Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Key things to upgrade on old road bike
Quote | Reply
I have an old Nishiki Silohuette that is currently my commuter bike. I also have a Cervelo One (old style) that is my racing bike. I would like to be able to do a few group rides etc this summer and do not feel that my Cervelo is the right bike for me in that situation. I have never done group rides before and am not that skilled a rider so I am not comfortable using my Cervelo under those conditions.

I have not touched a thing on my bike since I bought it in 1990 (other than a bi-annual tune up by my LBS0. It has down tube shifters, wires run outside the frame, basic handlebars and big honking wheels (I think 32 spoke but about twice as wide as my Cervelo's wheels). The chain has been replaced but that is all.

MY questions is: What should I upgrade and in what order is the most effective to upgrade the bike? Wheels, drivechain, handlebars etc. Obviously there is a budget restraint otherwise I would buy a new bike. Thanks.

BTW, I am not a bike guy so please dumb it down for me.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Key things to upgrade on old road bike [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest improvement for any bike is in the wheels. They are the heaviest component subject to aero and rotating mass issues. They even could outweigh your heaviest component--the frame. The wheels are one area you can shave pounds of weight and drag all at once. As usall the more the benefit the more the cost. Going to nice tires is an option and of course a new wheelset could be even a better way to go. I would really only do that if those new wheels could be used on both bikes without much hassle. Then you would also have a spare to take along on race day in case the Tri bike has a flat, as well as you can train with the new wheels on both bikes and save the best wheels for race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are just going to be training on it, why upgrade anything? Make sure it is safe, ie no frayed or rusted cables, worn brakes, headset is smooth (an often overlooked area), etc. Peel off the bar tape and check your handlebar for corrosion, if you haven't already. Also, double check your saddle height to keep it consistent with your race bike. I also like to have the same model of saddle on all my bikes, but that is optional, of course.

Assuming that your wheels are normal 700c road race wheels, you might want to put on a decent set of durable training tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Key things to upgrade on old road bike [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason K hit the nail on the head...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You most definately should not attempt to group ride on a tri bike and riding with roadies is the best way to improve your basic cycling skills. IMO, this should be mandatory for every triathlete.

I'm a huge fan of upgrading old road bikes. Some of those lugged steel frames are much better riding than the aluminium frames of today. I have a beautiful old Miele that I am upgrading to modern specs this winter so I should be able to help you out with this.

First off, what gruppo do you have? Is it indexed or friction? Is it Shimano, Campy or Suntour? How many speeds? I'd begin an upgrade here. Get back with this info and then we can start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, there is not much left that doesn't need upgrading on your Nashiki. So far we have recomendations for a new component group ($500), new wheels (at least $200) and a seat ($100). It's just too expensive to try to modernize and old bicycle. What do you have, 6 speeds? You won't be able to use 9speed, the frames are different. Same with the wheels, yours might be 28 inch, not 700c. It's time to hang that one in the garage and go looking for another road bike. Try www.roadbikereview.com for used bikes. There are some great deals. Or Chuck's bikes or GVH for new ones. Good luck and enjoy the group rides

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Key things to upgrade on old road bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right. Going to use this post to help in the negotiations with my wife.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Key things to upgrade on old road bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through the same dilemma with an old Cannondale road bike I have. It mainly stays on the trainer, but is roadworthy enough to be a rainy day bike. I've even done a couple of 50-milers on it with no problems. I had thought about upgrading it with new paint and a new group, but in the end, it just wouldn't be financially prudent. I found a Sora 8-speed groupset for $200 online and a finishing kit for $165. Add to that at least $150 for paint and shipping, labor, etc., and I'd easily have over $600 in that 15-year-old frame. Just not worth it when I could have a brand new bike for around $500. So the C'dale remains on the trainer, where it is seeing more miles right now than my good bike.

RP
Quote Reply