Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kask Protone Helmet advice
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new helmet with good ventilation. I've been looking at the Kask Protone. I currently have a Giro Air attack...no shield and it's ventilation is not that great. Is Kask a lot better and do they fit better with the mushroom effect? I would use the helmet for training and racing. Or, is there another helmet u may recommend?
Thanks,
Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larryl115 wrote:
I'm in the market for a new helmet with good ventilation. I've been looking at the Kask Protone. I currently have a Giro Air attack...no shield and it's ventilation is not that great. Is Kask a lot better and do they fit better with the mushroom effect? I would use the helmet for training and racing. Or, is there another helmet u may recommend?
Thanks,
Larry

A resounding yes! I have the Protone. And I really wanted the AAS when it came out. Then I tried it on and looked like a fool. The Protone is hands down the most comfortable helmet I've worn and I work in a shop so I've tried a lot (but far from all). It also is a way smaller profile than Giro helmets and definitely gets rid of the mushroom effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
The Protone is hands down the most comfortable helmet I've worn and I work in a shop so I've tried a lot (but far from all). It also is a way smaller profile than Giro helmets and definitely gets rid of the mushroom effect.

x2

The Kask Protone is like the S-Works road shoes of helmets -- I never thought a helmet could be this comfortable and fit so well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^+1 or whatever

I really like my protone, more than I thought I would even. Kask makes some very nice helmets.

The one caution is that Kask (at least in the US) used to have some pretty mediocre customer service... not sure if that's changed, but at one time it was not so great.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same comments above, the Protone is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another +1 vote here. Great fit, high quality and surprisingly well vented.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on heat management during long slow climbs (less than 10 mph)? I tried one on and put a fan in front of my head and the airflow over your head at speed is awesome. I just worry that without the airflow at slow speeds, the top back portion that isn't vented as much will get hot.

2 people I know who have had it for a few weeks say it's okay, but we haven't gotten to the hottest part of the year yet. They do also say it's very comfortable and highly adjustable which I also agree with.

Looking to replace my Synthe, primarily for road cycling training and racing...which does involve climbing in hot weather. I know a fully vented helmet would be the coolest option, so at this point I'm debating between the LG Course and the Protone. I don't like how flimsy the internal system is with the Synthe...which does make for a light helmet though.

Sky seems to opt for the Protone, even on the hot mountain days...so maybe it isn't as hot as it looks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add one more vote for the comfort of the Protone. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Well, actually, it's a tie - I also just got a Kask Rex MTB helmet which is also wonderful.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank u everyone for the info! Protone it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a good helmet and many people love them. But some sports glasses do not play nicely with Kask's head retention system. Be sure to try your sunglasses with the helmet on before pulling the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley Jawbreakers work fine in that regard; the longer arms of Radarlocks cause them to stick way out on the Protone when docked in the helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely agree with the above comments I love mine however I noticed this is true as well, my smith glasses fit and work fine but not as well as with other helmets kinda weird....

Ghost234 wrote:
It is a good helmet and many people love them. But some sports glasses do not play nicely with Kask's head retention system. Be sure to try your sunglasses with the helmet on before pulling the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
I absolutely agree with the above comments I love mine however I noticed this is true as well, my smith glasses fit and work fine but not as well as with other helmets kinda weird....

Ghost234 wrote:

I haven't has any issues with my Oakley or Ryder shades, but recently was given a pair of Koo Open Sunglasses (http://road.cc/...-koo-open-sunglasses) and they fit like a charm. Hardly surprising given that Koo is a new sunglass brand started by Kask.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I really like about my protone is that it isn't massive on my small head. No trouble storing Oakley m frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to resurrect this and ask a Kask question.........

My co. just got an account with them (for industrial applications). I can purchase a helmet of my choice for cost, so I thought I'd get a cycling helmet. Naturally, the first thing I thought of was the Bambino. Is that helmet comfortable enough to be an everyday helmet (or, almost every day)? If not......which one would you purchase?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you TTing every day, the answer is probably yes. Bu if you mean cycling everyday, don't think it's a good idea.
Infinity would be the way to go if you are looking for everyday aero lid.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
If you TTing every day, the answer is probably yes. Bu if you mean cycling everyday, don't think it's a good idea.
Infinity would be the way to go if you are looking for everyday aero lid.

I have a Bambino and a Protone. Totally agree with the above that you wouldn't want to wear the Bambino as and everyday helmet. If you want an aero-road helmet then the Infinity...if you want a very comfortable and more ventilated road helmet...go with the Protone.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do most of your riding in hot or cold conditions?

I have an Infinity which I use pretty much all the time here in the UK. It is especially good for commuting when the rain sets in. However it is not well ventilated and is on the heavy side of standard road helmets so in a warmer climate I would go with the Protone.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Protone yesterday from Competitive Cyclist and want to love it, but like others it doesn't mesh well with the Radars.

Did anyone ever figure out a solution, or should I be searching for an alternative?
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
I got a Protone yesterday from Competitive Cyclist and want to love it, but like others it doesn't mesh well with the Radars.

Did anyone ever figure out a solution, or should I be searching for an alternative?

I have a Protone, and wear Roka GP-1x, and yes, the rear retention interferes with the arms of the glasses - it is annoying. After trying many different way to wear the helmet and glasses, I have found these three are the best "for me":

1. The retention system is free floating, up and down. I have it set as far up (into the helmet) as possible. When you move your head, it will adjust a little, up and down. At first this was annoying, but I am used to it now.
  2. Do not wear the helmet so low on your forehead that the front edge of the helmet touch the glasses. This causes the glasses to move around, and the arms will push the glasses off your nose. Instead, I wear the helmet so that there is about 1/3" to 1/2" gap between the top of glasses and the front of helmet.
  3. My glasses arms overlap the rear retention, but as long as the front of the helmet isn't pushing down on the glasses, they stay put.

Quote Reply
Re: Kask Protone Helmet advice [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
I'll add one more vote for the comfort of the Protone. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Well, actually, it's a tie - I also just got a Kask Rex MTB helmet which is also wonderful.

Ressurection of this thread! How does the Rex fit in comparison to the protone? I have the protone and it's the best helmet I've ever worn. Does the Rex fit the same?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it.

I used to rock the Catlike Whisper for airflow as dorky as it looks. Also had an air attack for tri.

Recently moved to the Protone that I love and the LG P-09 for shorter cooler races. Love the switch. The Protone is my favorite of the 4. Whisker is relegated to commuter duty and P-09 to sprints. Protone gets any training ride with effort and major race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another +1 for the Protone. It fits like a glove, light, secure, doesn't give the mushroom effect, and has great ventilation.
Quote Reply