Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee popping
Quote | Reply
Hello ST...formerly running2far but don't use the old email and couldn't remember password.

I had hip labrum repair and bone shaving in October of 2016 and for the most part am recovered (still have a flare up here and there) but the last year or so my knee (same side as hip surgery) has really started driving me crazy. I don't experience acute pain during running at all, but the two or three days after running (any distance) I will experience an uncomfortable popping/snapping type sensation when bending my knee (cycling and putting on pants as an example) and the knee (mainly soft tissue in back) will be slight sore and sometimes so stiff in the morning I can bend it at all (rare).
The popping feels 'inside the knee' and also near the ITB band. So two places. It freaks me out to the point I just stopped running/cycling.

Anyone experience this? I will be getting an MRI at some point this summer/fall in the hopes of returning to a casual runner (retired from racing).

thanks all!

PS - If you saw a couple of dudes in rompers and wigs at IM Boulder that was me!
Quote Reply
Re: Knee popping [laste_rounde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be related to the hamstrings or ITB tightness. Have you tried rolling it out?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Knee popping [laste_rounde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely just a little stiffness of the soft tissues surrounding the patella. Get a consult on how to mobilize some of that tissue and that will likely take care of it. It's common with runners...skip the MRI, probably not worth the time and cost.

Other area to consider.......stride rate is too low causing increased compressive force to the patellar area. Slightly increase your stride rate to see if that helps

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Last edited by: PTinAZ: Jun 21, 19 4:18
Quote Reply
Re: Knee popping [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points, I would also look at hamstring tightness/ strength, hip flexor activation as well as glute strength/ activation. All can be factors.

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Re: Knee popping [tri_big_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wrapped up 6 weeks of PT after visiting my knee dr.

1st visit at PT, on the table my right leg was over an inch shorter than the left (hip was all jacked up). Very limited hip mobility. Appeared to be hamstring tendons snapping, could stopped it with hand pressure by the PT. Focused on calf tightness and soft tissue massage around the back of the knee to reduce the pain.

Once the knee pain was gone, focused on my hip. psoas & iliacus releases along with the usual glute & QL releases.

I'm now pain free. Using a product called pso-rite now to treat at home.

Edited to add: I ended up waiting too long to get to a dr and ended up with acute pain and one day couldn't even walk to work (1 mile). In the mornings, I couldn't straighten my leg it was so stiff.
Last edited by: laste_rounde: Sep 20, 19 7:58
Quote Reply