Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee over cleat?
Quote | Reply
Okay, bear with me on this and I'll try to explain what I am getting at. If you need more information, let me know.

I have relied on my trusty LBS to fit me on my road bike and have been extremely comfortable with the fit. Never gave a lot of thought on the angles, lengths, etc. when they were setting me up. My mistake, I should have been asking a billion questions. That said, I do know that my set up on my road bike has my knee pretty much right over my cleat.

Question #1 - When setting up my tri bike, should the relationship between my knee and my cleat be roughly the same?

Question #2 - If the answer is no, what is the difference?

I ask because I just went through the process of trying to set up my new Titanflex tri bike, which is now being replaced due to fitting issues. When I kept the knee to cleat relationship on the Titanflex close to that on my road bike, I was way too stretched out, to the point that an almost nonexistent stem would not have remedied the situation. To get the cockpit the correct length I had to position myself well forward of the road bike position, which led to a loss in power on climbs, some knee pain when pedaling, and an uncomfortable amount of weight on the front end due to rotating my whole body forward in relation to the bottom bracket.

Tom at Titanflex is doing everything he can to make this work, but I am simply looking for some general comments regarding positions. Again, please let me know if you need additional info to answer the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee over cleat? [switchtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answer to question 1 - NO!

The tri position, especially that espoused by Slowman, is rotating your whole bodyforward in relation to the bottom bracket. KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) goes completely out the window (it's not absolute for road bikes either but is a reasonable starting point). The power comes back as you get used to riding in the position (maybe not all of it but the better aerodynamics more than balance it out). You get used to the weight on the front and it shouldn't screw up the handling on a well-designed and fitted tri bike. Knee pain is usually more to do with saddle height. You may need easier gearing so that you can spin up hills as low cadence mashing is not a good idea in the tri position.

Go read all the articles on fit on the main website, all of this is covered rather better than my summary.

All that and I wasn't rude about your titanflex or call you a giraffe once! D'oh!

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Knee over cleat? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can be rude about the titanflex when I finally have it set up and post a pic!
Quote Reply
Re: Knee over cleat? [switchtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh heh...I don't think they're exactly pretty but there are people on here who will give you a much harder time than I will (unless it has dimpled tires...).

Seriously, put some time into reading the fit stuff on the main site as it sounds like you haven't been approaching the fit in the ST approved FIST style so you should see things a bit differently afterwards.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply