Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
(not illegal rotating pacers)

OK, what if...

find a pacer who can get them to 10km, but then eases off for a bunch of laps to recover, gets lapped a few times, but then picks it up again to pace them for the last 10km. While this first pacer is taking it easier, a second pacer has picked it up to lead them for the 2nd 10km (while taking it easy and getting lapped in the first 10km)

Is that legal? If getting lapped and staying in the race is legal then they can have just about any set of pacers.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
jhammond wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Can’t imagine there won’t be a live stream. I hate that it’s a really short loop course.

It's probably all they could guarantee to be secure, especially given the hard no spectators rule

I imagine they'll run around the lake which would be a little over a mile. Anything other than the lake perimeter is going to be longer obviously. It's a lovely park, hopefully they've been able to maintain it. When I lived in London I loved running in those parks. I think it could be a good course.

There is a race in the UK that is mile laps up and down a pier. I've always thought that was an interesting setup knowing exactly where you are on a dead flat course and never being far from your drink. For me less than a mile and it starts getting too short but a mile is fine, IMHO.

I love that loop around the lake in St. James park for intervals (that and Green Park) when I have had layovers or biz in London. It's almost going to be like a 'track' marathon for this. Will they stay exclusively in the park or will the loop go onto the Mall to get the Buckingham Palace backdrop? Seems like you need that backdrop to one up the Brandenburg Gate backdrop where these guys set their world records.

Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, what if...

find a pacer who can get them to 10km, but then eases off for a bunch of laps to recover, gets lapped a few times, but then picks it up again to pace them for the last 10km. While this first pacer is taking it easier, a second pacer has picked it up to lead them for the 2nd 10km (while taking it easy and getting lapped in the first 10km)

Is that legal? If getting lapped and staying in the race is legal then they can have just about any set of pacers.

I believe in road racing and track there is no issue with someone lapped getting back in the game! Seems like a totally legit strategy....maybe this has been the story all along to get around the pacer issue but they are not disclosing it until it happens!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is false in track. A lapped runner cannot assist. This happened in 1992 Barcelona 10K on the track with collusion between Moroccans and DQed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Think the best Bet is to have a couple If pacers in good shape running close 1/2 WR, and keep them going under 2hr pace until they blow up and let the two help each other. The main problem being that neither of them want to help the other become the legend. Lets say bekele wins with 1:59:something, How much money Will it take to get kipchoge To agree with that? Unless he’ll actually beat the time at one point, he’ll just ve a foot note, where the other Will be the Living Legend. They’re have to decided it during the run, as to whom is to go sub 2 and the financial benefit to being the “loser” has to be much greater than the one with the honour.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, what if...

ZERO PACERS

thanks.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, what if...

ZERO PACERS

thanks.

Normal pacers are OK....the guys who go redline from the gun and then drop off the bat and jog it in. But the question was if a guy gets lapped can he get back and pace. Kny says the lapped runner in track cannot interfere with the race. As this would be under IAAF rules, I assume same thing applies on a road course. Kny, please confirm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A true head to head race would have zero pacers. I want to see these two dudes go mano y mano by themselves. Otherwise it's dumb for me. They don't get pacers in the Olympics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, what if...

ZERO PACERS

thanks.

Normal pacers are OK....the guys who go redline from the gun and then drop off the bat and jog it in. But the question was if a guy gets lapped can he get back and pace. Kny says the lapped runner in track cannot interfere with the race. As this would be under IAAF rules, I assume same thing applies on a road course. Kny, please confirm.

As far as I know, anyone still in the race, are allowed to run their own pace, even un-lap themselves and eventually win. So, if someone’s lapped and Picks up the pace, wether it’s to act as a pacer or not, should Be allowed to do so, unless rulles state you’re pulled out when lapped. Then there’s going to be the discussion about being lapped, does that mean over taken?
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
A true head to head race would have zero pacers. I want to see these two dudes go mano y mano by themselves. Otherwise it's dumb for me. They don't get pacers in the Olympics.

