Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr Core calibration help
Quote | Reply
Have a friend that is trying to setup his Core. Here is his question.

I have a Wahoo Kickr Q for those that recently got one. I haven't ridden it much, of course today it requested a spin down test, on the 2nd pass/test I couldn't get it above 19.5 mph & I was humping it (so it couldn't complete the test). Any ideas or suggestions? Seems like something is not right.

Really. Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Core calibration help [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First up - Reboot everything. Or close all apps/etc/etc. Nothing else should be connected to it.

- Open the Wahoo Fitness app. (Don't use Zwift, or any other software for the spindown... for now)
- Connect to the CORE
- Check for firmware updates. Do one if it needs it.
- Try a standard spindown
- Failing that, try an advanced spindown by tapping the text five times on the spindown screen (if this is still an option?)

For the test slowly bring the trainer up to 36km/h (or whatever it is in m/h). Don't jam into a sprint and send it into orbit during the spindown ramp up.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently returned a new CORE that had this same problem. Tried to do an initial spindown but it was impossible to do because it seemed to apply a brake (I assume) in direct proportion to the amount of power applied to the pedals. No one could get it above 15MPH. The harder you pedaled, the more drag it created. After a brief try at Zwift, it committed electrostatic suicide. Suddenly, no speed - no watts - you're just sitting by the side of the road. Tried all of GPLama's excellent tips. No use. Upgraded to a new KICKR which performed the spindown and worked wonderfully well for 12 kilometers before blowing it's electronic brains out the same way. After hearing that they were on a rubber mat the Wahoo tech emphasized that the replacement would have a new style power brick that would protect the electronics (from irregular house currents I presume). The third unit seems to working OK but due to being out of town it has only had one session, so I'm reserving my judgement until it gets a few more rides completed.
Last edited by: trimule: Feb 3, 19 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had three Kicke Core replaced... Two had loud noise issues, the third “gold unit” committed the electrostatic suicide described above. This time Wahoo replaced it with a Kickr 18 that works fine but makes some weird noises.

What I guess I am trying to say is that a fair share of the Kickr Core units appear to be defective and that you should likely tell your friend to contact Wahoo’s customer support for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Core calibration help [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard some of these. I’ve had my Core for 3 months now with daily use. Love it. No issues for me. Smooth and quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the one that KingMidas was referring to in the OP. After watching DC recent YouTube video interview w/ Chip Wahoo CEO & reading all those that have had various issues, I don't have a very high level of confidence that the Core will not fail again at some point in time. So rather than take the risk, I will return the Core back to Clever Training before I miss my return window. I really feel like Wahoo rushed this model to production, & didn't do enough testing.
Quote Reply