Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kiwi Race Promoter found Guilty
Quote | Reply
This week a Kiwi Bike Race promoter was found guilty of being a bad person and this lead to the death of a cyclist during a race last year.

Now I don't know all the details but what follows is my (mis?) understanding of what happened.

Race promoter puts on race and declares that "Summit Road is closed for this race". Note that the whole course was not closed and no-one said it was closed. The road was apparently closed so the organizers could check riders were actually registered! Fair enough I say.

Woman in relay team rides along Summit road and then off summit road and on to another road. At a blind corner, she passes several other cyclists and into the path of a legally oncoming car!. Woman dies. Bugger.

Dead relay woman is not confirmed as ever having heard race announcement. Family of course says she wouldn't have been on wrong side of road if she klnew it wasn't closed. Amazing that dead people all seem to be law abiding angels.

I've never met the dead woman, the race promoter or whatever. I'm sorry she died. Who's fault is it? I don't think the race director. I think the Judge screwed up. Bummer for bike racing in NZ.

When I do races, I occassionally break the rules. For example the race director many times will say. "This is not a closed course, do not cross the centreline of the road". In this case, since the road isn't closed, I believe the normal road rules apply. This means I am allowed to cross the centreline to pass slower vehicles (bikes and/or cars) when it is safe to do so. In one big bike ride here in New Zealand there are 7000 entrants starting in about 4 big waves. I pass people where it is safe to pass. I think that the first 25 miles is closed so I can stay on the wrong side of the road if necessary. Quite often there are medical cars coming the other way, slowly. I look for them and avoid as necessary. After the 25 miles there are still so many cyclists we illegally hog the road. Oncoming traffic has to avoid us (out of courtesy I guess) and everyone seems to get along fine. When the bunch spreads out, I also occassionally pass on the wrong side of the road, but only when the way is clear.

Near the end of the race one year, the last downhill was choked with riders and I was doing over 55mph, passing other wussy braking cyclists, in the opposing lane. When I could see cars coming towards me I would brake and get back on the correct side of the road. When the way cleared I would check over my shoulder for other downhill demons and pull out and start passing again. Good fun, legal and safe.

I wouldn't go on the wrong side of the road on a blind curve to pass, road closed or not. The risk/reward ratio is all wrong.

What do you good people think?

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwi Race Promoter found Guilty [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend in NZ made the comment that the judge got it right in this case. He didn't really expound on the reasons, but this is another RD himself and pretty tuned in to what is going on.

>>In one big bike ride here in New Zealand there are 7000 entrants<<

Is this Round the Lake? That's on my list to do someday.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwi Race Promoter found Guilty [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes 7000 (expected this year) is Round Taupo.

Excellent event. Bastard of a course. First year I did it I naively expected a scenic jaunt around the lake with constant water views and native bush on the other side.

Oops. Like so many times in my life I was very wrong.

Course starts at less than 1 mile from start with 1/2 mile long 12% hill! just to warm up the legs. This is followed by about 6 miles of false flat, Then comes rolling hills. Not Kansas rolling hills, but Kiwi rolling hills. (No lake views!) then rolling twisting hilly rough roads for about 40miles.

At about half way, a distance glimpse of alleged lake.....then a mother of a hill. Not tooooo steep but long. Followed by? More rolling hills. Finally a long descent to lake level only to be greeted by incredibly rough road surface and exposed to any wind. Sidle around lake and hydrate and feed for long "Hatepe hill". About 2 miles long and 12-15%. Far out. Lots of riders cramp or fall off at this stage. Then a long gentle down hill about 6 miles with a steep drop (55-60mph!). Then the famed Airport hill about 4 miles from the finish. In a car you probably wouldn't even notice it, but at 96 miles ya notice it let me tell you. Finally a deceptively looping finish (past the finish aand double back!) and you're done.

Record is 3 hours 54 minutes I think. A friend has done 3:57 and the best in our office is 4:19. I've finished my 3 starts, all just under 5:30. I was on pace for sub 5 hours once until i flatted then cramped getting off the bike.

Come and do our lovely race and you will know you've been for a ride.

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What do you good people think?

Well, I think the problem in most of these "legal" issues is that people offer opinions without knowing what the heck they are talking about. Most of these opinions are relayed through media that at best "filters" the information we get. So, unless someone knows all facts, the "what do you think" isn't really worth too much.

Unfortunately, the US legal system takes a lot of kicks from folks who really don't know what they are really talking about, and the media reports the .0001% of the stories that are simply glamour stories. This is unfortunate.

-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I've ridden part of the course and run airport hill (twice) and driven probably most of the course. (Four trips in 3 years to Taupo.) What's crazy are the folks who do it TWICE! Yes, it's definitely on my list.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwi Race Promoter found Guilty [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

Yeah, Hooksie did make the observation that the RD concerned basically got what she deserved. What we have seen in the media here is that poor humble RD got pilloried by nasty police/judicial system, which is in fact bollocks. The course was not closed, she told people it was at the briefing. End of story. Was it silly to be on the other side of the road? Probably, but as TD has pointed out, we've all done it on mass rides.

You know how tough our safety laws are here, and thats a good thing.

And as for the Taupo ride, TD is right, its a bitch, and Hatepe Hill has seen many a good cyclist walking.

nige
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwi Race Promoter found Guilty [triboynz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to video of race briefing, RD apparently only said "Summit Rd closed". Not "Course closed"

As far as I know, woman wasn't on Summit Rd but I can't guarantee that.

TriDork

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Round Taupo a few years back - it was a lot of fun and was the longest ride I had ever done at that stage. Having driven Wellington-Auckland lots of times I knew the Eastern side of the lake but was surprised by the hills on the Western side.

Great descent down to the lake at the south and then the looooonnnnnnnggggg ride back up the eastern side.

Definitely would do it again. Managed to make it in about 5:30 also and will be keen to see how I would fare now
Quote Reply