Yes, but they get pacers in Berlin, London, New York, Tokyo....and many other world marathons besides the world marathon majors. Its part of marathon running because the fields are never really as deep as in track. With no pacers who are paid ot hold a high pace to a certain point, it would be pretty lonely in most races. The only way those pacers subvert any payday for a slower race is getting paid for an overall slower race, but a higher front end. Most of the marathoners who end up being pacers are insanely fast in their own right. Its partially why the Olympic marathon is always 'slow' (well besides being run in mid summer in the northern hemisphere). They are racing mano mano which implicitly means slower times at the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then it's not a real head to head race for me. Those races can have their rules, but how often do you get a head to head these days in the Men's field? True races are clearly only at the Olympics for the Marathon or at Marathon trials for the countries that select via trials.

Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where we can get a live stream overseas?

Bummer that Bekele is out!

https://www.bbc.com/...t/athletics/54386016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VPN mate.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...I got Liege Bastogne Liege and Giro Stage 2 going on at the same time too!!!

I found this link for anyone interested:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/...-coverage/index.html

With Bekele out, the head to head is less compelling now but will try to get into this.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less exciting than I had hoped. With Bekele out to start and then Kipchoge going for some jogging in 2:06 in 8th place:

https://www.runnersworld.com/...rathon-2020-results/

Probably no racing along the way really hurts the pointy end for these guys (plus mindset....or maybe many overtrained people because they are on a continuous build with no races in between to rest up for)
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 4, 20 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Yes, but they get pacers in Berlin, London, New York, Tokyo....and many other world marathons besides the world marathon majors. Its part of marathon running because the fields are never really as deep as in track. With no pacers who are paid ot hold a high pace to a certain point, it would be pretty lonely in most races. The only way those pacers subvert any payday for a slower race is getting paid for an overall slower race, but a higher front end. Most of the marathoners who end up being pacers are insanely fast in their own right. Its partially why the Olympic marathon is always 'slow' (well besides being run in mid summer in the northern hemisphere). They are racing mano mano which implicitly means slower times at the marathon.

The more observant amongst you would have seen that one of the pacers today was none other than Sir Mo Farah.

It’s also worth noting that everyone at the front had the same footwear..... apart from Kipchoge.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Oct 4, 20 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I noticed the shoes. I assumed Kipchoge’s were just a personalised model.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [Herdwickmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! He was -700 to win what a Buster Douglas level upset! Even the best have off days.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

The more observant amongst you would have seen that one of the pacers today was none other than Sir Mo Farah.

It’s also worth noting that everyone at the front had the same footwear..... apart from Kipchoge.

I would hazard that most of us were asleep. (I'll watch the replay) I think I've started to do some in depth thinking on pacers. If pros can have them, so should amateurs. In general, pacers for the pro degrades the actual race itself. But with that, interesting Kipchoge was dusted like that.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 4, 20 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are pacers for amateurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

I would hazard that most of us were asleep. (I'll watch the replay) I think I've started to do some in depth thinking on pacers. If pros can have them, so should amateurs. In general, pacers for the pro degrades the actual race itself. But with that, interesting Kipchoge was dusted like that.

No doubt your in depth thinking has already covered this but how are you defining a pace maker?

As mike s says one runner can set the pace for another runner, pro or amateur. What you will sometimes see called out is someone who is not actually entered in the race pace make for someone. That isn't allowed because of congestion and other things but people who are actually in the race can do it. At least partly because it would be hard to stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm specifically talking about some of these Marathon Majors that allow rotating pacers. I understand quite well that you can have a de facto pacer if the person is registered in the race. It's not actual mano y mano racing when you have a ton of pacers. The tactics completely change. It also makes for a rancid broadcast product.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotating like they did in the sub 2 runs? I haven't seen that outside those races or rotating like taking turns but still running the race from the beginning?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kipchoge posted on social media that he slowed because of a "blocked ear". Not really sure what that means. Does that mean it screws with his balance so he needed to slow down or is that just like water in the ear feeling. A very weird issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, that's a "thing" I suppose. https://www.healthyhearing.com/...my-ears-feel-clogged

But basically if you're probably trying to smash a marathon and you have this feeling you may have what feel like episodes of vertigo? idk that's just my googleMD thing.

Quote Reply

Prev Next