Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Bursitis and Running
Quote | Reply
Around a month ago I took a fall at work and hit the inside of my knee pretty badly. There was some swelling, not really any bruising, and I figured it would be sore/stiff for a few days.

Well, 5 weeks later and it is still bad and very limiting to my running. At first, I was still able to do 3 short runs a week (the pain would easy through the runs, then the next morning would feel stiff again) and one medium distance run on the weekends. I was able to manage this with ibuprofen for around 3 weeks until one morning I went to run and the pain had become quite a bit stronger and would not subside.

I have tried ibuprofen for a week, icing, I had an x-ray to make sure I hadn't broken anything, and recently a physio has told me the fall inflamed the bursa around my knee, which is what is giving me the issue. She gave me some exercises to do, told me to rest, and sent me on my way for a couple of weeks before re-assessment.

Anyone else deal with this? How much rest does this take to heal? At 5 weeks it has proven to be pretty stubborn and I'm getting antsy (and losing run fitness!)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Bursitis and Running [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My knee bursitis is overtraining related, not trauma. Still, it's my Pez bursa, which is the medical side. Nothing helps once it hurts. Rest, stretch, you name it and I tried it. Finally got a cortisone shot. Fixed. Highly recommended. Now, as I'm ramping up intensity and distance, I ice my knee after every run. Before trouble sets in. Has worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Bursitis and Running [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I've never had it before, so this is new territory for me. Will definitely look in to the cortisone shot if it doesn't get better with physio, ice and rest.

I'm about due for a steroid injection in my shoulder for a rotator cuff injury, might as well get the knee poked too!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply