility toward cycling is not rational, then I don't what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Kohl, doping etc... [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's irrational when compared to how other sports are treated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So who is Silence-Lotto going to hire to help Cadel up the mountains. Poor Evans finally gets a climber and he is juiced.
Quote Reply

Prev Next