Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr Gen1 Freehub Sticking
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the freehub on a Gen1 Wahoo Kickr sticking. When I try to free wheel, cassette will try to keep spinning and I'll get a ton of chain slap against my chainstay. If i unclip from the pedals, they'll keep spinning like a fixie. I've already tried removing the body to clean it and apply fresh freehub grease but that didn't work. Anyone have experience with this? My understanding is that Wahoo discontinued replacement freehubs for models older than the 2018 so I'm wondering if I'm screwed
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Gen1 Freehub Sticking [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS replaced my original kickr hub a few weeks ago for the same issue. They are a wahoo dealer and had the order the part, so it doesn't seem (at least then) that those hubs are dc'd.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same issue. Contact Wahoo support. They will send you a replacement spacer that is easy to self install.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Gen1 Freehub Sticking [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spacer causes the issue? That never occured to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Gen1 Freehub Sticking [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that definitely gives me hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a spacer/bushing in the free hub, not a cassette spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confirming what the others have said. There's a small metal spacer that has to be replaced/machined.

https://www.fesports.com.au/..._-_KICKR_14__15__16_

I had the same issue. Difficult to get Kickr spare parts in my neck of the woods so my LBS just filed it down for me and it was good to go again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've replaced the shim twice now on mine, apparently due to "overtightening" of the quick release skewer. Easy to get one shipped from Wahoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eeUiZ4H7kg
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Gen1 Freehub Sticking [dan.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks you guys, that was exactly it. When I pulled off the freehub the second time the spacer came out and was actually cracked in half. I got a replacement from Wahoo in a few days (can't believe they charge $27 for 3 cents worth of metal). My kickr is back in business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Thanks you guys, that was exactly it. When I pulled off the freehub the second time the spacer came out and was actually cracked in half. I got a replacement from Wahoo in a few days (can't believe they charge $27 for 3 cents worth of metal). My kickr is back in business.

Still better than a $1200 new trainer.

This is a perfect example of what this forum can provide.
Quote Reply