Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Season: Keep 'em warm please!
Quote | Reply
It's "knee season" here in Michigan, and this is the opening weekend. It will be about 55-60 degrees here this weekend so there will be people out trying to ride in shorts and doing a few more miles than maybe they should. That means on Monday we will be getting a lot of fit appointments and calls from people saying "My knees really hurt". Some of them will do their entire last months mileage over the span of the next two days. So please keep this in mind:

1. Accumulate mileage gradually and be sure your position is right.
2. Keep your knees warm, warm, warm! Wear tights, leg warmers or knee warmers below 70 degrees (OTC rules for resident athletes!). Use hot cream such as Body Glide Warm FX to keep joints warm.
3. Remember, those pros you see at Het Volk and Paris Roubaix riding in 40 degree weather in the rain have thick layers of hot cream and "weather sheild" on their legs as well as thousands of base miles. And their knees hurt too!

Take care of your knees, and your knees will take care of you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Season: Keep 'em warm please! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Spring riding! I slather my legs in Dul-X before the group ride and everyone keeps sniffing and saying "what the hell is that awful smell?" But I am toasty like...well, toast! Warming cream rules. Just don't wipe your eyes with it on your hands. :)

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about wearing my new Ironman Stealth Wetsuit on my ride this weekend....that should keep me good and warm and the extra padding...I am gonna be toasty...no sore knees for me!

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"
Quote Reply
knicker season [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After I read the early-season errors story on your site I bought some knickers to cover my knees. I've worn them or leg warmers on every ride since. You have done Sugoi and Pearl Izumi a great service.

Last weekend in the early-morning darkness I grabbed the wrong article of clothing from my drawer -- actually put on non-padded running capris instead of my new favorite cycling knickers. Didn't notice it until well into my ride, and overall it didn't make much difference. Maybe I should write Terry to tell them how much I learned to appreciate their saddle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that 65 and above is ok as long as it isn't too windy and there is no chance of rain. 65-70 isn't really that much of a difference though.

tommy
Quote Reply