Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
As for the coaching change, I started working with Ben in October of 2016, so long before the 2017 Worlds. He had been with Adam Zucco for years, and they were collaborating with Ryan Bolton. Bolton took over the reigns about 8 months prior to Rio, and thru Rio. The deciding factor to switch is something he would have to share, as we didn't really discuss it much. But I think the results show his decision has paid off.

I don't think you can make this claim without equal variables. As you mentioned, he's just scratching the surface. For all we know, he could have continued to grow and develop under these coaches as well. I'm not saying that a change to your philosophy, etc didn't help him, but rather it's tough to compare vs his past work when the growth curve for someone his age is naturally positive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

Are you planning to write an updated version of Triathlon 2.0, to incorporate what you've learned in the few years since its release?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
I saw him do the jump test, and it was clear he was very uncomfortable with his jumping. It made me realize we had to address it. Fast forward one year later, and he does that same test, and it was over 20% improvement in the test. The USOC staff told me they never really see those kind of improvements at that level.

Can you explain what this jump test or is there a link for it?

Thank you

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when the growth curve for someone his age is naturally positive. //

Would it be safe to say then, that he hasn't fucked him up?? Just from all the readings and transparency from this collaboration, I think they are a good match for each other, and both have benefited..But the real test is going to come now, because this was an unexpected result, and they have to try and make some sense out of some failures. He didnt add it in his 1/2 marathon Tri progression chart he posted up, but after that 1;12 has to be a 1;16 now. When you look at that kind of graph, it is time to hit the books and pavement hard again!!! (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Is Ben a smasher on the down stroke or more of a 360 degree pedal spinner?

TIA

To pedal at 100 rpm regularly, you have to be more of a "360 spinner". It's really about not fighting the upstroke, and then engaging the pedal as soon as possible thru the top.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
JimVance wrote:
As for the coaching change, I started working with Ben in October of 2016, so long before the 2017 Worlds. He had been with Adam Zucco for years, and they were collaborating with Ryan Bolton. Bolton took over the reigns about 8 months prior to Rio, and thru Rio. The deciding factor to switch is something he would have to share, as we didn't really discuss it much. But I think the results show his decision has paid off.

I don't think you can make this claim without equal variables. As you mentioned, he's just scratching the surface. For all we know, he could have continued to grow and develop under these coaches as well. I'm not saying that a change to your philosophy, etc didn't help him, but rather it's tough to compare vs his past work when the growth curve for someone his age is naturally positive.

I'm not making a critical statement of his past coach(es). If Ben was injured all the time under me, or performing poorly, I think it would be safe to say that decision wouldn't have paid off. But as long as he is seeing success and improvement, then the decision to change certainly wasn't bad.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [Torrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Torrent wrote:
Hi Jim,

Are you planning to write an updated version of Triathlon 2.0, to incorporate what you've learned in the few years since its release?

Thanks

Maybe. I think I would likely just write a whole new book.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
JimVance wrote:
I saw him do the jump test, and it was clear he was very uncomfortable with his jumping. It made me realize we had to address it. Fast forward one year later, and he does that same test, and it was over 20% improvement in the test. The USOC staff told me they never really see those kind of improvements at that level.

Can you explain what this jump test or is there a link for it?

Thank you

Sensors and video analysis. Here's a link to an Instagram post I did on it back in 2016.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
when the growth curve for someone his age is naturally positive. //

Would it be safe to say then, that he hasn't fucked him up?? Just from all the readings and transparency from this collaboration, I think they are a good match for each other, and both have benefited..But the real test is going to come now, because this was an unexpected result, and they have to try and make some sense out of some failures. He didnt add it in his 1/2 marathon Tri progression chart he posted up, but after that 1;12 has to be a 1;16 now. When you look at that kind of graph, it is time to hit the books and pavement hard again!!! (-;

Very true. It's been an interesting year. There were three results we didn't really like this year.

Abu Dhabi WTS - 29th (He was still returning to racing after the injury from Super League Mallorca, and he needed the Olympic points, but it was meh)
Challenge Championship - 12th (This went bad, we lost some of the strength from Oceanside prep, timing was bad with race schedule to be as prepared as needed)
70.3 World Championships - 10th (Won't say a top 10 is bad, but certainly disappointing)

Of course, we had to balance with the 3 goals of getting eligible for the Olympics, (Top 140 Olympic points ranking), his MR development, and 70.3 racing. And with that balance, it's been...

