Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kicrk Core FYI (actually direct drive fyi)
Quote | Reply
I bought a Core about six weeks ago. Zero issues to start. Then I noticed my Garmin power numbers started creeping up vs the Core (+15 to 20W where they had been less than 10). I initially wrote it off to drivetrain loss (which actually turned out to be correct). I realized that as the power gap started growing I started having some squeaking. I thought it was from the Core. It has steadily worsened the past few weeks.

This morning about 20 minutes into my workout the light bulb went off. Grabbed some lube and hit the cassette / chain. Within 5 minutes all squeaking had ceased and power numbers were back in line.

So this is my knucklehead PSA to anyone grabbing a new direct drive. Lube it up. Especially if you're dropping a brand new cassette on. I've ridden wheel-on trainers for years and don't recall ever adding lube while indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Kicrk Core FYI (actually direct drive fyi) [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chains always like lube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 to 20w seems like an incredible amount of drivetrain friction loss. Was the Garmin getting power from a power meter or the kickr? Normally drivetrains consume 3% power total.
Quote Reply
Re: Kicrk Core FYI (actually direct drive fyi) [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
15 to 20w seems like an incredible amount of drivetrain friction loss. Was the Garmin getting power from a power meter or the kickr? Normally drivetrains consume 3% power total.

Vectors (first gen). Chain is a little black. Looking back at my workout now, three rounds of 3x2' intervals. Average NP for each round was 267, 258, 261 (lube applied between first and second round) on the Vectors. Same intervals TrainerRoad / Kickr logged 241W for each. So maybe it didn't come down as much as I thought despite the noise going away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep that make sense somewhere about 5-7w. If you look at a lube chart that’s about the difference between the best and worst lubes (which of course were freshly applied for testing). Gonna put some rock n roll on when I get home! Squirt isn’t good indoors, leaves too much residue on the floor!
Quote Reply
Re: Kicrk Core FYI (actually direct drive fyi) [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
Yep that make sense somewhere about 5-7w. If you look at a lube chart that’s about the difference between the best and worst lubes (which of course were freshly applied for testing). Gonna put some rock n roll on when I get home! Squirt isn’t good indoors, leaves too much residue on the floor![/quote]

Seems to be a lesson we've all learned the hard way.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply