Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry
Quote | Reply
20 horses in the field and $50K per entry so $1M from the entries covers the winner's spoils. The organizers pay for $2M out of their pocket front the rest of the field.

A few years ago ASO was paying out $4M of prize money from the TDF and in the same year (I cannot remember which one) Ironman actually paid out $4.2M from its entire series.

I was surprised at how low the race win prize was at the Kentucky Derby but I understand this is not the main financial upside. Now the value of the horse is for breeding purposes.

Nevertheless prize money seemed low. At least this is what the announcers shared.
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The winner receives $1.86M. or 62% of the total purse. The Jockey is required to receive 10% of the winnings of the horse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/01/2021-kentucky-derby-how-much-prize-money-the-winning-jockey-will-earn.html

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 2, 21 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I was just going off what the announcer said. I am not a horse racing fan, but I will generally watch any live sport for head to head competition entertainment.

It is still not much of a prize given the underlying industry machinery and financial ecosystem.
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's good to point stuff like this out. Going around is "Kentucky Derby Horse Sold for $1000 in 2019". Since then, has at least 500k invested into him. People have to quit acting like anyone with $1000 can win the Kentucky Derby.
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, not knowing much about horse racing, how regulated is the juicing, steroids, blood bags and epo like pharma assist in all these investments? I assume it is worse than any pros sport because they are are not even dealing with humans who can make up their own minds? I assume there must be a decent amount of regulatory oversight to make sure ""investments" don't get out of hand.

The first thing I thought of when they were talking about the most winning trainer of all time was "Johan Bruyneel equivalent"....whatever it takes to win under the rules of the game.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 2, 21 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a lot like cycling. They say they've cleaned it up, but now record holding 7-time Kentucky Derby trainer Bob Baffert was recently under multiple investigations which he managed to appeal and weasel out of. Like baseball, cycling etc, i'd rather just see superhuman (or horse) performances anyway so have at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
It's good to point stuff like this out. Going around is "Kentucky Derby Horse Sold for $1000 in 2019". Since then, has at least 500k invested into him. People have to quit acting like anyone with $1000 can win the Kentucky Derby.

As the old saying goes..."Do you know how to get a $1,000,000 in the horse racing business? Start with $5,000,000"
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: May 2, 21 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
bretzky wrote:

As the old saying goes..."Do you know how to get a $1,000,000 in the horse racing business? Start with $5,000,000"

So it is slightly less profitable than the bike shop business.
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The winner receives $1.86M. or 62% of the total purse. The Jockey is required to receive 10% of the winnings of the horse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/01/2021-kentucky-derby-how-much-prize-money-the-winning-jockey-will-earn.html

Correct. There were a couple of good stories this year including the winner who was originally sold for $1000 because the person who owned him ran into money trouble and had to sell part of her horse stable. And the horse that ran third is owned by a group of young guys who played football together at, I think, Brown University.

I own a small share of last year‘s Kentucky Derby winner, Authentic. It was a damn exciting Kentucky Derby last year and then the breeders cup and now he’s standing at stud for $75,000 per.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kentucky Derby: $3M purse, $1M win, $50K entry [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
bretzky wrote:

So it is slightly less profitable than the bike shop business.

$1000 horse and $5M of dope !!!!
Quote Reply