Super League Singapore - 5th
Abu Dhabi MR - 2nd
Edmonton WTS - 7th
Chengdu World Cup - 2nd
St Anthony's - 1st
Barbados Conti Cup - 1st
Oceanside 70.3 - 1st
Escape From Alcatraz - 1st
Tokyo Test Event MR - 3rd

Like I say, interesting year. A lot of highs, and a couple strikes. I feel better about next year, as the Olympics will be the focus basically thru August 1, then we have all the way until November 29th for 70.3 Worlds in Taupo. Will be much different than this year's approach, with focused periods, instead of balancing three goals.

Of course, this puzzle solving is the fun of coaching.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be an ass, so please dont read it that way. I understand that as a pro coach, and pro athlete, a lot of the money making is in the marketing and not necessarily the results

Do you see any conflict of interest in the following statement? "planning to write a book if it works"
If I was Ben and I saw that part of your plan was to write a book about these unique (and seemingly conflicting) goals, I'd be a little alarmed. Like, are you doing this because it's what in his best interests? Or because it's in your best interests? Has Ben asked you this? Are you and Ben looking to do something similar to Carmichael and Lance?
The number of times you've brought up your books in this thread alone would also lead me to ask those questions.

I ask this because we see a lot of pro's advertising things and using equipment that might not be the best on the market, but it must be in their financial best interests.
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
I'm not trying to be an ass, so please dont read it that way. I understand that as a pro coach, and pro athlete, a lot of the money making is in the marketing and not necessarily the results

Do you see any conflict of interest in the following statement? "planning to write a book if it works"
If I was Ben and I saw that part of your plan was to write a book about these unique (and seemingly conflicting) goals, I'd be a little alarmed. Like, are you doing this because it's what in his best interests? Or because it's in your best interests? Has Ben asked you this? Are you and Ben looking to do something similar to Carmichael and Lance?
The number of times you've brought up your books in this thread alone would also lead me to ask those questions.

I ask this because we see a lot of pro's advertising things and using equipment that might not be the best on the market, but it must be in their financial best interests.

Fair question...

Yes, Ben knows about the book idea, as we discussed it in our first meeting to discuss me potentially coaching him. It's why I asked him to commit to technology and data. I presented to him a business strategy, on top of training strategy, to help him reach his goals and make a living in the sport. And of course, who do think would be on the cover of the book? :-)

There hasn't been any conflicts of interest, because we see us as a team. We have both greatly benefited from the relationship.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for being so open and honest and willing to answer harder questions.

If athletes and coach's were more open about why their doing what their doing and using what their using, I think i'd be more likely to look into what they are endorsing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember how exactly it works but how does one qualify for the MTR in Tokyo? Does Ben need to qualify for the individual event to be considered for the MTR? If so, what does Ben need to do in 2020 to qualify for the individual event?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I can't remember how exactly it works but how does one qualify for the MTR in Tokyo? Does Ben need to qualify for the individual event to be considered for the MTR? If so, what does Ben need to do in 2020 to qualify for the individual event?

Yes you have to qualify for the individual event (you don't have to race the individaul event, you just have to take the spot).

Ben's pathway to Tokyo (really anyone's at this point as no men have AQ'd and only 1 AQ is left out of the 2 or 3 spots):

-Finish podium at Yokohoma '20. Or be 1st American in top 8 and he's automatically made it.

- "discretion" pick based on MTR

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 13, 19 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fascinating to see that run-walk is incorporated at training for such elite athletes.

What pace / power or HR is targeted for the run portion of run-walk?

Also, could you elaborate more on the 48 he rule? Seems like a breakthrough workout followed by 2 easy days of training. But I suspect (I am sure) it is going to be more elaborate than that.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
Thanks Jim, very grateful for this. What an amazing aerobic engine he has, 97 is beyond comprehension. I bet you Daniela Ryf was not above 85.

That would be because Sutto is far from sharing Jim’s enthusiasm for high cadence (for triathletes who do half the volume of bike training compared to pro cyclists, and have to run after).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey coach. First thanks for sharing all the information it's really helpful. I am curious about your opinion about cadence. One popular school of thought says low 80's to save your legs for the run. Another says pedal over 90 and another says self select. Whats you advice? Warning...there may be a follow up question. 😁

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply

Prev Next