Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knot in back....help pls
Quote | Reply
Maybe someone has had this and can help.

A week ago I developed a knot while swimming. It has slowly migrated to the area between my arm and my shoulder blade (upper back) and it basically "pulls" pulls on my tricep. I've been taking it easy obviously and not swimming which for now isn't a big deal. I am 5 weeks out from Eagleman, so the stress/timing of this thing isn't helping.

I regularly go to the chiro and have upped my visits. I had a massage last weekend. I've been stretching/icing/heat/ibuprofening. I have also been using the Theragun on it. In addition I went to one session with a holistic guy on Weds who did the cupping and some accupuncture (and go back today).

Anything I am missing? Any hints.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Knot in back....help pls [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one person's experience. I'm no expert. Stretch everything else. Stretching my chest alleviated muscle pain and tightness in my upper back. I *think* that, for the 23 hours a day out of the pool, tightness in complementary muscles stressed muscles in my back.

Hamstrings and quads, for me, are the same. Sore hammies actually mean my quads need loosening.

I know you said you're stretching, so you may already be doing this. Just thought I'd offer my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn’t a knot per se. You are experiencing traditional neck related problem. And you’re describing a common referral pattern from the neck (regardless of whether or not you actually have any pain in the neck). Massage, stretching, theragun etc won’t help and may worsen your situation depending on what you do. The origin of your problem is overwhelmingly likely to be your neck. My bias is for you to see a McKenzie credentialed physical therapist. You can get this resolved in a couple of visits. Make the appointment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is that you have nerve impingement in the cervical vertebrae, perhaps upper thoracic.
Ask an orthopedist to ch close it out. X-ray, then MRI to confirm.
And be aware when getting any medical advice on-line , especially from me.
But this is my experience.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply stated - Your chiropractor should be able to diagnose and treat this issue. If this is not the case you should consider finding a different practitioner. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Knot in back....help pls [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.

The chiro is definitely working on it.

My impatience and stress over my A race being 5 weeks away is definitely not helping.

I did go to a regular doctor yesterday (the chiro recommended it shockingly bc she can sense my misery). I did start on a short bout of Prednisone which will hopefully loosen things up a bit.

Again... impatience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/...4087067785&psc=1

see you in eagleman!
Last edited by: dgutstadt: May 6, 21 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: Knot in back....help pls [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, this book helped me tremendously. I always think about it when I see posts like this, but I always hesitate to recommend it for some reason.

Awesome read. Changed my life and the way I view physical pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'd go to a proper qualified physiotherapist instead of a chiropractor or "holistic guy" for starters.
If you've got a legitimate physical health issue, go to a legitimate physical health professional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the impatience totally. Maybe a PT - ultrasound or laser thingie?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Knot in back....help pls [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Headed there today. Had that done as well two days ago.
Thx
Quote Reply