Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT
Quote | Reply
I need a new aero lid and I’m torn between the Kask Bambino or the Smith Podium TT

No shops really carry them around where
I am so it’s impossible to try them on and feel for fit.

Main points of concern are:

- ventilation
- magnetic visor stability
- overall comfort and adjustability.

Who’s played with these??

EDIT: Added a shot of my current position on the bike for feedback on what would be a better fit for it.

3toronto Triathlon
Last edited by: 416_CBass: Feb 2, 18 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Bambino used a few times that I dont use if want for killer deal just saying ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth. I used to ride with a Bamdino. Got some fast times on it, but found it a bit hot. I've since switched to a Giro Aerohead. Figured something that ugly must be fast! (actually, it fit my position a little better).

If you felt so inclined, I bet posting a picture of you in your aero position would let some of the experts around here make a suggestion based on your position. If you're just curious about "fit" in terms of size, their medium fit me like my medium rudy project and kask road helmets.

Good luck with your search!
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size and year? is it the new version or the old?

Color?

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [woodnat1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never thought about doing that because I feel like those type of posts are a bit...........well.........."attention seeking"

I'm totally not that guy and dont want to come accross as a "hey look at me! I can be aero too!"

but thats a good idea - let me do that here then :)

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Smith podium, very nice fit and excellent visor. Not too hot.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Smith Podium TT. It's the best tri helmet I've used. Ventilation works well and I've never found it to be hot. Visor is great. My only gripe is that under a very specific wind/speed condition, the wind going through the vents sounds like someone saying "on your left." It sounds absurd but after I heard "on your left" a hundred times only to look and find no one there, I figured out it was the helmet. I just ignore it now.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
I have the Smith Podium TT. It's the best tri helmet I've used. Ventilation works well and I've never found it to be hot. Visor is great. My only gripe is that under a very specific wind/speed condition, the wind going through the vents sounds like someone saying "on your left." It sounds absurd but after I heard "on your left" a hundred times only to look and find no one there, I figured out it was the helmet. I just ignore it now.

Awesome. Thank you for the feedback - how is the sizing? I have a 58cm head so it kinda puts me right in between medium and large - so not sure which to get.

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the look of the Smiths, but a mate that's got said he had a problem with weak magnets and the visor not staying on. The same problem I had with the Kask Bambino 1. The new model Bambino fixed that.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s hard to believe. I have the podium and the magnet is very strong. Unless your friend is water skiiing in it, I can’t see the visor coming off. It would take a lot of force to remove the visor.

zedzded wrote:
I like the look of the Smiths, but a mate that's got said he had a problem with weak magnets and the visor not staying on. The same problem I had with the Kask Bambino 1. The new model Bambino fixed that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you seem very head up...i rekon neither...giro advantage imo. I have had the bambino and it is a nice helmet, but one where i think you need to have a really low head position for.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mwanner13, would you say the magnets are strong enough to keep the visor intact in ironman transition bag where it gets bumped into others bags on the racking? Us a deal clincher for mne that as keep having that problem with my catlike!
Last edited by: jubbely: Feb 3, 18 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
you seem very head up...i rekon neither...giro advantage imo. I have had the bambino and it is a nice helmet, but one where i think you need to have a really low head position for.

^This. Bambino, when it works, is for a lower head position. The Smith tests "okay" but I have yet to see it really compete with the big boys. Doesn't mean it won't for you, but I've tested it quite a bit lately. Is there any particular reason you're limiting yourself to those two?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

^This. Bambino, when it works, is for a lower head position. The Smith tests "okay" but I have yet to see it really compete with the big boys. Doesn't mean it won't for you, but I've tested it quite a bit lately. Is there any particular reason you're limiting yourself to those two?

Can you be more specific as to who the 'big boys' are that would work better for most people who don't have a Sebi K position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
. Is there any particular reason you're limiting yourself to those two?

I want a short tail helmet that allows for visor removal and that covers the ears.

I keep my head face down majority of the time and get a feeling of anxiety If there is no airflow when I’m over heating (ie a steep climb)

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest waiting for the Oakley Aro 7.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I would suggest waiting for the Oakley Aro 7.

I was actually eying that one as well but couldn’t find anyone that sold it or stocked it.

Have you used it?

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not out yet. I've tested it and the numbers are very good on everyone. Even one guy, who is a Master's World Champion in TT but doesn't use a full aero helmet because everything he's tested in the past has been slower than his Specialized Evade. He's clearly an outlier, but the Oakley was faster for him. The athlete's that have tried it like the comfort and rave about the optics. There's venting next to the ears, so it's a bit loud.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Does it beat the Giro AeroHead or the Vanquish?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
That’s hard to believe. I have the podium and the magnet is very strong. Unless your friend is water skiiing in it, I can’t see the visor coming off. It would take a lot of force to remove the visor.

zedzded wrote:

yeah not sure. The problem I had with the original Bambino was getting it on in a rush in transition, because of the weaker magnets you'd sometimes fuck around getting it on, the new Bambino, you get the visor close to the helmet the magnets pull it into place. Probably not a reason not to get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Aeolus!
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Interesting. Does it beat the Giro AeroHead or the Vanquish?

First, just a point of clarification, the Vanquish isn't an aero helmet, it's an aero road helmet. It's not meant to compete with full aero helmets. It's design, at least initially, was to be a "sprinter's" helmet. I just want to be fair to that product and not compare it to full aero helmets. It's been very, very good as an aero road helmet.

The Oakley, thus far in limited testing, has been right there with the best full aero helmets including the Aerohead. Sometimes it's been a watt or two faster, sometimes a watt or two slower. I have yet to see it be "slow" on anyone.

Getting around to the original poster, when an athlete is sitting up a bit in their aero position, it's a bit of a crap shoot as to which helmet might be good aero-wise. Lower positions tend to test more consistently from helmet to helmet, and we're really seeing a convergence of results, which is why I tend to think we're getting to peak aero in this arena. This is great news for the consumer, as choices can begin to be focused on fit and desired features (i.e. shield vs no shield).

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Kask Bambino or Smith Podium TT [cbre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbre wrote:
Bontrager Aeolus!

We see excellent results with the Aeolus, but it's overlooked here in the U.S. because it's not available. Also, it's not vented. Want to make a fast helmet? Eliminate vents.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What have you seen to be the best choice for no visor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing the Kask Bambino the last couple of seasons and really like! From the looks of it, you could think that the ventilation wouldn't be great, but it really is. Love that I can flip the visor upside down in T1 and then just flip it back once I'm on the bike and up to speed. Makes it super easy and fast to get on.

I tend to move around a lot when I ride, so having the short bobtail really made a difference for me. All in all, I have no desire to change the helmet so that says a lot... :-)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply

Prev Next