Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Brace - ACL Reconstruction
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations / experiences with Donjoy Defiance, A22, GRD Biomechanics or the like? Going in for my third ACL reconstruction in 11 years next week on the right knee (first 2 surgeries were allograft, this time going with patella tendon autograft) and figure it’s time to invest in a high end brace. Note - I’ve used the Bauerfiend GenuTrain but am not a fan of it for any runs Over an hour. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Brace - ACL Reconstruction [nsarris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't run for long in a Donjoy Def.. I got mine for snowboarding mainly.

I keep run under 10k nowadays and just wear something simple.. like :
Donjoy OA reaction

I have an OSSUR unloader one light.. but it's a little harder to run in
Last edited by: KKG: Jul 19, 20 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the brace for running in general or other sports with some lateral movement?

I’ve had 3 ACL’s done. No brace after I stopped lateral motion sports. Straight on running is fine- no brace.

Realize we are all different though.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you running in a brace, or trying to? My surgeon told me that so long as I'm running in a straight line, a brace is not needed. (Knock on wood) It's been 6 years now, and over 8k miles, but so far, so good! Sure, it gets sore at times, but nothing where I need a brace to run.

My brace is purely for skiing (I wear it for other sports when/if I am playong them, but it's primarily skiing). Lemme go look yo see what it is, but I love mine! I never even realize I have it on while skiing...

Ossur. Complete custom fit, digitally scanned my leg and (I presume) addatively manufactured off those scans. Lifetime guarantee, to the point where if my leg changes size ever, either larger or smaller, they will make the changes or re-pop one for me. So they say... details and what-not.

But, I have to say, that is easily the best $1100? $1300? can't remember exactly, but the best money I've spent on damn near anything! It really is only a piece-of-mind type of thing, but it does work *really* well: I teach adaptive skiing and got tangled with a participant this past season, and it held up perfect! And not the first time I was really happy to have it on!

I'm sure other brands have similar success, but I love what I have! Good luck!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nsarris wrote:
Any recommendations / experiences with Donjoy Defiance, A22, GRD Biomechanics or the like? Going in for my third ACL reconstruction in 11 years next week on the right knee (first 2 surgeries were allograft, this time going with patella tendon autograft) and figure it’s time to invest in a high end brace. Note - I’ve used the Bauerfiend GenuTrain but am not a fan of it for any runs Over an hour. Thanks in advance.

Unless you plan on playing basketball or a sport where you twist & turn, you shouldn't need a brace. I used one for a while playing AFL for a few my first few games back & also when skiing, but for running? No.

Just don't do anything too early after the op.

I had the patella graft too.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Brace - ACL Reconstruction [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
nsarris wrote:

Unless you plan on playing basketball or a sport where you twist & turn, you shouldn't need a brace. I used one for a while playing AFL for a few my first few games back & also when skiing, but for running? No.

Just don't do anything too early after the op.

I had the patella graft too.

This is my experience also. I was at a point where I didn't need a brace to play basketball or ski, but tweaked my knee doing a kick turn backcountry skiing so now I wear a Donjoy to ski (I gave up basketball because I suck). I don't think I ever wore one for running, it's the lateral movement you need it for.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Brace - ACL Reconstruction [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This last rupture occurred moving laterally during a trail run, which is why I’m considering a brace for running and also possibly for surfing as that’s how the second rupture occurred. First rupture was playing basketball, which I totally suck at and had no problem never playing again! Or maybe the answer is to never move sideways again...
Quote Reply