Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kienle Training Video
Quote | Reply
Interesting video from Kienle coming into Nice 70.3 WC. Around 5:30 he starts talking about his bike decisions. He was actually contemplating riding an aero road over is TT. Stripping the paint (or just not having it painted) to save extra weight, no top tube bento, changing up his front hydration. Also, seems like he isn't going with a disc in the back.

Sorry don't know how to embed video

Figured out how to embed!
Last edited by: FuzzyRunner: Aug 25, 19 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting!

Hope his ankle heels up fast and doesn’t slow home down any for Nice or Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He just knows how to make for good viewing! I have been a big fan of his and I’m liking his chances this year. Easily at 70.3 he’s at the favorites, but I also think for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biking hard af. Calls his race off 1 mile into the run. No point in trying to hold off Brownlee or Gomez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saving 180g by stripping the paint. And another. 120g with no bento. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he say that he was able to save almost 2 kilos total?

Will be interesting to see this stealth build... weight weenie nude carbon 1x Scott TT .... which wheels and brakes? Did they consult BMANX?
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Aug 26, 19 3:10
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, no flat kit, bento, swapping aero bottle for BTA and no paint. A "special project" for a lighter seatpost and saddle but I assume biggest weight advantage (loss) is not running the disc. Would love to see a write-up afterwards about the bike.

Also, are the tires he is talking about the ones Dan wrote about on the front page article or is this another separate tire? He was running Pro One TT's for Frankfurt but he mentioned running a heavier (more puncture resistant) tire for Nice which I assume would be the regular Pro One. Maybe Dan can confirm?
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK that comment was funny SH!T. I needed that laugh this morning. I was hoping that they would show the bike but I can see the weight savings. I am not sure about all of his choices but it will be interesting to see it. I would bet that his rear wheel is most likely the same weight as a disc that he would have access or could access. I know my rear wheel is 720g and when I add my disc cover it jumps up to 900g which is nice and light for a fake disc.

Just watched the video that was posted on ST about his upgrades this year. While the blip box is smaller this year, he did have it hidden in his bento so not sure where he will place this now.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 26, 19 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running Conti TT which are about 150g-160g and light latex which are about 57g so the weight for tire and tube are just about 200g or the weight of most peoples tire only. Never had an issue ever in a race or training ride. Love how they feel and the Crr is low on this combination I believe.

I think with is last issues he should be going back to tire/tube but also understand he is being paid to run tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chance of getting a flat with tubeless is quite a bit lower. He got a flat earlier this year but due to the sealant he was able to finish the course with reduced pressure. If you were to add sealant to your Conti TT/Latex combo (Which is the exact combo I also use myself with little issue) the weight would be higher. I am intrigued by the whole tubeless trend though.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never use sealant so weight is low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Correct, no flat kit, bento, swapping aero bottle for BTA and no paint. A "special project" for a lighter seatpost and saddle but I assume biggest weight advantage (loss) is not running the disc. Would love to see a write-up afterwards about the bike.

Also, are the tires he is talking about the ones Dan wrote about on the front page article or is this another separate tire? He was running Pro One TT's for Frankfurt but he mentioned running a heavier (more puncture resistant) tire for Nice which I assume would be the regular Pro One. Maybe Dan can confirm?

i haven't asked him, but i would suspect it's just a Pro One. there's a breaker in the Pro One that's missing in the TT. you can see these protection belts here. the Pro One has a V Guard breaker. i don't know what is used in the TT except that the V Guard was a casualty of the weight saving construction. unless they gave him a prototype, it would be the Pro One.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I understand that and your chance of a flat is significantly higher than that of tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think his answer to the flat in Frankfurt is going with a thicker/heavier tubeless instead of reverting back to tubed. In Dan's article he mentions (only hearsay) that Kienle put out about the same power after the flat as before so the sealing ability of the tubeless worked as needed. If that is true then it doesn't surprise me that he sticks with tubeless. Especially if he is ditching a spare/flat kit. To me it makes sense, if he completely flats then his race is over. If the tire can seal and allow him to at least make it to T2 without stopping, he still has a chance to compete (all other things being equal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I am not sold on tubeless yet but maybe in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick Lange flatted with the same tyres in Frankfurt and his race was over. So 2/2 flats is not that great for a tyre!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Correct, no flat kit, bento, swapping aero bottle for BTA and no paint. A "special project" for a lighter seatpost and saddle but I assume biggest weight advantage (loss) is not running the disc.

He stated directly in the video that most of the weight savings is from not using the disc wheel.

As far as the paint: I really hope he doesn’t carry 6 fl. oz. more water than he needs on the bike (or consume 6 fl. oz. more water before the race. That would cancel out the 180g weight savings from the paint stripping!
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
Patrick Lange flatted with the same tyres in Frankfurt and his race was over. So 2/2 flats is not that great for a tyre!

i think there may be more to the story you bring up. a learning curve about which sealants to use with that particular tire.

about 3 dozen of us tried very hard to flat these tires, road tires, both on pavement and gravel, and were unable to get the things to go flat on us. i'm not worried about this tire. however, *this* tire, in my case, is the Pro One. the Pro One TT, that's Kienle's tire of choice. i have no experience with that tire, so, i can't say.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which sealant did you use with the tire?
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:

i believe it was schwalbe doc blue sealant. but stans would have been equally good, and orange seal is fine. i've successfully used effetto mariposa in a lot of tires. but in this tire, just go stans or orange seal if you have either lying around. i believe stans makes schwalbe's sealant.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Nazgul350r wrote:

i believe it was schwalbe doc blue sealant. but stans would have been equally good, and orange seal is fine. i've successfully used effetto mariposa in a lot of tires. but in this tire, just go stans or orange seal if you have either lying around. i believe stans makes schwalbe's sealant.

Thanks, I hadn't seen the article yet, you have them listed in there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Testrider wrote:

i think there may be more to the story you bring up. a learning curve about which sealants to use with that particular tire.

about 3 dozen of us tried very hard to flat these tires, road tires, both on pavement and gravel, and were unable to get the things to go flat on us. i'm not worried about this tire. however, *this* tire, in my case, is the Pro One. the Pro One TT, that's Kienle's tire of choice. i have no experience with that tire, so, i can't say.

Doesnt he say in the interview the tyre he will be using in nice is a prototype and will be commercially available soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:

He seemed to be pretty relaxed on that "issue" as it relieved him from pushing hard. So, who knows if he could not have fixed it quicker or easier and still be racing - if he wanted to. I am actually curious to see if Lange will be in the mix for the win in Nice. He is lightweight, so big plus for him. But don't know how his descenting skills are and if he can run much faster than 1:12...
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Testrider wrote:

Doesnt he say in the interview the tyre he will be using in nice is a prototype and will be commercially available soon?

i haven't seen the video. but that would be consistent with any of the new Pro One or Pro One TT just reviewed. they probably aren't available as of now, but they will be soon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Training Video [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except all of the weight saving is for naught...

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqdqcOvrlc which states that you're saving 25~30 sec per kg over 180km (see 22:23 in the video).

You're doing all of these gymnastics for 2kg which gets you 20s of seconds over 180 km (so thats 10s of seconds over 90).
Last edited by: olmec: Aug 27, 19 7:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next